No heat from front defrost

Hello,

I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla that does not blow air to the front window defrost. The heater heats and the fan blows air through the feet well ducts but does not direct it to the window for defrost when selected. I suspect the heat door actuator but do not know where this is located and I cannot find any information.

Am I on the right path and if so, does anyone know if the heat door actuator is accessible by removing the glove box door?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Gary

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I wonder if a hose fell off, or possible under the dash area anything get stuck. you got air under the seat, and in other vents blowing but not the dash vent

I start checking for a stuck vent? in winter I know its tough.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

The heater blower motor works and it does blow hot air to the foot well area. I was able to look at it this weekend as it finally warmed up enough. I took the glove box door off and was able to see the heater door control workings. There is NO room under there to hardly see let alone work on anything. The air flow is directed by a cable/pulley drive system that connects the air output selector knob on the dash to a rotating gear under the right hand side of the dash above the blower motor/case. The gear is mated to a cam that rotates and controls the flap doors to the floor, center console or defrost. This cam snaps into one of the plenums and somehow came loose.

I was not able to see the back side of the cam so I couldn't get it lined up correctly. I was able to identify the lever that controlled the air flow from the foot well to the center console and move that manually to change the output of the air but not able to ID the flap that directed the air flow to the defrost. It looks like the only way to access all this mess is to remove the dash and some of the plastic plenum. Looks like a real PITA. I've searched the web and there is very little information on this problem. I've got a Hayne's manual but that is very limited on this too.

Not sure if I want to get into taking the dash apart. Probably $1000.00 labor for a $50.00 part.

Still looking....

Thanks

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Awesome news if asked. so now let me ask this question is there room to get a wireless camera like a gopro in there. or even your smartphone and stream it privately and light up the object to see better and work on it better? I say that as I did this with my window motor (smarts)

Sorry I can not help further.

55BB5B28-F5D5-4107-8397-8471650CB507.jpeg This is my situation looking underneath th glove box my vent mode cable is off the wheel at the damper. I know they sell the cable($40) but I cant figure out how to take it off. Everything moves free by hand.

View attachment 3854 This is my situation looking underneath th glove box my vent mode cable is off the wheel at the damper. I know they sell the cable($40) but I cant figure out how to take it off. Everything moves free by hand.
I took my front dash apart which was very easy. And thank goodness the cable is just off the hand control I easily put it back on and I added a little bit of silicone grease and I’m back in business. Here is a link to a good video.