Nervous About CVT

So I took home a new 2014 Corolla LE 2 days ago, after looking at Honda Civics and bouncing 2 Toyota dealers off each other. It does seem to be a great car.

My worry is the CVT... is it going to last? This is the first generation Corolla with CVT. All that I care about in a new car is that it lasts me 10 years, or about 200,000 miles. I was looking for a model L with the 4-speed auto, but no one in my area had one (plus it apparently doesn't have cruise control, which I need).

I've always bought cars new, maintained them well, and driven them until they're about to leave me in the ditch. I own a 1995 Izuzu and a 2003 Buick, both of which are still driving fine. I've been burned on transmissions before on other cars (*cough* Honda).

This isn't really a question, but more of a placeholder I guess. Maybe (hopefully not) I'll be back in 8 years with complaints. We're all still glowing with our new 2014's and the outlook is great. I took a leap of faith based on the Corolla brand, even though it's a new tranny. Everyone says don't buy the first year of a new model change, but I did. I like the idea of a CVT and it does seem to do the job, at least while new.

Congrats to all of you with new 2014's. I hope we're not here in a few years with tales of transmission woes.

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup::thumbup1::clap::):balloon::party:

CVT transmission technology has been around for a few years now, so let's hope they have it all worked out. :thumbsup:

The based model, model L, is available with a 4 speed auto. The mileage isn't as good, but the price is cheaper, so possibly a better value over the long haul.

I do hope the CVTs work well. They are Toyota so I'd expect high quality.

I believe Toyota used CVT's in last gen Corolla's in other parts of the world. And they have been made and used in other applications for quite some time now so should be ok