Power wire off the battery thru the firewall

I finally got around to installing my 2 meter Yaesu ham radio in my 2014 Corolla. Anyone have any tips, posts, videos, or other advice on running power off the battery thru the firewall? Best place to do it? I certainly don't want to drill anything if I don't have it.

I finally got around to installing my 2 meter Yaesu ham radio in my 2014 Corolla. Anyone have any tips, posts, videos, or other advice on running power off the battery thru the firewall? Best place to do it? I certainly don't want to drill anything if I don't have it.
Post some photos of the install. I've got a Kenwood rig I had in my truck and am interested to see how you set up your Corolla.

As soon as I get power run off the battery, I'll do that. I had it set up in my old Corolla that, sadly, it died last year in a crash :( Right now I'm running off a power adapter (aka: cigarette lighter)....yeah, I know, not good for ham radios.

Bam! Thanks Smitty. That worked. Got it connected a few days ago.

Step 1: Grab a wire coat hanger, a flashlight, and a beer; also a pair of pliers and electrical tape (but that goes without saying).

Step 2: Pull the passenger seat all the way back, let it all the way down. Sit backwards in seat, and slide under the dash. Remove cheap, flimsy plastic panel under the glove box.

Step 2.a: Drink some beer

Step 3: With straightened wire coat hanger, carefully push through large rubber grommet on firewall. This took some doing, mostly because I was upside down with a flashlight in my mouth...but it's not too difficult once you get it at the right angle. Push coat hanger wire far enough through the grommet to reach it on the other side of the firewall from the engine compartment. This is a pain, because the wire isn't straight, and tends to go in weird angles once it gets through the grommet. Be patient. Also, there are some hoses, etc., on the other side of the grommet in the engine compartment that may keep you from reaching the grommet (see photo below), so you'll have to push it a good 8-12 inches through so you can reach it.

Step 3.a: Drink some more beer.

Step 4: From the engine compartment, pull the coat hanger through until there is enough to tape wire to it.

Step 5: Pull coat hanger and wire back through the FW under dash; wire to battery as needed.

Step 5.a.: Finish beer.

I actually ran just the power wire from the battery (fuse just a couple of inches from + terminal), and have my radio grounded to a handy ground stud up under the glove box. Just used a 12mm (?) socket to loosen the nut and slid a ring connector on to it. But you could run two wires from the battery if you wanted.

Connect to battery, use a fuse!!!

A few wire ties to keep it secure with the wiring harness running across the firewall.

View of the grommet location, far right corner of the engine compartment (left in this photo). Free pine needles for everyone in Georgia!

Close-up of power wire pushed through the grommet.

le+14

I'm looking for the same suggestions for a Kenwood TM281A. I had been using a Yaesu FT-2400 in the 2000 Mercury Sable. It fitted neatly into the center console glove compartment but the one in the Corolla seems a bit smaller. Any suggestions on the wiring and where to mount ?. I use a mag-mount on the roof . I need to get the installation underway so I can legally put my call letter license plates on the Corolla and get back in operation.

Any comments on "mobile in motion" ?
I think it's a thing of the past due to recent regulations against operating while driving. It's not really safe anyway. I have found it best to stop somewhere....parking lot, motel,park,rest area, etc. for mobile QSO's.

I used the 12V outlet for power on the Yaesu. I notice the outlet on the Corolla is rated at 10 amps. This would be OK for the low power (25W) on the Kenwood but the rating for high power (65W) is 14 amps. Probably best to install the external power wire any way for a good installation. Any comments from Toyota if this would affect the warranty ?

Last edited:
I'm looking for the same suggestions for a Kenwood TM281A. I had been using a Yaesu FT-2400 in the 2000 Mercury Sable. It fitted neatly into the center console glove compartment but the one in the Corolla seems a bit smaller. Any suggestions on the wiring and where to mount ?. I use a mag-mount on the roof . I need to get the installation underway so I can legally put my call letter license plates on the Corolla and get back in operation.

Any comments on "mobile in motion" ?
I think it's a thing of the past due to recent regulations against operating while driving. It's not really safe anyway. I have found it best to stop somewhere....parking lot, motel,park,rest area, etc. for mobile QSO's.

I used the 12V outlet for power on the Yaesu. I notice the outlet on the Corolla is rated at 10 amps. This would be OK for the low power (25W) on the Kenwood but the rating for high power (65W) is 14 amps. Probably best to install the external power wire any way for a good installation. Any comments from Toyota if this would affect the warranty ?
The Yaesu finally gave up the ghost after several years and several cars so I'm looking for a new rig and the Kenwood looks like a good deal.

Warranty: Nope, no effect. Lots of posts and discussions around here about that one (short version: it's a myth that modifications to your car will void the warranty). Hooking up an external power wire, properly fused, is not going to affect anything.

Mobile in motion: you raise an interesting point. With all the new laws on "distracted driving while using a cellphone" I'm a little surprised no one has said anything about CBers/truckers and HAM operators. Probably because (a) the whole "we need another law for cellphone/distracted driving" thing is a farce IMO (we don't need any more laws) or (b) there are so few of us that no one has noticed. (When is the last time there was a headline: "Amateur Radio Operator kills minivan full of kids"?). Also, it would be rather hypocritical for law enforcement to write a ticket to a guy/gal using a mobile radio when that same LEO just called in his traffic stop on......a mobile radio. (Of course, hypocrisy has never stopped the government).

Mounting suggestions: I got nothing for you here. My Yaesu is between the center console and the passengers seat. Been thinking about upgrading to a quad band (or maybe another 2 meter rig) that has a removable faceplate, and mount the body in the trunk. But right now, mine isn't "mounted", rather it is "stuffed." :)