Rattling Noise When Car Warmed Up and Accelerated Significantly

Hello Corolla Forum, I'm a new user and a new corolla owner. This is my first car, I bought it pretty beat up and am in the process of repairing it and making it road legal as well as reliable.

For my current question I've looked around to find an answer but the problem seems obscure so haven't been too lucky...

The issue I'm having isn't preventing the car from driving properly (as far as I know), but it makes a very annoying and kinda loud "rattling" noise when you accelerate. I have noticed it happens after I drive the car for a minute or two (after it has been parked a while) and begins to make the sound specifically you are in gear and rev to a certain rpm (I don't have a tachometer, perhaps 3,000-4,000 rpm).

When I rev it in neutral, it takes a higher rpm to make that noise, but the main occurrence is whilst in gear and the engine is under moderate strain. I believe it may be a worn out/damaged engine mount, or perhaps a transmission issue. On a related note, my clutch grabs instantly after the slightest release of the pedal, not sure if that plays a role..

I apologize if this is already a solved issue, but I have not found other answers and don't have the money to chase after expensive parts, I would like to be sure before I replace anything. Thanks in advance, looking forward to replies to point me in the right direction!

What year Corolla? What about the engine?

If the clutch grabs instantly after the slightest release of the pedal, that could be a leaking clutch slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder, or air in the clutch line (assuming you have a hydraulic clutch system).

As far as as the rattling, there are a million things that can cause that. You'll have to get a friend to rev the engine in neutral while you poke around in the engine compartment to trace the noise. Usually bad motor mounts cause excessive engine vibration, and that vibration CAN cause things that normally wouldn't rattle so much to rattle worse, but the motor mounts aren't the root cause of the rattling.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Not always my car vibrates a little when I have the ac on but all motor mounts are good. To check them pop the hood and look at the motor and rev it to about 3k and if it stays pretty still and doesn't jump they are fine

Hello Corolla Forum, I'm a new user and a new corolla owner. This is my first car, I bought it pretty beat up and am in the process of repairing it and making it road legal as well as reliable.

For my current question I've looked around to find an answer but the problem seems obscure so haven't been too lucky...

The issue I'm having isn't preventing the car from driving properly (as far as I know), but it makes a very annoying and kinda loud "rattling" noise when you accelerate. I have noticed it happens after I drive the car for a minute or two (after it has been parked a while) and begins to make the sound specifically you are in gear and rev to a certain rpm (I don't have a tachometer, perhaps 3,000-4,000 rpm).

When I rev it in neutral, it takes a higher rpm to make that noise, but the main occurrence is whilst in gear and the engine is under moderate strain. I believe it may be a worn out/damaged engine mount, or perhaps a transmission issue. On a related note, my clutch grabs instantly after the slightest release of the pedal, not sure if that plays a role..

I apologize if this is already a solved issue, but I have not found other answers and don't have the money to chase after expensive parts, I would like to be sure before I replace anything. Thanks in advance, looking forward to replies to point me in the right direction!
check the bracket that braces the intake manifold to the engine block, my 93 did that and it took me a long time to find it, it was a buzzing sound at about 2k rpm.

I'm surprised how quickly I got a reply! And I have the standard 1.8 i4 DOHC engine, I also have the year and other details about my car in my signature for those who asked. Now that I think about it it may be something to do with the AC but it's possible it isn't, I have a tight schedule with work and will go and check out how the car sounds with and without the ac on tonight. I appreciate the replies, and looking forward to more insight from other users!

Another idea, could it be a leak in the exhaust? Its not necessarily a rattling sound in the sense that something is hitting against something else, the sound is akin to a farting/air escaping/rattle noise... Just curious if anyone else perhaps heard this on their car.

Yeah, possible exhaust leak when you put it that way ... and I'm a moron ... didn't even notice your signature this morning, LOL!

For the clutch, have a friend help you bleed it when you get a chance, and make sure that the brake reservoir is topped with fresh fluid before you do it. You'll see the bleed screw on the transmission somewhere. I know on the 1ZZ and 2ZR the bleed screw faces the front of the vehicle about the location of the throw-out bearing on the input shaft. If you see air come out and it doesn't come back, then you are solid. If it comes back again, check the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder for fluid leaks where the rod protrudes from the seal (if they are leaking, bleeding will make this leak more prominent).