Next Generation of Corolla

What would you like to see in the next generation corolla? Me, I would like to see either a 5 or 6 speed auto. Less plastic in the interior. For the S model, a larger sway bar on the rear and front strut brace. Better tires, more responsive steering and stereo on all.

I'd like to see a return to Italian styling, like on my '09 S. Also, how about integrated ground effects like on the new Camry, rather than the bolt-on stuff? I wish they'd make the tilt/telescoping wheel go down at least an inch more, and about another inch or so back. The rear-seat room is perfect, but another inch or so up front would be awesome on a long trip.

While I'm on a roll, why not give the next-gen the uber-cool center-stack side pocket storage? Go ahead and make a sliding center-console arm rest standard on all models. Oh, and make rear-seat HVAC standard, too. Auto-on lights? Oh, yeah.

As far as a 5- or 6-speed auto, who cares? I get over 40 mpg highway now. Yes, we could do with some better padding on the arm rests, and LEVEL armrests, too; the current door and center-console rests differ in height. And if they bring back the rear-seat center arm rest, make it minimal; the one in the new Prius is so fat, it cuts way too much fun out of sitting back there.

All the next gen has to do is kick the Focus in the butt, which it is doing now. Who knows what the 2013 KIA Forte will be, but it is sure to be as good or better than the current 'Rolla. Toyota will really, really have to do their homework this time.

I'd like to see more standard features- Toyota entune, ipod, nav, heated seats, higher fuel economy, maybe a little more head/leg room. This is still a great car, and I have no doubt next generation Toyota Corolla will surpass the competition.

Have you seen the new 2013 Avalon? The Toyota bashers are at it again, trying to convince the world the new California/Detroit design team missed their mark. But I say the car is freakin' BRILLIANT, and for the first time in quite a long while, the new Avalon has me saying, "I want it! I want it!"

What I want to see in the next-generation Corolla is for the design team who developed the new Avalon take the reigns and give us a 'Rolla that'll make KIA, Hyundai, and Ford's jaws drop.

Avalon - size

I'd like to see the Corolla get smaller. I'm not sure how this Avalon is even comparable to a Corolla. Perhaps you should post in the Cadillac forum? :rolleyes:

Uh, like, I was speaking of style... you know, how it looks. Seems that the 10th-generation Corolla's styling is oh-so-very blah for many people, so perhaps the team that designed the 2013 Avalon should have a say-so in the design of the 11th-gen 'Rolla.

How'd you people come to think I was speaking of size? The Corolla is a C-segment car. Good grief.

larger tank

here here... definitely a larger tank. Mine only goes about 300 miles per tank! Not nearly enough. But to put things in perspective the fuel mileage was not good on the 99's. That electronically variable valve timing seams to have made a sizable difference with respect to fuel mileage. The new corolla, if I remember correctly, is being advertised to get 42 mpg! wow... now I'm impressed.

I remember hearing about a physics theory based on energy potentiality of gasoline that showed a potential of 65 mpg for an internal combustion engine on a car such as a toyota corolla. So it appears that we are getting closer to the ideal. Has anyone else seen this study? Would you repost?

increased mpg

Yes, it is amazing how quickly the mpg is increasing. Thanks to the combined efforts of government and the private sector. We have had the technology, easily since 2002, probably way earlier. The electronic variable valve timing is one of the key components.

Anyone who knows about drag racing knows that during cool damp mornings cars produce more power. So I am asking the question - why can't we regulate the humidity at the air at intake? It seams to me that would be relatively simple with todays design and technology standards. You would just have a small reservoir to put distilled water in. Or it could be linked to the A/C system. then the computer through the air intake could regulate to optimum humidity.

Does anyone know if I can update the computer on my 99' corolla to electronic variable valve timing?

Regulating the humidity at the air intake seems a practical impossibility. Can you imagine the size of the unit responsible for the control of such an enormous amount of air?

We're talking about around 250 cubic feet of air per minute for an average 4-cylinder motor. Current A/C units are incapable of cooling both intake AND cabin air.

Higher MPGs will have to be achieved by other means -- at least for now. Ford have their EcoBoost engines which look promising. I'm confident other technologies exist, but haven't been implemented due to their enormous costs.

Air volume at intake

Mike,
What your saying doesn't seam to make sense to me. I'm not saying it's not correct. I've seen swamp coolers with HUGE fans putting lots of humidity into the air. Also with a water injector much like a fuel injector (very tiny might I ad) you could literally pump as much water as you want into the intake. So i don't see how there is a size limitation as you are claiming.:confused:

"The combined efforts of government and the private sector"?

Do you work for the government or what? Mandated safety devices add weight, which reduces fuel economy. Mandated ethanol in gasoline also reduces fuel economy. Pfftt.....