Roof Rack from SportRack

Good day,
Has any one installed a SportRack roof rack onto their '14 Corolla?

SportRack is a budget roof rack brand owned by Thule, and some of the reviews are good, but some reviews are really really bad, including people claiming the rack tore of off their cars at high speeds.

I've never heard a properly installed Thule or Yakima roof rack ever doing this, but those are higher end racks designed with specific mounts for each car.

SportRack only has 10 semi-universal racks, and these 10 racks fit every car that they sell racks for. I have to assume that some cars are a weak fit and other cars are a near perfect fit for each rack.

Has anyone installed a SportRack roof rack of their '14 Corolla? Does it fit well? Do you think we're safe buying one, or should we stick with Thule or Yakima, which are double the price or more? I'd like to save money if it's safe.

thanks.

Pay the extra money. Last thing you want is a flying roof rack to hit the car behind you.

And that will cost a lot more money than the savings of the semi-universal versus the made-to-fit.

Pay the extra money. Last thing you want is a flying roof rack to hit the car behind you.

And that will cost a lot more money than the savings of the semi-universal versus the made-to-fit.
First this isn't a hypermiling question if a roof rack question, so please. And second this issue has been tested and it only reduces mileage 1% when not hauling a boat or something similar. That's the difference between 30 MPG and 30.3 MPG, and that's assuming you leave it on for the life of the car, which is unlikely.

I'm not going to be afraid of living. I bought an efficient car so I can enjoy life, not be a nun.

Here's the article of article on real MPG testing to counter your superstition:
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/we-test-the-tips-part-ii.html

Last edited:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...yths/index.htm

The above article is very interesting. One of the biggest ways to improve fuel economy is to reduce the speed you drive at. Testing showed that increasing speed from 55 to 65 mph reduced fuel economy from 4 to 8 mpg. Increasing speed from 65 to 75 mph reduced fuel economy an additional 5 to 7 mpg. So between driving at 55 mph vs. 75 mph, testing revealed a 9 to 15 mpg reduction in fuel economy. :blink: With the price of fuel these days, losing 9 to 15 mpg by driving too fast is very expensive. This adds up to over 100 miles less range on a tank of fuel. :eek:

They also found that adding just a bike rack to the roof of a car can reduce fuel economy 5 mpg. Adding two bicycles to that bike rack reduced fuel economy another whopping 8 mpg. A car top carrier also reduced fuel economy by 5 mpg. :thumbdown:

First this isn't a hypermiling question if a roof rack question, so please. And second this issue has been tested and it only reduces mileage 1% when not hauling a boat or something similar. That's the difference between 30 MPG and 30.3 MPG, and that's assuming you leave it on for the life of the car, which is unlikely.

I'm not going to be afraid of living. I bought an efficient car so I can enjoy life, not be a nun.

Here's the article of article on real MPG testing to counter your superstition:
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/we-test-the-tips-part-ii.html
You quoted the wrong person, LOL!

Last edited:
Back on to the topic at hand, fuel economy debate aside....

I too agree that when it comes to roof racks, made to fit for your exact model is the safest thing, and it will likely be a much higher quality, nicer product as well. If you dont mind having it and/or like the looks, I would recommend a front fairing to help minimize drag, but that is your preference.

Don't worry about anything, its up to you to enjoy the car the way you want, just be sure and enjoy it in a safe way using quality parts