Premium Gasoline? Save Your Money

A public service notice from the Federal Trade Commission -

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm

Facts for Consumers

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.

Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money, too. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

is there anything we can do that will help us get better gas milage that you know of?? i have a 96 with a 1.8 and i'm only getting 300 miles to a full tank.

is there anything we can do that will help us get better gas milage that you know of?? i have a 96 with a 1.8 and i'm only getting 300 miles to a full tank.
Being easy on the throttle helps, take out all unneccessary weight out of the car. Use cruise control on long stretches. Make sure tires are properly inflated. Make sure car is properly tuned up and has a clean air filter. Run stock tires. Don't speed.

ok so i took a bunch of stuff out of my trunk mostly tool's. i still have my sub and amp installed. i cleaned my egr valve and seem's to help a lil i notice better gas milage and some more power. when removing my airfilter tube from my throttle body there was this black stuff almost looked like metal shavings, so i figured i'd dig deeper i found more of this black stuff in the bottom of my air filter box so i cleaned it out and put everything back on runs good but still has some sort of shake.. what could this be?????

My Corolla is still torn apart in the garage, but I took the after market wheels and tires off of my Ford Ranger and put the factory ones back on and my gas mileage has improved greatly. Also cleaned out the bed to get all of the extras I normally carry such as tie down straps, a couple chunks of wood and assorted car parts etc. I took Scott's advise and tried Amsoil and I think that it has actually made the truck run smoother and helped with the mileage as well.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
My Corolla is still torn apart in the garage, but I took the after market wheels and tires off of my Ford Ranger and put the factory ones back on and my gas mileage has improved greatly. Also cleaned out the bed to get all of the extras I normally carry such as tie down straps, a couple chunks of wood and assorted car parts etc. I took Scott's advise and tried Amsoil and I think that it has actually made the truck run smoother and helped with the mileage as well.
You tried AMSOIL? You never contacted me to get the wholesale prices.

What AMSOIL have you tried?

May I ask why you'd take my suggestion, but then not contact me?

You tried AMSOIL? You never contacted me to get the wholesale prices.

What AMSOIL have you tried?

May I ask why you'd take my suggestion, but then not contact me?
I actually won a free Oil change in a raffle from a Cruise night I was at last year and have not used it (I moved and was visiting back home), and that was an option! I will definitely contact you in the future! I've only got about 300 miles on the oil change so I'm curious to see what changes I see long term.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Well free is always good! lol :)

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are available in many different viscosity's and levels of performance. Which AMSOIL synthetic motor oil did you wind up getting for free?

I'm sure it was the XL. I still won't go past 6 thousand miles before I change it though, even though with the amount of miles I put on this truck that will be about this time next year. lol

6,000 miles is a walk in the park for the XL line of AMSOIL synthetic oils. It's formulated for it. No sweat! :)

The recommended drain interval is 10,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. Don't wait till next year to get a hold of me for AMSOIL at wholesale.

Hi vs. Low Octane? What I can say is back in the day (late '80s) when Amoco Ultimate -- the good 94 octane stuff -- was a mere $1.50 a gallon, I would add several gallons of it to a tank already filled with mid-grade, just to see what would happen.

Doesn't increase performance, huh? BALONEY! Did wonders for all my rides! In those days, I lived on Mount Washington, across the river from downtown Pittsburgh, overlooking the old Three Rivers Stadium. The Ultimate made my cars go up the hill to get there WAY better!

But of course, there weren't nearly the electronics on board. Two of my rides had no electronics at all, save for the electronic ignition on my '74 Firebird. Perhaps due to today's fuel-management systems, there isn't much of a noticeable difference -- but that isn't the fault of the fuel, but of the electronic programming.

6,000 miles is a walk in the park for the XL line of AMSOIL synthetic oils. It's formulated for it. No sweat! :)

The recommended
led drain interval is 10,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. Don't wait till next year to get a hold of me for AMSOIL at wholesale.
WoW!cool cool information, I can't wait.. 10,000 milesssssssss ... thanks for your information ... full life strategic... :)

Last edited: