Scraped My Car :(

I've scraped the bottom of my front fascia as well. I won't bother to fix it, because you can't see it unless you are under the car, and it will happen again.

I have some really nasty areas by my work where you scrape the front, and sometimes you have to speed out or you'll be stuck waiting on cross-traffic forever.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I've scraped the bottom of my front fascia as well. I won't bother to fix it, because you can't see it unless you are under the car, and it will happen again.

I have some really nasty areas by my work where you scrape the front, and sometimes you have to speed out or you'll be stuck waiting on cross-traffic forever.
Why are are you not going diagonally over it?

I take a can of spray now and then, if I bottom out. If I know ahead most the time, I avoid that path, and if I have no choice I never speed up or go straight. I find a better way of going over it.

call your City info or visit today their online website, file a complaint. more people do that scrape section gets fixed.

Is your Corolla lowered? Most of them sit fairly high off the ground to begin with, but there are some areas of towns that are just awful with exits onto a highway from a place of business. Good chance your scrape is somewhere that can't be seen underneath the front fascia. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you because you are the only person that is going to know it is there. I scrape my bumper in my lowered car because of my body kit and you cannot see the scrapes. Occasionally I will go in and use touch up paint just to not show the base layer.

Not sure it's worth a comprehensive claim, but that would be the route I would go if you can't live without knowing it's not fixed. I know that feeling.

If you only scraped the bottom of the front fascia, I would either let it go or do the best I could with a touch up kit, especially if it isn't visible without looking underneath the car. It WILL happen again, pretty much no matter how careful you are. Once you get some bad ones and maybe get visible road rash on the bumper/fascia visible from the front, then consider a professional repair. A professional repair is in the vicinity of $500. If you put a lot of money into each scrape, you'll be out some serious bucks. I wouldn't say the car sits high, but its not as low as some, but some entrances into parking lots etc. are just absolutely ridiculous and you have to go so slow to avoid a scrape you risk getting hitting from behind. I haven't had a car yet, except for a Subaru Forester, that I haven't scraped, and I'm pretty careful. Nothing on the Corolla yet, but I'm sure I'll scrape it at some point.

Why are are you not going diagonally over it?

I take a can of spray now and then, if I bottom out. If I know ahead most the time, I avoid that path, and if I have no choice I never speed up or go straight. I find a better way of going over it.

call your City info or visit today their online website, file a complaint. more people do that scrape section gets fixed.
If you try to go diagonally you'll block people trying to get in or making a right turn when leaving. SoCal is very hilly, so if San Diego County tried to fix every scrape spot there would be no money left for anything else, trust me.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
how much is your choice, you do not have to take it all the way, just a lil., and guess you need to learn to go SLOW next time and have a wheel at a time take the spot.

what the funds are for, your Gas taxes are what pays for the repairs. why you pay all that tax.

Socal, wherever. your option is to lift your car or raise your tire 55 to 70's

Fishy, with all due respect, you have no frame of reference here, unless of course, you've driven every possible road in the San Diego area and just haven't told me yet.

1) Going slow keeps you at the intersection for 10 minutes (at a stop sign going to a main road), or you risk the chance of getting T-boned. When I had my Mustang, I had the torque to go slow over the bump and punch it when I was clear before I got hit. The Corolla doesn't make that power.

2) Gas taxes pay for road repair like potholes, freeway expansion, new roads, etc. Fixing all of the bumper killers would cost more money than the entire state takes in on the gas tax. You're talking the possibility of demolishing some buildings to level out the area and start fresh. Not exactly cheap when you figure in sewage, natural gas lines, water lines, etc. etc. etc.

3) Scrapes underneath the car doesn't bother me nor anyone here. Virtually every car in SoCal has them.

4) To further clarify, imagine a road 4 lanes wide (2 in each direction) and on one side of the road, you have a 30° slope to a 6' elevation drop into a strip mall. On the other side of the road, you have a 30° slope to an 8' elevation increase into an industrial park. That sums up the area by my work, and that is actually mild.