Just bought a 1999 corolla, had some questions!

This is my first FWD vehicle, and first Toyota, so I would love some help please :D

First cosmetic issue, I notice many of the corollas from this year have poor door panels. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to go search a local junkyard, or if you guys had some special secret to fixing that easily (easier) than scrounging.

The first problem I notice with the car is that there seems to be some kind of, "rub, rub, rub, rub" noise coming from the front end, driver side. If it was a typical RWD car I might say wheel bearing. It only occurs at certain speeds (around 20mph or less perhaps). When driving on the highway the car also wanders a bit (as if the tie rods were sort of loose) and I wonder if the issue is tied (ha) to that somehow. FWD components scare me.

So next would be, the shocks seem to be terrible. they might be original. The car has a scary bounce at 70mph+. So is my best bet a place like rockauto or is there another 'secret' (I came to the forums for your secrets :D) to lowering or helping the car steady on the highway.

The headliner is also kind of shot. I Was wondering how hard that is to change?

And another thing, I dont see the water pump. I mean, its fine, the car is fine and normal, but I would love to be able to FIND the dang thing (I like to see my accessories haha) so I wonder where it is?
And the online book says the engine has a timing chain, which I find adorable. Can anyone confirm?

Thats it for now: door panels and front end issue/bounce/wander. If I can get that fixed I will be a happy camper for sure, car is wonderful besides that.

I am def. going to swap tires pretty soon just to eliminate that as a cause. Shocks from JY seems like a crazy idea since they are probably the same age and wear as the ones already on my car though. Rockauto has new shocks for like $50 or so, it isn't bad I might just change em. I wonder if anybody has luck with lowering springs/shocks.

What does it mean when it says "performance suspension" in rock auto under shocks?

I took a screen shot to post up and ask what it means Where it says "with performance suspension" in rockauto but it wont let me post links. So can somebody check rockauto, go into the 99 corolla section and look up STRUTS, see the cheapest struts at the top of the list? There are 2 fronts that say "with performance suspension" and two that don't, and they are the same price pretty much. What is the difference, can I use either?

Update: pretty sure the noise is NOT the tires in the front. Maybe "rub rub rub" isnt a good description. its more of a "scrape scrape scrape" or kind of ALMOST a "crunch crunch crunch" (but not really a crunch). Like almost a wheel bearing type noise. Can an axle cause that? Or something associated with an axle? I am going to put it on a lift at some point and yank on all the parts to find it.

Welcome to the FWD gang!

Don't be intimidated by FWD. It's the most easiest cars to drive! That's why oem, switched to front power.

Sounds like you need to inspect your front steering components and suspension(ball joints, lower,upper control arm...ect). Struts die around 60K...depends on the abuse it takes...

The bounce at 70mph, is probably from a wore out spring, or the spring broke...or dead strut/damper.

If you do replace the struts. Try to buy real brands. Brands that only do suspension components.

China strut and spring are low cost, BUT DIE QUICKLY...putting you back to redo your repairs...ive tried saving $ before, failed!... brand name oem replacement struts usually are around $50 each!

You might have a bent steering arm/link or bad wheel bearings. Happened to me when I went into a ditch, in the winter....when the roads were covered with ice. Both, easy to replace, being a corolla!

Fwd, front spension have everything cluttered in one end of the car. Get yourself an aftermarket service manual, i.e. Haynes, Chilton...so you can learn without guessing. It's only scary by not knowing.

And get a laser alignment. Usually under $100. You'll see if it is in spec...so you don't have to chase parts around.

And like what other members said, check if the AXLES are bent.... Happened when I went to that loving ditch!

Good luck bro! Glad you're not learning FWD from a Kia/ Hyundai!

Scrape noise could be something loose like a fender liner rubbing or something judging by your description I would not guess tires or wheel bearing due to your wording. Headliner does tend to begin to sag haven't found a remedy that permanently works yet but headliner glue does temporarly hold. Shocks tend to wear out sooner than expected and rear springs tend to sag. If your vehicle is a US model then yes you do have a timing chain. 1ZZ-FE is your engine code. Timing chain, non-vvti, waste spark ignition system and your water pump would be the pulley with 4 holes under the alternator.

Attachments

NEW parts, rather than junk yard ones are incredibly cheap for these cars. I have over the years with many cars bought both, but with my 1999 Corolla with 235,000 miles on it (I got it with 140,000) when I value my time, I find no appreciable advantage to the used parts. Of course, I avoid the usual suspects and prefer either mail order parts or the sorts of wholesalers that independent repair shops use. The main street guys who advertise on television are too expensive. PS. I completely agree with the advice from previous posters about front end issues...struts, etc. RE: timing chain. DO NOT ASSUME. Search the VIN. Cars built in CANADA may or may not have the chain. There was a motor switch during the run. Cars built in the USA at the plant on the west coast have a timing belt.

NEW parts, rather than junk yard ones are incredibly cheap for these cars. I have over the years with many cars bought both, but with my 1999 Corolla with 235,000 miles on it (I got it with 140,000) when I value my time, I find no appreciable advantage to the used parts. Of course, I avoid the usual suspects and prefer either mail order parts or the sorts of wholesalers that independent repair shops use. The main street guys who advertise on television are too expensive. PS. I completely agree with the advice from previous posters about front end issues...struts, etc. RE: timing chain. DO NOT ASSUME. Search the VIN. Cars built in CANADA may or may not have the chain. There was a motor switch during the run. Cars built in the USA at the plant on the west coast have a timing belt.

Like others said scrap could be stuck caliper in front? Wheel bearing sounds like also ,When get tires like the handing of toyo tires.when got car it had god awful primewell China crap Tires. Handing and noise problem. From them.near ga.toyo tire iplant so good deal here in nortwest fla.

I just redid the headliner in my 2000. It was surprisingly simple but did take patience. First, order a bag of those Door Trim Panel Nylon Clips on Ebay. You can get fifty of em for six bucks or twenty-five for four bucks. You will break some of these removing the trim. I broke some even using a special tool for removing these. Plastic gets brittle over time. I also bought a set of plastic trim tools from Harbor Freight for six bucks to keep from damaging anything to get under the edges of the plastic trim. Next is a video on youtube that will take you step by step thru the process. It is not too bad.
Mine came out nice.Good luck.