Smelly A/C

So I have a new Splus only 6K miles on it so far - If I let the car sit over night and I get in the next day and turn on the AC it smells bad for the first 2 minutes - it almost smells moldy - and after a minute or 2 the smell always goes away. Has any one else experienced this same issue? (It sits inside a garage)

I had the same exact problem. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the in air cabin filter. It still smelled for 3 days but each day it was less and less smelly until it just stopped smelling moldy.

I've had a similar issue in the past with a different car. With it, and with my Corolla, I now replace my cabin filter every six months. In addition, I typically drive with recirculation off so as to get fresh air into the system. Never get the moldy / stale smells anymore.

This IS mold and there's no stopping it unless you kill it with a product called KOOL IT, it's expanding foam that is injected into the A/C chamber from the drain tube under the car. With that said this service is not for the shade tree mechanic, because the foam expands into the system it has to be done in a very controlled way. If you put too much in it can get into sensors and other electronics and destroy them, that's why it should be done by a qualified individual who knows how to do it properly, I usually take mine to the dealer but I use to do mine myself, I'm just not brave enough to do this on my new corolla. In order to keep your ac as clean as possible, you should always turn off the ac and let the fan run about 15-30 seconds before you turn off the car, this will help keep the chamber dry and will minimize the amount of condensation that stays in there. Condensation is where the mold comes from ( water in a warm enclosed area is a breeding ground for mold ) I have asthma and air Bourne allergys so I have to do this religiously. I always use the recirculate on the ac and allow the vent to dry the chamber before I stop, it has served me quite well over the years. I hope this helps to make your inside environment a little better.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
do you see any water when the car sits on the floor? If not maybe your hose is clogged? and possibly it not seated correctly as well, backing in the car?

i always turn the compressor off as i turn on my street. it runs about 30 seconds before turning the car off. it still smells when i get back in the car for the first 10-15 seconds. hose is not clogged as water does drain a little on the floor

Last edited:
I haven't had this issue. Probably only in warm and humid climates (even though it has been humid in SoCal this week ... it ain't like Florida or Arkansa/Tennessee humid).

I don't know how people live there. If it gets past 75° it's too hot for me. I'm a t-shirt in 50° weather type.

Thanks to every one for the responses - I've been reading around and it seems to me that the cabin air filter is the culprit (which I don't understand because the car is brand new) but I guess ill try changing it to see if it stops the problem.

Asked my dealer today about this and he said it's a bad design and to turn off the recirculate once awhile to allow fresh air to get rid of the condensation within the venting. I believe and earlier poster gave the same advice.