No start issues

I have a question, I have a manual 2004 Corrola LE. The other day I changed out the serpentine belt and tensionometer and the alternator. After I changed those out, on about the 4-5th try of starting the car it won't start. When I move the key over to run I don't get anything. The gauges stay on but the radio turns off. I have looked at my cables and they look good no corrosion and they are tight. This never happened before changing the parts. If I give the car 5 minutes, shake the keys, get out walk backwards around the car, then get back in and it starts... Anyone have any advice on what the issue could be? Sounds like a ground issue to me because it is intermittent but it is kicking my butt so far.

Thanks
John

So If i understand you correct after ou changed that stuff it started but the 4th-5th time you tried it didnt?
Question why did you change the alternator? Also check your batter voltage.

I took the alternator out and took it to the parts store to see if it needed a clutch pulley for the alternator, since I had it out and at the parts store I got a new one. I got the one with the standard pulley (is that correct?). As for the second question, yes I had the battery checked and it is holding the charge and has good CCA's.

You are correct, I disconnected the negative battery cable. When I turn the key to start the only thing that happens is the light for the radio dims. The gauges on the dash stay light and there isn't anything that I normally hear when I have a weak battery. No click, click, click... I was able to put a volt meter on the battery when it happened and the voltage didn't move one bit when I turned the key to start...

Did you happen to reattached all the black grounding cables? If they are not in place, sometimes there is no enough amperage to turn over the car. Double check that the battery cables and post are tightened and cleaned of build up and debris.

You are correct, I disconnected the negative battery cable. When I turn the key to start the only thing that happens is the light for the radio dims. The gauges on the dash stay light and there isn't anything that I normally hear when I have a weak battery. No click, click, click... I was able to put a volt meter on the battery when it happened and the voltage didn't move one bit when I turned the key to start...
The reason voltage isn't dropping is because your starting isn't cranking, nothing is drawing power from your battery to start it. Check your starter connection and check voltage at the starter with the key turn if your not getting any voltage your problem is not the starter if you are getting voltage replace the starter.

I rechecked the negative cable, it is tight and looks good. I was in it the other day tried to start it and nothing. Got out wiggled the negative cable and nothing! Sat in the seat turned everything off nothing, got out of the car walked around it backwards three times, rubbed it nicely and then it starts!

When it doesn't start, the radio cuts off and the light on the clock dims but other than that nothing! And I mean nothing, I am used to when the battery is low it goes click, click, click... Still stuck on this and it only happens when the wife or I drive the car my daughter never has the problem (thankfully).

Could it be a fuse, I have never ran into a fuse that works intermittently. I am starting to think it might be the starter but don't want to chuck a $100 at it for it not to be the starter..

Newest update, so now it is starting to not start for long periods of time. Which is a good thing as I can troubleshoot it better. So I thought it was the neutral safety switch, I bought one form Rockauto for $165 and go slave it in when it wouldn't start and it still didn't start. So I took the lower panel off of the steering column and play with the two wire plugs going into the ignition. I jiggled them and could induce the fault. Now what I need to figure out is it a shorted wire in one of the plugs or is it the ignition switch not sending the signal? Any thoughts or suggestions and how do I take the ignition switch out?

Thanks
John

Huston we have a problem!

I took the top plastic cover off of the steering column so that I could see the wiring and found this little red wire disconnected. This wire was connected to a cheap wire connector, someone worked on this wire at sometime. The only thing that I can think of is they put some sort of alarm system in it or something. So tomorrow I will cut the electrical tape away and see what I am truly dealing with in the bundle of wires....

Attachments

Huston we have a problem!

I took the top plastic cover off of the steering column so that I could see the wiring and found this little red wire disconnected. This wire was connected to a cheap wire connector, someone worked on this wire at sometime. The only thing that I can think of is they put some sort of alarm system in it or something. So tomorrow I will cut the electrical tape away and see what I am truly dealing with in the bundle of wires....
:eek:

Looks like someone might have had an alarm on it. The wire bundle is garbage! I didn't have time to fix everything that will be a project for another day. I did solder the wire together and heat shrinked it. At least now if I have a problem with it I know where to start.