Rear Drum brake adjustment (2015 LE Premium)

I'm asking this as a preventative maintenance, also just passed 20k miles on my 2015 LE Premium and I know dealers like to recommend rear drum brake adjustment.

Is anyone familiar if this is necessary if brake feel feels good, it grabs nice and high like it should. Let's say that degrades in the next 20K miles or so, is there a way to adjust rear drums without taking anything off? (yes, LE has rear drums for those that didn't know)

In the past I've heard of driving in reverse and braking or pulse braking, not sure if it's with the pedal or hand brake if that even works? If anyone has any insight on the topic please pitch in as it would save many of us time, money and give piece of mind that it could be done easily.

Also, does using the parking/emergency brake frequently by moving forward adjust it in any way or keep it from seizing? Thanks!

You shouldnt need to adjust your rear brakes until 60k miles or more, if they squeek its becuase theyre dirty. Take your wheels off the rear and with a rubber hammer smack the drums off. Spray a can of brake cleaner on each side of the brake components to include the inside of the drums, wipe them out with a clean rag. Put everything back on. -technician at toyota

I'm asking this as a preventative maintenance, also just passed 20k miles on my 2015 LE Premium and I know dealers like to recommend rear drum brake adjustment.

Is anyone familiar if this is necessary if brake feel feels good, it grabs nice and high like it should. Let's say that degrades in the next 20K miles or so, is there a way to adjust rear drums without taking anything off? (yes, LE has rear drums for those that didn't know)

I

In the past I've heard of driving in reverse and braking or pulse braking, not sure if it's with the pedal or hand brake if that even works? If anyone has any insight on the topic please pitch in as it would save many of us time, money and give piece of mind that it could be done easily.

Also, does using the parking/emergency brake frequently by moving forward adjust it in any way or keep it from seizing? Thanks!

Usually they self adjust. One way to tell is to get the rear wheels up and spin the tire as hard as you can. If it goes more than one rotation once you let go, time to adjust them.

There is a brake adjustment tool that you use to do it. On the backside you'll see an oval rubber dust cover. Pull it out, move the adjuster down on the starbolt until the wheel only spins one revolution, then put the dust cover back in.

You can watch YouTube videos as well to see for a better explanation.

You shouldnt need to adjust your rear brakes until 60k miles or more, if they squeek its becuase theyre dirty. Take your wheels off the rear and with a rubber hammer smack the drums off. Spray a can of brake cleaner on each side of the brake components to include the inside of the drums, wipe them out with a clean rag. Put everything back on. -technician at toyota
That sounds painless, good to know that this is all you need to do. I just tried my hand brake yesterday just to play around with it and it grabs pretty damn well. I forgot to mention that my previous vehicle was a 2000 4runner Limited loaded, owned that vehicle for 15 years and traded it in with well over 200K for the Corolla. Although it was very reliable, my front brakes would constantly warp, maybe because rears didn't get adjusted as often as they should have, also my hand brake stopped working and I was told it's from not using it.