Paint issue, advice needed

Cozfl

Hi,

This is my 2005 Corolla. As you can see from the photo, the Florida heat is causing quite a bit of peeling to one specific area only of the car.

I'm not very knowledgeable about cars in general. What can I buy to put this right myself and whats the procedure?

Thanks.

Attachments

Hi I got a 2000 Corolla .not a beauty .it looks like the clearcoat.if makes you feel better. Seen it worse down here on Old Chevy cavalier.all I could do was sand area find some paint and fill in spots .or you could spend fortune on new paint.my feeling? What the he'll it runs and paid for!

Topher

Hi,

This is my 2005 Corolla. As you can see from the photo, the Florida heat is causing quite a bit of peeling to one specific area only of the car.

I'm not very knowledgeable about cars in general. What can I buy to put this right myself and whats the procedure?

Thanks.
Hey,
Iʻve had the same problem the same problem here with the Australian summer, I find a good product that helps is Meguiars Ultimate Compound Color and Clarity Restorer (specifically with the roof area thats turning white in your photo, it hasnʻt peeled and been made unlevel with the original clear coat which is a good sign).

The instructions are pretty simple just buff in a circular motion, either by hand or with an electric buffer Iʻd HIGHLY recommend using an electric buffer to get the job done thoroughly. Iʻve only done this by hand, Iʻve caught on to the peeling on my roof before it became a major issue. This technique/product does work, the only issue is at what level your clear coat is deteriorating. That bit thats between your rear door and the roof seems to have it the worst (and thats exactly the same spot I had it on mine). I would say your best bet is to buff it with the compound, theres a chance it may so far gone that all it would do is level the clear coat thats chipping without blending paint color and remaining clear coat adequately. Thatʻs where it would get tricky, I had that issue with the clear coat/paint on my trunk. It got so bad that compound alone wouldnʻt fix it, luckily the guy that fixed a dent in my car also offered a good deal on repainting the trunk as well and fixed it up for me.

Look if you REALLY care about your cars appearance and for it to keep looking new I would recommend a repaint, (shop around and see if you can get a good deal) but lots of places will sucker you into getting the whole car done, which does make sence since it gives your cars paint a fresh start.
On the OTHER HAND if you just want it to look presentable and save yourself some cash, look into buffing the clear coat yourself and see how you go, theres LOTS of videos on youtube, thats essentially how I learned (along with picking my detailers brain on the issue). The most important thing is once itʻs done, keep your car out of too much direct sunlight whenever you reasonably can (especially if you have a garage). Theres a reason why some old folks cars look so good, that includes the original paint job itʻs cuz theyʻre garage cars that get limited exposure to the elements. Secondly, once you clear off the old clear coat itʻs important to wax the area regularly since it doesnʻt have that protective layer of original clear coat anymore. Hope that helps, good luck.