Oill Shortage

At CarComplaints.com, http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Corolla/2000/engine/, out of the millions of Corolla's sold, there are 33 complaints for excessive oil consumption for this car with this issue being the #1 complaint.

Have you calculated how many miles elapse before you need to add more oil to the engine?

How many miles are on this car?

Has the PCV valve ever been replaced?

Has the engine been closely looked at for oil leaks?

Has this issue always been present, or has it started just recently?

What viscosity, brand and type of oil are you using?

There are a plethora of possibilities, so we need more information to be able to properly suggest a remedy.

Last edited:
Dear moderator, about my post over oil shortage, the mileage is 173000, the viscocity of the oil use is 20W-50, at a distance of 120 Km a shortage of about 2mm is notice on the dip stick, I bought the vehicle as second-hand a month ago, I haven't changed anything in the engine and my mechanic conferm that the engine has not been work on before.

Just call me Scott. Thanks. :)

First of all, the recommended oil viscosity that Toyota engineers want to see in your 2000 Corolla is a 5W-30. Why are you using such a thick 20W-50 viscosity? Using such a thick viscosity will reduce fuel economy, increase emissions, reduce performance/power, increase engine operating temperatures and can increase wear/reduce engine life.

Any engine will consume some oil over time and this is normal. How many miles go by before you have to add engine oil?

Thank Scott, my mechanic recomended that viscosity reason being that our region is hot tropical (Nigeria) for that a light oil will not do good for the engine. I need to add oil after a a distance of about 200 miles. Once again thanks Scott for your advice

For very hot regions, a 10W-30 or 10W-40 will be more than enough. If oil needs to be added in only 200 miles, it's likely there is an oil leak somewhere.

My 2000 toyota corolla is not smooking but the oil keep shorting, please what could be the problem?
The 1998-2002 Corolla's are noted for high oil consumption due to a deficient piston design which allows the petroleum oil to cause sludge build up in the piston oil holes, which then become plugged up, causing greater temperatures, which causes more sludge, etc. A vicious circle. The piston rings get sludged-up, don't move anymore and then lose oil control, with the result being high oil consumption, oil fouled spark plugs, misfires, the check engine light coming on, catalytic convertor damage, etc. Petroleum oils are so wonderful! :thumbdown:

CarComplaints.com documents this high oil consumption problem with the 1998-2002 Toyota Corolla - http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Corolla/2000/engine/

A good synthetic oil can combat this problem.