So Many Problems

Hi, It's my first post ever on here so I'm not sure what to say?

I have an 02 corolla with 168,xxx miles on it. We have had the car in my family since it had 10,000 miles on it in 2004.

I have a numerous amount of problems:

1.my car mysteriously runs out of oil...it doesn't leak in my driveway or burn it out the tailpipe it just disappears.

2. My car shakes very badly once I hit about 50mph and up. (you can imagine how hard it is driving on the freeway)

3. My front bumper randomly falls off.

4.I go through break pads and rotors every 4 month.

And more problems involving the transmission and other cosmetic things.

Does anyone else have these problems or did I just get a lemon?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum.

The oil is either leaking, burning or both. It can't disappear.

Vibrations at highway speeds are almost always the result of wheels being out of balance.

A bumper falling off is due to bolts not being tightened, or their mounting points are worn out.

Going through brake pads and rotors every four months, (is that one mile or 100,000 miles in four months?), are almost certainly due to malfunctioning calipers, rear brakes not doing their fair share of the work, or both.

With 168,000 miles of wear and tear, I'd say it's all pretty normal. A lemon wouldn't have made it to 168,000 miles.

I recommend getting the vehicle to a professional automotive technician for diagnostic work to correct these problems.

Last edited:
It was involved in an accidental in November 2011, I hit a 4 foot deep pothole. Luckily the city of Houston was found at fault when I filed my insurance claim. Would that have anything to do with it? It caused 1400 dollars worth of damage to the car and ever since then my poor car hasn't driven or been the same. Would I be better off getting a new car rather than fixing the problems?

I really appreciate the advice. :)

On a side note: I would absolutely hate to get rid of my car..I was hoping she would last through the last couple years in college. She's never left me stranded, but these expenses are out of control.

I did. I filed a claim with my insurance and the place says the fixed it, but a short time later more problems came up. The wreck was pretty bad.

The pothole could've destroyed your from alignment, try taking it to a trustworthy mechanic, see if they can find any faults, if so see if your insurance will still cover it.