short shifter.

Just curious, has anyone looked into making your own short shifter? I am mildly interested in doing this on my 2013. I was wondering what would be involved and how difficult it is to do.

I started to look at this, but noticed that there isn’t any way to adjust the linkage like the older cars had. Part of the cost savings effort or something.

In the nineties cars you would loosen the cable end-nuts out on the transmission, then use a drill bit to align the shifter parts inside the car, and tighten the nuts to establish a proper alignment.

Without this, I can’t imagine how a diy effort would be guaranteed to be successful. I made one on an old Tercel by welding some parts under the pivot, and raising the pivot housing.

I started to look at this, but noticed that there isn’t any way to adjust the linkage like the older cars had. Part of the cost savings effort or something.

In the nineties cars you would loosen the cable end-nuts out on the transmission, then use a drill bit to align the shifter parts inside the car, and tighten the nuts to establish a proper alignment.

Without this, I can’t imagine how a diy effort would be guaranteed to be successful. I made one on an old Tercel by welding some parts under the pivot, and raising the pivot housing.
Yeah, I have not seen much online. I don't want to spend the money for after market, yet. I know have been looking at bushings, I think I might start with that to see if it feels better. I mainly just want a better feel to the shifts.

I made a noticeable improvement by changing the bushings out under the hood. Still not all that great and I think the person who had engineered all the past Toyota shift linkages must have retired and the new guy is doing them now...

The ones in my car have a feature that allows them to be softer in one direction, and being round, they rotate favoring the soft positions. I made some metal ones in my garage, but they sell the bushings online, aftermarket solid ones that is. I suppose you could take out the bushings and fill the voids with some epoxy, might be worth a try!

The worst thing that could happen is the epoxy, or rigid caulk may fall out, wouldn’t be much worse off than before.

Just curious, has anyone looked into making your own short shifter? I am mildly interested in doing this on my 2013. I was wondering what would be involved and how difficult it is to do.
It would be such a PITA to figure it out. Just buy a short shifter from TWM. They make a great one and have already done all of the design work. I have one on my 09 Corolla S, 06 Scion xB, 07 Corolla that is now my daughters car and installed one on my other daughters 08 Yaris. They were a great upgrade for every car. You also have the option to upgrade the bushings under the hood and the base bushings under the shifter cage. I bought one for my 17 Corolla iM too but I haven't had a chance to get that one installed yet.