Scotty Kilmer on Corolla CVT

I’m usually a fan of him also and, who knows, he might be right in the long term but here he is mixing so many different things that it’s impossible to sustain a general conclusion from this video.
  • K313 service campaign is a firmware update to reduce wear occurrences under some conditions on all units;
  • Direct-Shift recall (not service campaign) is about a specific and limited batch of cars assembled with a defective part at a specific time/plant (September 2018, Tsutsumi plant, Japan);
  • Prius CVT is totally different beast (planetary vs pulleys). Attributing their alleged longevity to simply lower power is a shortcut of reasoning;
  • Chrysler 300 (and all FCA ZF 9AT for that matter) is not CVT and all had bad behavior right out of the showroom because of the poor firmware and actually prove the opposite of his point: any kind of transmission, not just CVT can have its flaws and yes, firmware, not just hardware, do play a role;
Furthermore, especially since he usually is an apostle of code reading, codes can tell a lot about the condition of a transmission, to the point of the car entering “limp mode” by itself upon reading them. Plus CVTs may not be “perfected” (which technology is ever…) but outside NA, they are almost as old as regular ATs (12 years for the current K313) and, just like them, have known some good and some bad iterations through history.

The Direct-Shift is sure a complex piece of engineering in its first year (careful!) but, strictly based on this recall, its a bit off to draw a general conclusion. It's kind of saying that you shouldn't get wipers because in 2013, a batch of Toyota (10K, including some of the then newly introduced 11th gen Corolla) were assembled with a bad wiper's switches.

that recall he's talking is on a specific hatchback model, not all corollas, as for the other corollas there was a service campaign on them, my car was on that list, i took it to the dealer, they did an inspection, nothing major was wrong, it drives perfectly, it has over 178,000 miles on it, so who knows

that recall he's talking is on a specific hatchback model, not all corollas, as for the other corollas there was a service campaign on them, my car was on that list, i took it to the dealer, they did an inspection, nothing major was wrong, it drives perfectly, it has over 178,000 miles on it, so who knows
That's decent mileage. Have you replaced CVT fluid by any chance and if yes, at what mileage?

I’m usually a fan of him also and, who knows, he might be right in the long term but here he is mixing so many different things that it’s impossible to sustain a general conclusion from this video.
  • K313 service campaign is a firmware update to reduce wear occurrences under some conditions on all units;
  • Direct-Shift recall (not service campaign) is about a specific and limited batch of cars assembled with a defective part at a specific time/plant (September 2018, Tsutsumi plant, Japan);
  • Prius CVT is totally different beast (planetary vs pulleys). Attributing their alleged longevity to simply lower power is a shortcut of reasoning;
  • Chrysler 300 (and all FCA ZF 9AT for that matter) is not CVT and all had bad behavior right out of the showroom because of the poor firmware and actually prove the opposite of his point: any kind of transmission, not just CVT can have its flaws and yes, firmware, not just hardware, do play a role;
Furthermore, especially since he usually is an apostle of code reading, codes can tell a lot about the condition of a transmission, to the point of the car entering “limp mode” by itself upon reading them. Plus CVTs may not be “perfected” (which technology is ever…) but outside NA, they are almost as old as regular ATs (12 years for the current K313) and, just like them, have known some good and some bad iterations through history.

The Direct-Shift is sure a complex piece of engineering in its first year (careful!) but, strictly based on this recall, its a bit off to draw a general conclusion. It's kind of saying that you shouldn't get wipers because in 2013, a batch of Toyota (10K, including some of the then newly introduced 11th gen Corolla) were assembled with a bad wiper's switches.
I totally hear you. Caught all the descrpancies you talked about myself as well. I think at this point he's just making noise to get views. Nevertheless hatchback recall with special service bulletin for 11th gen doesn't look pristine no matter how u cut it. By the way I checked out the new hatchback while getting my oil changed and I like it but would never get it for the simple fact that the rear leg room is terrible and hatch cargo space is smaller than Mazda 2. Practically useless. Compared to the sedan it's like comparing smart to an a Avalon.

I totally hear you. Caught all the descrpancies you talked about myself as well. I think at this point he's just making noise to get views. Nevertheless hatchback recall with special service bulletin for 11th gen doesn't look pristine no matter how u cut it. By the way I checked out the new hatchback while getting my oil changed and I like it but would never get it for the simple fact that the rear leg room is terrible and hatch cargo space is smaller than Mazda 2. Practically useless. Compared to the sedan it's like comparing smart to an a Avalon.
Mr Kilmer now publishes 1 video a day, sometimes two (albeit often just answering questions) so I guess it doesn’t leave much time for research.

Yes, the new hatchback is more cramped back there. The new sedan will be better, but still way behind the current one. I guess it has to do with the TNGA universal platform: maybe bulkier, and/or with space reserved for hybrid batteries and 4WD if necessary. They brag about the novelty of hybrid not losing cabin/trunk space but it sound more like all models losing it. Both new Prius and Camry also have less space.

I agree that a 1 recall for a few thousands wiper switch and 2 service campaigns for firmware (CVT and Eco Valvematic) is not pristine. Still far from a Ford Fusion or a Mercedes C-Class, though. With more and more electronic involved, firmware updates are and will be more and more frequent. If only they could be like Tesla, over the air…

I only had this car for a month, i'm the second owner, so i don't really know when it had if any cvt fluid changed, i think i should replace it that way i know
You should. First I would get a Carfax and there is a chance it'll be listed in there as part of routine maintenance. This way if it was done you'll save yourself some cheddar.