MPG Upgrades

Are there any cost effective mileage upgrades for the 2014 Corolla?
I see performance upgrades and even a few for handling but I did not buy the car for that. Just wanted a comfortable dependable car to go to work and back with an occasional weekend trip.

If you want a dependable car, keep it stock. The only thing that I would do to a 2014 would be using a high quality synthetic oil (like toyota fluid, AMSOIL, or the likes). Don't go to Bobby Joes mechanic shop and get the $25 oil change. Go to bobby joes mechanic shop with your own oil and pay him labor for an oil change.

Keep up on your maintenence and enjoy! :)

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Are there any cost effective mileage upgrades for the 2014 Corolla?
I see performance upgrades and even a few for handling but I did not buy the car for that. Just wanted a comfortable dependable car to go to work and back with an occasional weekend trip.
Great post BDaniel! :thumbup1:

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils have been documented to improve fuel economy and save money. The AMSOIL P.i. fuel additive has also been proven to increase fuel economy. You don't need to wait until your Toyota Care plan expires to enjoy the benefits and savings of AMSOIL products. Using AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, I save hundreds of dollars per year in improved fuel economy. So even if someone gave me another oil for free, or did free oil changes for me, it would cost me more to use than AMSOIL. :thumbsup: I take care of all Corolla Forum members with a price that will make you smile. :)

AMSOIL P.i. - A Study in Performance (G2543) (1 MB PDF)

A Study of SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oils (G3115)

Aftermarket lightweight aluminum wheels that are lighter in weight than the stock wheels can also help to improve fuel economy.

NGK Iridium spark plugs have been dyno proven to increase horsepower and thus, fuel economy.

Low Rolling Resistance tires can also save a lot of money in increased fuel economy. I have personally used the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 and documented about a 2 mpg fuel economy increase. Less rolling resistance means improved fuel economy. These tires pay for themselves in improved fuel economy -

Last edited by a moderator:
Miles per gallon gas check

I have just made a round trip from Irving, Texas to Rockwall, Texas.
I set the cruise control for 60 MPH on I-30 and made no stops in between.
According to my calculations I got 44.5 Miles per gallon.
Is this normal. As far as I can tell when I refilled, the pump cut off at the fill as usual and the gas gauge is indicating full, but this seems a bit high Miles per gallon.
76.3 miles shown on "Trip A" odometer divided by 1.714 gallons shown on the pump and receipt = 44.5 Miles Per Gallon. The EPA figure is only 38 MPG.
Any comments from other owner on what I might have done wrong in my computations to get such a high MPG figure ?

EPA fuel economy ratings are notoriously low. It is not uncommon to get much better fuel mileage than the EPA ratings.

Different fuel pumps have different pressure cutoffs so that can make fuel economy calculations inaccurate as well.

EPA fuel economy ratings are notoriously low. It is not uncommon to get much better fuel mileage than the EPA ratings.

Different fuel pumps have different pressure cutoffs so that can make fuel economy calculations inaccurate as well.
I have heard just the opposite that the EPA ratings were a bit optimistic.:rolleyes:

However, I am not complaining.:yes: My previous car was a mid-sized 2000 Mercury Sable which got (on many trips) an average of 20 MPG in town; 30 MPG highway so I am impressed. We had occasion to rent a Corolla for a week and were so impressed with the Corolla we decided on it instead of the Ford Fusion we were thinking of buying . There is actually more room, especialy leg room front and rear in the Corolla-vs-the Sable. This is my first experience with a Toyota and so far I am much impressed in all details with the Corolla.:thumbsup: Of course I suppose one should expect some improvements over 14 years, should not one ?:laughing:

Hey Scott, what are pricing wise for the synthetic oil? I would be buying for 4 cars. 05 MDX, 10 tacoma, 10 rav4 and the new 15 corolla.

I have heard just the opposite that the EPA ratings were a bit optimistic.
I also think they are a bit optimistic for most, Toyota being one of the exceptions.
EPA ratings are in fact established by the manufacturer itself, using of course, idealistic conditions.
EPA just randomly check some of them (hum ! hum ! Ford, Kia, Hyundai, would you come in the office for a moment?:rolleyes:).
Corollas numbers have been double checked.

Actually, my Eco Base get around 50 mpg at 70 mph stable speed on a highway.
For a LE (rated at 38 mpg hyghway EPA) Consumers Report got 43 mpg on the highway.
So Toyota is playing it a bit too safe.

Last edited:
Want better gas mileage?

1.) Weight reduction! Drive naked...and if you have attractive female passengers, make them drive naked as well.
2.) Over inflate your tires(Higher chance of a blow out but better gas mileage!)
3.) Get low rolling resistance tires and lighter alloy rims.
4.) Lower your car(debatable as to whether or not it will increase MPG's but it will make your car look and ride better!)
5.) DO NOT USE CHEAP ASS GAS!
6.) Don't mash the pedal to the metal...there is no metal... our corolla's use a wire in the gas medal...

Want better gas mileage?

1.) Weight reduction! Drive naked...and if you have attractive female passengers, make them drive naked as well.
2.) Over inflate your tires(Higher chance of a blow out but better gas mileage!)
3.) Get low rolling resistance tires and lighter alloy rims.
4.) Lower your car(debatable as to whether or not it will increase MPG's but it will make your car look and ride better!)
5.) DO NOT USE CHEAP ASS GAS!
6.) Don't mash the pedal to the metal...there is no metal... our corolla's use a wire in the gas medal...
Indeed weight is the enemy to both performance and economy.
Again, see here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5lHdZ8gF6E

Over-inflating tires can cause them to wear out prematurely in the center of the tread with the result being costly tire replacement. Any pennies saved in fuel economy on over-inflating tires is more than lost by the cost of replacing expensive tires.

Last edited:

learengi

Corolla Driver
If you want a dependable car, keep it stock. The only thing that I would do to a 2014 would be using a high quality synthetic oil (like toyota fluid, AMSOIL, or the likes). Don't go to Bobby Joes mechanic shop and get the $25 oil change. Go to bobby joes mechanic shop with your own oil and pay him labor for an oil change.

Keep up on your maintenence and enjoy! :)
Or just change the oil yourself. Its not that hard.