Spirited driving with the CVT?!

Took the 'rolla up into the mountains yesterday and put her into sport mode. I spent a lot of time in the top of 2nd and 3rd gear. I had all the windows down and was listening, mostly to the car in front of me, but also to the CVT; a definite whine was constant in the higher RPM's, like something working harder than it should.

My 2015 S is still factory and does great in the hills, I am just unfamiliar with CVT transmissions, and hope it doesn't explode on me driving it like I want to.

Are there any 6MT options that will swap out for this CVT, should the occasion, or need, arise?

Cheers

I read your other post also...
Sounds like you need to trade in for 6speed with disk brakes!
And then start modding, lol

I would, but I’m in too deep now.
With 18 payments to go, I’ve probably put $10k into my Corolla on mods!

Took the 'rolla up into the mountains yesterday and put her into sport mode. I spent a lot of time in the top of 2nd and 3rd gear. I had all the windows down and was listening, mostly to the car in front of me, but also to the CVT; a definite whine was constant in the higher RPM's, like something working harder than it should.

My 2015 S is still factory and does great in the hills, I am just unfamiliar with CVT transmissions, and hope it doesn't explode on me driving it like I want to.

Are there any 6MT options that will swap out for this CVT, should the occasion, or need, arise?

Cheers
There are no gears with a CVT no matter how much it appears to simulate them. If you want to enjoy the fun of rowing your own gears then trade in your CVT on a 6MT.

I would love to own one with 6speed. I got a good deal on premium package with push to start but if I was to go back, I would probably go with the barebones L with manual. Lightest of them all = fastest and most nimble. I would concentrate on suspension and maybe a supercharger one day. With my CVT it's nice to drive around and doesn't urge you to go fast which in reality is a good thing. I've probably saved a lot of money on tickets and other crap, hell if it was a stick it would most likely be totaled by now. Still, next car is a stick for sure.

I would love to own one with 6speed. I got a good deal on premium package with push to start but if I was to go back, I would probably go with the barebones L with manual. Lightest of them all = fastest and most nimble. I would concentrate on suspension and maybe a supercharger one day. With my CVT it's nice to drive around and doesn't urge you to go fast which in reality is a good thing. I've probably saved a lot of money on tickets and other crap, hell if it was a stick it would most likely be totaled by now. Still, next car is a stick for sure.
No matter the car you have to drive it within limits. It's not worth driving like an idiot and getting tickets or into an accident. I know where and when to have a little more fun and around traffic in town is not the time. I can drive any of my cars relaxed but have fun when the mountains call!

Yeah man, get them while you can. Driverless cars are coming fast!!

No matter the car you have to drive it within limits. It's not worth driving like an idiot and getting tickets or into an accident. I know where and when to have a little more fun and around traffic in town is not the time. I can drive any of my cars relaxed but have fun when the mountains call!
I partially agree but you can’t deny that with a manual, on average you’re putting yourself in more risky behavior behind the wheel due to the fun factor. I’m not saying I would floor it every chance I get but it’s definitely more
tempting under right circumstances.

I partially agree but you can’t deny that with a manual, on average you’re putting yourself in more risky behavior behind the wheel due to the fun factor. I’m not saying I would floor it every chance I get but it’s definitely more
tempting under right circumstances.
I disagree with you completely. I've always driven MT cars and just because of the MT is not a reason I would drive it faster. Now it's more fun to row through the gears while accelerating but that doesn't mean that makes it a risky factor. We are able to control our actions! You act as though we have no control over how we drive just because of the trans we have! You have to know when the time ism right to have fun with any car, no matter what trans it has.

I disagree with you completely. I've always driven MT cars and just because of the MT is not a reason I would drive it faster. Now it's more fun to row through the gears while accelerating but that doesn't mean that makes it a risky factor. We are able to control our actions! You act as though we have no control over how we drive just because of the trans we have! You have to know when the time ism right to have fun with any car, no matter what trans it has.
Statistically you’re more prone to get into trouble unless you row through the gears without releasing the clutch. We can all agree that manual is quicker at least feels. It’s also easier to drop a gear and squeeze here and there. Say what you want but you’re wrong.

