Rope on tires for heavy snow

Has anyone heard of used this technique? Wrapping 10mm rope around the tires between spokes, paying special attention to avoid running it through where the valve is and using rope think enough to clear brake caliper. I have aluminum wheels so it should work fine, I'm assuming it would be a pain to put on steelies. I would only keep the rope in the trunk and use it when stuck or prior to a forecast and drive slowly with the set up in place. Similar to this guy:

Solution ? Avoid doing what he is doing at the beginning of the video : spinning the wheels. Emergency hack ? Yes, but a handful of sand, an old carpet or dedicated "traction aid" would also work if stuck on an icy patch. Driving a distance on snowy or icy roads might be another story, if only because friction on wet rope wouldn't do them good. In those conditions, I don't think a real tire glove or a real set of snow tires might would be more efficient than any emergency hack.

Yeah I agree a good set of snow tires would be better but this is way cheaper especially considering Chicago winters are so unpredictable. Last year we had a handful of snow days and some of my friends have put on snow tires an totally destroyed them because they basically drove on dry pavement the entire winter. We've also had winters where we got nearly 100 inches of snow in the past. The video intended to demonstrate rope method as an all around option of being able to commute and not necessarily getting out of that specific situation but drive up to 20 miles in several inches of snow in stop and go traffic to and back from work on a bad snow day if necessary.
Again, we may not have snow at all so I'm hesitating buying expensive winter tires. This is basically poor man's winter tire chains and looks like it would do the job. I wonder what's the best type of rope to use, nylon, vs polyester vs natural fibers? Something that would hold a knot, not slide and be relatively strong and can withstand wear from pavement.

The video intended to demonstrate rope method as an all around option of being able to commute and not necessarily getting out of that specific situation but drive up to 20 miles in several inches of snow in stop and go traffic to and back from work on a bad snow day if necessary.
The description of the video says "If your car is skidding or gets stuck in snow" and "Use this method only in emergency !". It doesn't mention commuting and even if it did, I wouldn't trust it.

Chicago winters are so unpredictable. Last year we had a handful of snow days and some of my friends have put on snow tires an totally destroyed them because they basically drove on dry pavement the entire winter.
I should have said "winter" tires... some are for snow, some for ice, some for both. All have softer gums indeed (but not all brands are created equals) for a reason often forgotten if not wrongly dismissed : temperature. AS gums get hard and slippery at around 40F or less and the main problem then is not traction as much as braking distances. Actually, even in Canadian winter, most of our driving is on dry pavement, especially in urban areas and I've never seen a set of winter tires destroyed in one season. Plus you also save your summer set, so it's kind of a wash. I've realized all that since winter tires are mandatory here. Before, I used to be on AS tire year long and never needed chains/glove (or rope !) unless going for mountains unplowed roads. Plus they simply ruin your car road manners.

I'm still going to keep some rope in the trunk, can't hurt. Also, I've bought those zip ties which are supposed to work similar to rope where you run it through the wheel. I'm paranoid I know but again, I used to drive a 2000 4runner limited 4x4 with lockers for 15 years and never had to worry about snow or getting stuck.

rk97

Carpet remnants will work as well or better.

I have debated snow tires for my corolla, but haven't pulled the trigger... I feel like the second I spend that much on the car, it's going to have a catastrophic failure and the tires will be a waste of money :p

I don't know where you live, but I drive 47 miles (each way) directly into Ohio's "snow belt." For those who aren't familiar with this term, my office is located near Lake Erie, so until the lake freezes over, cold Canadian air blows across the lake, picks up water, and dumps snow on Northeast Ohio even when there's no precipitation falling from the clouds.

Front wheel drive is really pretty great in all but the absolute worst conditions. I have only been truly stuck once. I also totaled a 2005 Nissan Altima in white-out conditions, after skidding into an existing 10 car pileup that I couldn't see until it was too late (I was doing about 40 mph. maybe less.)

My point is that snow tires help you STOP too, and that's probably more important for your safety than anything involving getting stuck.

Have 2014 S and the tires that came with it absolutely sucked in the winter. Put a set of Blizzaks on it and what a difference. In a emergency situation I guess I would give this a shot. But being in Maine you got to be prepared for winter emergencies.

Does the "S" have different tires than the other models? I know the larger wheels are an option.
rhe

The S, LE, LE plus and LE premium come with 205/55 R16 and then the L and LE eco come with 195/65R15 but the S Plus and S premium come with 215/45R17.... granted the overall tire size radius is about the same size between all models but the thinner sidewalls greatly reduce what tires are available for it.... i had a 2012 focus titanium with similar size as the S premium and was hell to find a good all season that went well in the Maine winter... So with this S model ive run either winter tires then swap over to summer performance tires or just run the blizzaks all year.... they are supper stick tires but a bit loud... they are real good in the snow and rain and mud/dirt roads