Little box above P for Park

My son just bought a 2014 Corolla S Plus, red, very nice car. He totaled a 2004 Corolla, and this is a nice upgrade. It has the NAV package, sunroof, and upgraded audio.Bought it from CarMax, nice experience.
So here is my question. There is a little box above the P for Park on the console. It appears to be missing the cover. I cannot find what it does and what it means to have a missing cover. Any help is appreciated.

If I'm not mistaken that will let you change the transmissions gear without the key being inserted if you stick something in it and depress the button inside

I'm not sure about the keyless start since my car doesn't have that, but the point of the button is so you can shift it into neutral without a key. The little cover only snaps into place so it wouldn't offer any protection.

jolly

Actually, it's hiding an emergency unlock device if the trans doesn't unlock by itself. So it's only an emergency help and the car would need immediate professional expertise.

Actually, it's hiding an emergency unlock device if the trans doesn't unlock by itself. So it's only an emergency help and the car would need immediate professional expertise.
It's exactly what I said it was and no, if you press the button it doesn't need immediate professional attention. It simply unlocks the transmission shift lever.

The cover was likely removed for some reason and lost. And to clarify, you don't need the key to push in to release the lever, anything will work, and you don't need professional expertise if you do unlock the shift lever. All it is a safety defeat to be able to move the car should it not start. Once the tool used to unlock is taken out of the equation the shift lever will shift back to park and be locked in place again, no big deal.