Machen's Toyota Columbia,Mo. bad advice cost me $175.00.

C908

I just purchased a new cruise control lever for my wife's 06 Corolla. When I received it I noticed the new switch had 2 wires where as the original had 3 wires. I called the dealer and questioned them, I was told the switch had been redesigned and 3rd wire was eliminated and no longer necessary. After installation my horn no longer worked. I thought maybe I had done something when installing the cruise switch ,after checking the fuse and relay with no success I took it to a local dealer to have it checked. After they did all of their testing the problem was traced back to the new cruise switch missing the third wire. The tech was able to modify the new switch adding the 3rd wire to correct the problem. My repair bill was $175.00 all of it being labor. I contacted Machen's Toyota and requested I be reimbursed the $175.00 due to their error, I also contacted Regional office in Kansas City. In case anyone else needs to replace their cruise lever the original part # 84630-02040 has been replaced by #84630-02041. The original part has been discontinued and replaced by the second part #. The only difference was eliminating the 3rd wire which is required to operate the horn. When this change was made I would have thought the part description should mention a 3rd wire must be installed to operate the horn. If they refuse to reimburse me I will be filing a complaint with the State Attorney Generals Office.