Radio Turning On and Off and Controls Not Working

I have a 2013 Corolla. The problem I'm having is that the radio turns on and off at random intervals. When it does, the sound keeps playing but I lose the functionality of all the buttons. The only way I have found to work around this is to hold down the power button to restart the radio. But even in the same trip, the radio can turn on and off again, where I lose the control of the buttons again. Anybody have a fix for this?

When my cd player died (2011 model) I just bought an identical salvaged (fully tested with warranty) unit on ebay for 40$ with shipping included.
(non JVC)

There was literally dozens to choose from in the 25-45$ price range... I avoided any that looked dirty or scratched up.

Removal and replacement took less than 20 mins (check youtube for diy videos)

In my case it was just so much cheaper to replace than repair.

Last edited:
probably a good idea to peek at yours first and get the numbers off of it and verify before you buy.
I found there was at least 2 different manufacturers from at least 3 different countries and they all looked alike from the faceplate.
May be totally interchangeable, but I don't know. Each looks different physically.

Fujitsu 10 = Mexico
Panasonic = China
Panasonic = Japan

a thought....
While you have it out to see the numbers, try unplugging the steering wheel controls and see if problem still exist.

I just picked up a 2010 Corolla a week ago, I noticed my stereo will sometimes turn itself off after hitting a button or bumping the stereo even. I don't have much experience with Toyota, but I remember something similar in some models like 15 years ago. Is this a common problem??