Noise from Engine / Gearbox?

I have a 1997 Corolla 160 Gli with 422 000km on the clock.
It has served me very well.

I have a new noise coming from the engine compartment.
When I switch on, I can hear a hard knocking sound rrrrrrrrrr
When I depress the clutch, this sound disappears, and the engine sounds very sweet.
When I release the clutch in neutral, the sound comes back.
When I put the car in gear and drive off, I can hear the sound while the car is in gear, no sound when the clutch is depressed while the car is moving.

I have had several opinions as to what the problem could be, ranging from gearbox to timing belt.
Has anybody else had a similar experience?
There is no discernible difference in the feel of the gear shift.

I would like to ascertain what the problem is, with the solution.
And I would like to find a good and reasonably priced repairer.
I am a pensioner, and obviously would like to keep the cost of repair under control.
Many thanks for any assistance.
I live in Sunninghill, near Midrand, Gauteng.
Michael

I have a very similar sound in my car! It does not make a hard knocking, but when the clutch is released in neutral it makes a grrrrrrrr... Clutch pushed in, no sound. I am about to replace my clutch because it is slipping, hopefully this sound will stop. idk

atte

I think the clutch release bearing has worn out. It's better - because you have to pull the gearbox - to change the complete clutch unit.

sounds like the clutch throwout bearing.

i had an issue with one in a 2002 dakota 5spd. except that one hummed really loud. swapped the clutch with new throwout and pilot bearings and it stopped.

clutch became a hell of a lot smoother too!

Yeah definitely a clutch related problem, and I think it's throwout bearing too. Get the new parts, and replace the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and while you're in there, inspect the slave cylinder for corrosion/pitting in the bore. (if you're planning on getting another 100k km out of it).