Leaving car parked for 1 month

Hi,

I got a new Corolla in June 2015. I am planning to leave my car parked for 30 days. Is there any extra measures I need to take. Would my battery be alright when I start it again?

Yup your car will be fine just double check all your fluids r food and when u return n start it for the first time after a month let it warm up to operating temperature. That's what I did wen I left mine for 6 months but once month I'll start it n run it. You can purchase a low voltage battery charger so that ur battery won't die but I don't think it will.

Here is what I would do and this is a trick that dealers use to prevent their slow moving showroom cars from developing flat spots on the tyres. Get some carpet segments and then park your car on the segments. After that, overinflate the tyres to 40 or so psi. So long as your battery is in good shape and you do not have any electrical issues, 1 month should not be a problem for lead acid batteries. I would also fill up the fuel tank with a high quality regular grade fuel. If you are parking your car indoors and you do not have any pets that could be poisoned, you can also lay down various rodent and insect traps and poisons to prevent infestation while gone. Mice can especially wreak havoc on wiring because they love chewing stuff that tastes good. They taste good because of the eco-friendly wiring that is used these days which are often made from soy. I do not know about Toyota, but Honda and Fords are especially notorious for having wiring insulation that is tasty to rodents. If your car is parked outside or you have pets to worry about, I would not do this because of the dangers to your pets.

I would say for a month you will be alright. Flat spots aren't permanent. My FJ60 sat for more than a year while the motor was being rebuilt. Tires were fine. They did stain the clean concrete in my Dad's garage though. BFG AT fo' life.

Interesting you point that out @HanSolo My friend had to track down a chewed wire on a F-150 once, tore the whole interior apart. Needless to say he hates rodents now... lol

Flat spots can actually permanently disturb the balance of your tyre. I think it depends on a lot of factors though.

If you are a car enthusiast who has suffered rodent damage, you will have a special dislike of those damn critters. Not only can they really do a number of wiring, but they have been known to get into the air filter assembly and chew through that. I maintain an outdoor feeding station for stray and feral cats, and a couple of the ones who really like me catch me 1-2 mice a night. They will leave it either on my driveway next to my Corolla, or on my porch on the floor mat.

rk97

a month is no time at all. Think of all the people who throw a cover over their Miata from November through April... 90% of them aren't doing anything to prep it. Especially if it's in a garage, it will be fine. Even out in the elements, 30 days is less time than 10 yr old vehicles spend on a dealer lot...

almost everyone has a point.

* trickle or low-amp charger is using about 2-3amp of current, just to maintain activity in you battery
* flat spots on tires? 40psi seems perfect for that, but for 30 days? nothing to worry/ as long it has air pressure, OR you may put your vehicle on 4x jack stands
* or old school, ask a friend/neighbour/relative to check tire pressure and start your car once a week for about 15-20mins