LED Daytime Running Lights

RichardParronIII

2013 Toyota Corolla S
The LED Daytime Running Lights are at maximum brightness when the headlights aren't on. When I turn on my headlights, the LED Daytime Running Lights dim down drastically. Is there a way to make the LED Daytime Running Lights not dim down when I turn my headlights on?

Last edited:
Here in Canada the dlr is just meant to be more visible during the day. They burn less intently then the regular lights. When lights are turned on the drl are turned off. That is the way it works. I,myself sure it could be modified but why? It won't add any brightness.

RichardParronIII

2013 Toyota Corolla S
My Daytime Running Lights don't turn off when I turned my headlights on, they just dim down. So, they are always on. I can turn them off with the switch in the cabin, but I like having them on. I think I found the relay that sends less voltage to the Daytime Running Lights when the headlights turn on. I'm going to do a little more research on that and replace that relay. When I do, I'll let everyone know how it turns out and if it fixes the issue of the Daytime Running Lights dimming when the headlights are turned on.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Why would it matter if the DRL's dim? They aren't intended to do the job of the headlights and with them dimming when the headlights are turned on, this means the DRL's will last longer. Sounds like this is by design.

Can u buy these and add them to a car or is the fog light housing modified to have them there. I have a 2013 S and would love to have those over the DRL that is basically the high beam bulb

I'm not trying to use them as an aid in improved lighting while driving at night, I just like them bright all the time. It's more of a preference.
Keep in mind the DRL's are not designed to be bright with the headlights on as well and if you try to un-engineer their intended purpose and make them bright all the time, this will increase the load on that circuit by quite a bit and either blow fuses or start fires.