Question about Brake Pad Replacement

g_2k3

Hello
I have a question about Brake Pad Maintenance and Replacement
I have a Corolla
- Year 2010
- Mileage 70K

Since the last 2 oil changes, the shop has suggested that a Brake Pad Replacement is required.
Also, I hear a gentle squeak when I brake.

The estimate for the Recommended Brake Service is as follows (exactly what the shop wrote) -

Replace front brake pads and resurface brake rotors (4 mm : Will need brakes soon (disc brakes)) $179.95

So my questions are
1. Is this a fair price ?
2. Does this mean, that apart from this brake pads, I will also need brakes (Is there a difference between brakes and brake pads) ?
3. Will I also need to get the same thing done to the rear brakes in the future as well ?

Thanks

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I replace my own stuff not hard thing to do at all? I do not turn disk rotors when I change pads, turning is the term for cutting them, to smooth them make level, take out the roughness. Ido get new one's when need be just who I am.

What does the pads look like did the shop show you how much life is left. is it Thin- or- Thick? If you hear squaling, then it's time to change out?

1. pads are they OEM or aftermarkets? OEM from Toyota cost around 35-80.00. Labour runs an hour whatever thei hourly labour is? I say that is a fair price indeed.
I
2. Brake pad are the pads, shimmies and Malykyte77 known as brake grease, they are all you will need. when they say brakes that is what they are talking about.. Brakes also can be more complicated you have a pad, a caliper, a rotor/disk, and brake fluid. for the fronts only, the back is a drum, pads,brakeflui and last twiceas long as the fronts.

3. Today the newer corolla comes with all disk, since you have drums for the rear and are more complicated to change, they last longer than the front, the back has no weight to stop, the front does, if I am not mistaken the drum uses two pads one for the Emergency brake, the other for braking. If the newer car 2016 the disks all get changed together. as the rear disk is 1/2 the thickness of the front and size, the car companies later on decided to cut corners and that ws one way they did this.

I have done brakes before many times over and it takes me 5-15 minutes you can see how easy they are to do, and I totally understand if you are not a DIY'er today. watch the clip and see what is to be expected.

Inspecting

changing

rear drums

hope I answered your questionsI

briar

I put TRD pads on my corolla couple days ago, stops great but omg the dust is just too much... in just two days my wheels look awful.
I figured them being Ceramic/Aramid it wouldn't be this bad...

Ordered a set of Centric Posi-Quiet pads yesterday..., less than half the price of the TRD and known for very low/no dust with better than OEM stopping.

briar

No, never have but that seems like it may be a very simple solution...
Have you tried them?....

I do like the stopping power of the TRD pads but geeze they are dusty
I've got the Posi-Quiet pads sitting at the house, but not been motivated enough yet to swap them out.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Years ago, you simply place over the Hub .

a;; about keeping your car clean, something I no longer do. every day I would simply wipe off the alloys are sprayed with a special finish and using the wrong products can kill them.