Nother Newby

I am new here in the Bay area of Calif. We have had a 1991 Corolla in the family for many years, it was my wife's parents car 'til they died, then it went to my daughter who used it fairly regularly for a couple of years til she got married to a guy who had a newer, bigger Altima at which time she seldom drove it. Now they need two cars (again) and I have committed to get this one dependable. It has 85K miles on it.

Problem: twice it has just stopped after getting to operating temp. First time it would not start after going 5 or 6 miles and the second time it died, we waited and it restarted ran fine for 2-3 miles. A mechanic tried to get it to repeat, could not and charged me $90. I was hoping he could figure something out from reading the codes but Nada.

So I am looking for some characteristic weaknesses related to the passage of time more than miles on this car here at the forums.

Other issue it the alarm system (a primative affair compared to newer models) seems to drain the battery and has some other anomolies and I am having trouble getting tires (see the older model forum for that query)

This site looks like a likely place for advise and info.

Regards egor