Overflowing Gas

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
Has anyone else had a gas pump spill out when filling up? Its happened 3 times at 3 different pumps, one of which I always used with our old car. I put the handle in as far as I can and pull the lever, then flip the automatic on the slowest setting. I've always filled up the same way and never had a problem with these pumps until I got this car.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Yes, this is common. As the fuel is pumped into the fuel tank air bubbles are created which can cause the fuel to back up and out of the filler neck. Always manually fill the fuel tank for this reason. As the fuel tank becomes closer to being full, stop pumping and allow the air bubbles to dissipate and then slowly continue until the fuel tank is full.

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
So is this common for Corollas or Toyotas? I've had many types of cars and almost always fill to the automatic shut off. In my 20 years of driving this has maybe happened 5 other times.

How do you manually fill it? You can't see in there. Can you hear it? Gas filling has never been a complicated thing, I always just pull the trigger and wait.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Just manually hold the fuel pump handle down and wait until you hear the fuel guzzling close to the upper portions of the filler neck, stop, wait, repeat. You'll find you can get another 2-3 gallons into the fuel tank greatly extending the range of your car.