New Corolla (hatch) 2019 official

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I'm so glad they kept the manual! The hatch looks really good and it has the 2.0L M20A engine too making 168 hp. I wonder how the sedan will look.

They need a awd rally version... That be fun... Never been a hatchback kind of guy, I think I've owned two... Nissan 240 sx and a mustang... But those look nice...

So from what I've seen so far I like some things and don't like others.

Pluses......
1. Love the new headlight design
2. Love the new engine and additional 31HP
3. Still a 6MT available!!!!! Yes!!!
4. Wheels still look great
5. Available Apple Car Play is good, even if I don't care
6. Improved chassis and handling
7. Lighter weight hatch
8. Stiffer chassis

Minuses.....
1. Don't like the new front/grill design
2. Not a fan of 18" wheels, rougher ride while 17" is perfect.
3. Don't like the rear design
4. Don't like the more deeply raked rear hatch
5. Side view looks much worse to me then current iM
6. Stereo design is terrible and can't easily be updated

From a looks perspective I like the current iM a lot more. From a performance improvement I like the upgrades and improvements of the new car at least on paper. Hard to know for sure until it's available to drive. I remember this happened to me when the 11th Gen Corolla sedan came out. I loved my 10th Gen and the 11th Gen was a complete let down to me from a looks perspective.

Pluses......
7. Lighter weight hatch
8. Stiffer chassis

Minuses.....

From a looks perspective I like the current iM a lot more. From a performance improvement I like the upgrades and improvements of the new car at least on paper. Hard to know for sure until it's available to drive. I remember this happened to me when the 11th Gen Corolla sedan came out. I loved my 10th Gen and the 11th Gen was a complete let down to me from a looks perspective.
I will say that the 10th gen Corollas do look sportier than the current gen, unless Toyota came out with the Sema edition from a different thread (not going to happen, but looks far better than the 17 and 18)

My dealership has one and I checked it out thoroughly. Nice and all but 0 practicality. Cramped up front, cramped rear seats and leg, head room, and to top it off hatch trunk space is almost non-existent.

If I had to compromise this much room for looks, I would rather get a 2 door sports car with larger trunk space. Wtf Toyota, and on top of that they will charge more for manual I'm hearing? Come on...

Love the greater HP engine - I'm seriously envious of that, although practically speaking, I'm not having problems with what I have.

Liking that the number of CVT shift points have been increased from 6 or 7 or whatever they are, to 10 - hoping they are much less noticeable. Hope they managed not to screw up the firmware doing that.

Love that they got rid of the "gills" where the DRLs/Fogs go. Those were fugly, especially in the '17 facelift version.

Front is still fugly - that lower grille shape will never be anything but fugly, I despise it on my car.

And they added an extra piece at the bottom of that fugly grill that makes it look like it's sticking it's tongue out at you.

@SuperchargedMR2 - it sounds like the the 6MT/TCU/ECU will be doing the rev-matching for you - could you tolerate that?;)

Love the greater HP engine
Liking that the number of CVT shift points have been increased from 6 or 7 or whatever they are, to 10
Only SE/XSE models though. All others (read: more affordable) keep the engine/CVTi-S of the current generation.
@SuperchargedMR2 - it sounds like the the 6MT/TCU/ECU will be doing the rev-matching for you - could you tolerate that?
He'll be happy: the function can be deactivate. :p

Love the greater HP engine - I'm seriously envious of that, although practically speaking, I'm not having problems with what I have.

Liking that the number of CVT shift points have been increased from 6 or 7 or whatever they are, to 10 - hoping they are much less noticeable. Hope they managed not to screw up the firmware doing that.

Love that they got rid of the "gills" where the DRLs/Fogs go. Those were fugly, especially in the '17 facelift version.

Front is still fugly - that lower grille shape will never be anything but fugly, I despise it on my car.

And they added an extra piece at the bottom of that fugly grill that makes it look like it's sticking it's tongue out at you.

@SuperchargedMR2 - it sounds like the the 6MT/TCU/ECU will be doing the rev-matching for you - could you tolerate that?;)
I'm the same way about the power difference. It would be nice to have but my 17 iM gets up and goes just fine.

Shift points on a CVT, I can't stop laughing. Or should I say simulated shift points!

The rev-matching option would be sweet to have since it can be turned off or on.

Pluses......
7. Lighter weight hatch
8. Stiffer chassis

Minuses.....

Would a standard i4 turbo, intercooler, and coilovers fit?