LED Interior Lamps

Ordered a set for the inside dome light, map lights, trunk light, and the license plate lights from superbrightleds.com. Will take pictures when I get them in. When I get paid again I'll see about getting switchbacks up front and a LED-ready signal flasher, as well as the back-up lights and the taillights and other turn signal indicators (including the mirror ones, if I can figure out how to get to them).

I'll keep the highbeams halogen (thinking Silverstar Ultra) and foglights stock until a 19W yellow gets on the market.

The interior lights are definitely worth while upgrades. My buddy came by and saw the lights and its convinced him to do the same in his vehicles.

I also am looking into switchbacks and other lighting upgrades.

I've always found incandescent dome lights to be worthless for finding things on the floor of the car. I'm happy with some of the results I've seen. I believe the ones I got also support dimming, which will be nice.

I'd also like to find a button to put where my Sport Mode button would be (I have the 6MT) to control interior lights. Want to do the passenger and driver foot wells, plus the cup holders, plus the bottle holders in the front doors, all in blue to match the interior lights (if you want to see where I'm going with this, look up Ford's Ambient Light Package that is on ... hell ... just about every car in their arsenal right now).

Going to design a circuit so that they activate when you open the door with the interior lights, and when you have the parking lights on. The switch on the center console would be the master power. I'll probably make a spot on my fuse box that is hot at all times, and make a simple controller that only activates the LEDs when it gets a signal from the parking lights and dome lights so that I'm not piggy-backing.

Should be relatively simple to do, just a matter of gutting some of the panels and figuring out where to drill and mount the LEDs (and find plastic to cover it for the door and center console cup holders).

Given that I'm in work and school, probably gonna end up being a winter-break project since I'm doing year-round college.

I've always found incandescent dome lights to be worthless for finding things on the floor of the car. I'm happy with some of the results I've seen. I believe the ones I got also support dimming, which will be nice.

I'd also like to find a button to put where my Sport Mode button would be (I have the 6MT) to control interior lights. Want to do the passenger and driver foot wells, plus the cup holders, plus the bottle holders in the front doors, all in blue to match the interior lights (if you want to see where I'm going with this, look up Ford's Ambient Light Package that is on ... hell ... just about every car in their arsenal right now).

Going to design a circuit so that they activate when you open the door with the interior lights, and when you have the parking lights on. The switch on the center console would be the master power. I'll probably make a spot on my fuse box that is hot at all times, and make a simple controller that only activates the LEDs when it gets a signal from the parking lights and dome lights so that I'm not piggy-backing.

Should be relatively simple to do, just a matter of gutting some of the panels and figuring out where to drill and mount the LEDs (and find plastic to cover it for the door and center console cup holders).

Given that I'm in work and school, probably gonna end up being a winter-break project since I'm doing year-round college.
Nice idea, it should be relatively speaking to make that. Why not just use an "Add-A-Circuit" to the fuse box for an always on slot. Wire all the components t that one main wire and switch. Then attach the proper resistors to each individual strand to make sure you don't burn anything out.

I want it to turn on with the door switch and parking lights, give it a feel like it came factory on the car.

The circuit will be easy to design, it's just routing the wiring that will take a while. Probably mount it inside the center console as well.

I'm buying the LEDs from superbrightleds.com (they come with resistors already). I'm thinking a small bulb for the cup holders and doors, and then 7" rod for the foot wells. I just got to make sure I get the dimmest ones. Don't want anything ridiculous bright, just subtle.

Alright, so superbrightleds.com bulbs dim well with minimal flicker (I got them all in Cool White).

Oh, and if you have a moonroof and want to replace the map lights, you're gonna have a bad time (didn't break anything but I did mar the plastic trim - even using a paper towel over the screwdriver - so I had to blend it in with fine grit).

Best advice with that is be patient. Basically, you gotta pull the lens down, and you'll wedge the screwdriver between the lens and the back-plate, and pry toward you at the clips to break them loose (6 total, you can see them looking at the edge of the lends for the clear slit). Be patient. I imagine it is really easy to crack or bend the lens if you are reckless.

Oh, and if you replace the middle dome lamp, I'd be careful and look at the dimensions if you get an over-sized bulb. It is very tight in there.

One bulb had a prong that was bent just enough to lose connection, luckily I checked everything before putting them together so I didn't have to take things back apart.

I'll get pictures up tonight when dark-time gets here.

I really didn't have any issue getting the dome or map lights out and I have a sunroof. However I do have special tool that made it easier.

But definitely take your time.

The dome light was cakewalk, so was the trunk and the license plate lights were relatively painless. The map lights were more of a pain and I was paranoid about breaking a barely 2 month-old car, LOL.

Just use high intensity floodlights. That way the interior will be lit up very brightly and when you drive around at night everyone will point and say, "Wow! Look at that super cool car!" :thumbsup::thumbup::w00t::clap::brows::cowboy::):D

The clear plastic piece you twist left (facing toward the back of the car), and it pops off. Pull bulb out, put bulb in, then align it back and twist right to lock it in place.