Road Trip Ready - New hitch and toad

Hey guys, I've had my hitch for a while but mostly used for bike rack etc. It's rated for 500 lb and 300 lb tongue weight. I'm 190 lb and was testing it by jumping pretty damn hard on it and it's secure as hell so I'm not worrying about any weight issues. I've installed the hitch myself and it's done right with two solid bolts with spring washers on each side.
Few days ago I've decided to take it a step further and purchased a cargo basket (aluminum with steel frame) which was 2 inch so I also purchased a 1.5 inch adapter. I then got the hugest toad box I could find which I'm planning to cover with truck bed liner for durability in the near future. Needless to say I'm ready to take this baby anywhere with the extra room. My family consists of me, wifey and 5 yr old kiddo and even though we've taken the car on 500 mile trips this past summer, things were getting tight in the trunk department.
I've driven a couple of days with the box loaded and gas economy didn't move even a bit so I'm very pleased with that. If I went with a roof rack, it would have made a huge change due to wind resistance. Let me know what you guys think, if anyone's interested I can provide links to all parts I've purchased.
Including some images though car is dirty as hell :)

Attachments

Last edited:
I would nab some trailer lights and an adapter harness and add them to the back of the rack. I got a set of full function LEDS (amber turn, red tail/stop, plate lights) for $20 on ebay. Be safe!

I would nab some trailer lights and an adapter harness and add them to the back of the rack. I got a set of full function LEDS (amber turn, red tail/stop, plate lights) for $20 on ebay. Be safe!
I was thinking about getting some. Do you hook it up via cigarette lighter or is it more involved? Sorry, don't have much experience with that.

Nice stuff but what do you do if you stop for bathroom? How do you make sure that no one takes the box.
I have these ratchet fasteners that would take time to loosen them up, but that's a good point. I guess I would take turns with whoever I'm driving with or come up with some type of a locking mechanism, shouldn't be too difficult.