Remote Starter for 2010 Corolla S

They want $300 at the dealer by me, just for the part. Not including labor, I'll do it myself. I'm thinking Viper remote start but still looking. Anyone one have ones they are in love with, or problems? :blink:

Ive been doing car audio and security for 13 years on and off . Viper and clifford are identical except For price. I prefer clifford though. Now if yer budget minded the Compustar is a really good alarm. With remote start, but yer gonna have to add a bypass module, probably the dball. Its one of the easiest to install and it plugs right in to the alarm and comunicates data to data. But do yer own reserch and see what you think. If ya have any questions feel free to message me.
Good luck

I just bought a stellar rs1050 remote starter off of eBay for $100. It is suppose to work with the key fob . The only problem is installation. It says detailed instructions on the box, but that seems to be a wiring diagram. Anyone installed one of these or know where I can find some detailed instructions. It seems there will be a lot of wire splicing involved and possible relays etc. I'm not entirely stupid to electronics but this seems to be a bit over my head with a wiring diagram.

Well from what I can tell about it, it seems to be quality equipment, but is described as being more of an advanced install. I disregard most statements like that because I'm an avid DIYer and have installed countless electronic devices in my and family cars, to include in dash GPS systems. This device however requires multiple wire splices. With some detailed instructions I wouldn't even have an issue with that. I'm not however good enough to just rip out my dash and start cutting wires and adding relays with nothing but a wiring diagram and some short descriptions of what each wire does. I was just hoping someone like the install guy above may be familiar with this system and either has some detailed instructions or know where to find some. It appears I may end up having to take this thing to a local shop with my head hung low.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Just return it, get your money back and buy a locally supplied unit from one of your own local stores and having the added benefit of an iron-clad warranty, as opposed to a unit that would have to be entirely removed, packed up, with the added cost of UPS shipping and the potential weeks of delay. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind, with no instructions included, the probability is high it has been used.

Last edited:
Ahh well, I appreciate the advice. Its simply not worth $300 bucks for me, and I liked the idea of using my own key fob. I know for a fact this unit is not used. It actually doesn't look cheap at all. There is a little black box included with several connectors that attach to the black box which look identical to the connectors used in all cars, the only difference being the opposite ends of the connectors are just a dead end wire. Meaning I would have to strip the plastic away just to see the wire and then splice it to another wire using my own connector. Easy enough if you know which wires. I may check to see how much best buy would charge to just install this box, or maybe check on some other local alarm installers. Ive seen quite a bit of DIY guides on these forums for other rather technical things, to include installs for my Tundra and my motorcyle so figured it was a shot to come and ask. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I did buy it on Ebay but they have a full blown website that sells various levels of car alarms etc, and they are also sold on Amazon. I think the price was as cheap as it is because of the fact that you really need to know what you are doing to install it, its not just plug and play, and the fact that its not an alarm as well because it relies on your already installed factory alarm. My guess is this device is generally bought by installers, to include Best buy who then charge you the mark up. They have a phone number, maybe I will see what they say when I call them, but I doubt they are going to be of much help over the phone.

Last edited:
i gotta agree with Scott O' on this one. All alarms are basically the same thing a black box with a bunch of really smart micro proccesor controled relays. the remote start alarm that i am gonna put in my carolla is the genaric version of a excaliber, only reason i have yet to install it is i am waiting to get my omega DBALL so that it can be intergrated into the cars bcm/ecm.
when it comes to alarm installs, (ESPECIALLY REMOTE STARTERS) let a pro handle it. Trust me you dont wanna go probing your bcm and fry something in there. I have had a few close calls with newer F-150'S (i hate doing remote starts in those trucks) and the way those bcm's are now a days, its WAY too easy to fry something just by probing a wire, and you will have to probe and test MANY wires for a remote starter

I have a Excalibur AL-1850-EDPB security and remote start. I am an avid DIY, I want to install the alarm on my 2004 corolla. I have pretty much figured out most the connections, except for the following wires:
LIGHT RELAY N/O INPUT
LIGHT RELAY COM OUTPUT
LIGHT RELAY N/C INPUT
HORN RELAY N/O INPUT
HORN RELAY COM OUTPUT
HORN RELAY N/C INPT
This wires are on one of the harness and I just want t know if they are needed.