Statistically you’re more prone to get into trouble unless you row through the gears without releasing the clutch. We can all agree that manual is quicker at least feels. It’s also easier to drop a gear and squeeze here and there. Say what you want but you’re wrong.
You are making the point that just because you drive a MT you will drive it differently. I'm saying that you might and can but that doesn't mean that you will or have to. There is no way that I'm wrong because there is not a definitive causal relation between them both.

Don't get me wrong, I love dropping a gear or 2 and being able to control the car. I love driving a MT because I feel a part of the car instead of along for the ride. At the same time I can drive it quiet and easily 98% of the time and cut loose when I feel like it. I feel like I drive different cars differently more then what trans it has. Like I drive my MR2 the most aggressively. I drive my Corolla S more aggressively now that it is turbocharged but that means that I enjoy on ramps and accelerating up to highway speed more then before. It doesn't mean that I drive faster just in general. I drive the Prius and Previa the most laid back so for me it's always been the the of car and I think that's true for most people. I would drive a Corolla basically the same no matter if it was equipped with a MT or AT. It was interesting to see I enjoyed the extra 100HP in my Corolla though! Fun times!!!

You are making the point that just because you drive a MT you will drive it differently. I'm saying that you might and can but that doesn't mean that you will or have to. There is no way that I'm wrong because there is not a definitive causal relation between them both.

Don't get me wrong, I love dropping a gear or 2 and being able to control the car. I love driving a MT because I feel a part of the car instead of along for the ride. At the same time I can drive it quiet and easily 98% of the time and cut loose when I feel like it. I feel like I drive different cars differently more then what trans it has. Like I drive my MR2 the most aggressively. I drive my Corolla S more aggressively now that it is turbocharged but that means that I enjoy on ramps and accelerating up to highway speed more then before. It doesn't mean that I drive faster just in general. I drive the Prius and Previa the most laid back so for me it's always been the the of car and I think that's true for most people. I would drive a Corolla basically the same no matter if it was equipped with a MT or AT. It was interesting to see I enjoyed the extra 100HP in my Corolla though! Fun times!!!
Nice cars by the way, I'm sure that corolla is a whole lot of fun now, love the MR2 as well. Those Mr2s are light as hell and handle like a dream, had an opportunity to be driven in one long time ago. This is probably one of those cars that will appreciate in value as time goes by if it hasn't already. Maybe not quite like Supras but still. I like the fact that you're driving nothing but Toyotas, reminds me of my family. After I owned my 2000 4runner limited for almost 15 years and a MT civic at the same time, I've persuaded my entire family to buy nothing but Toyotas and their car trouble ended.

So back on track - I'm just speaking from my own experience, by watching fellow family members and friends who own manual transmission vehicles I'm simply expressing my observation in comparison to the same demographic that own AT cars. On average I can easily identify the group with MT get more tickets, get into more accidents, have had their licenses suspended etc... I'm no idiot, I have a family and I'm a 37 year old male engineer in computer science so I've owned my share of manual transmission cars. I was younger so that works against me and may have contributed to making riskier decisions but just by looking at my record between owning MT and AT, there is a strong correlation that indicate MT get you in trouble more, no matter how you slice it. I could give my left you know what that if you took a sample from a general population consisting of same age/gender individuals and compared the two - you would come up with a conclusion that supports my theory.

You may have a stronger will power to control your driving habits than the rest of us myself included, I'll admin that. Generally speaking I will drive a MT vehicle more aggressively than AT. I'm glad you're able to control your urges and from your perspective you're right. I'm just calling it how I see it. Not trying to offend you or anything I'm just expressing my opinion and what I've observed over the years. Again everyone's different and it's nice to have that extra HP and not use it, but eventually you're going to use it and 400HP vs 150HP car can get you in a whole lot more trouble even while merging onto a highway. You have more confidence so you're going to try something you would normally not try in a 150HP car. Again there are many variables including skill level, road conditions, familiarity with the road you're driving on. On the flip side there are dudes over 60 that drive manual trannys and never go over 3k rpm. Hope you can see my point. :)

Last edited:
Nice cars by the way, I'm sure that corolla is a whole lot of fun now, love the MR2 as well. Those Mr2s are light as hell and handle like a dream, had an opportunity to be driven in one long time ago. This is probably one of those cars that will appreciate in value as time goes by if it hasn't already. Maybe not quite like Supras but still. I like the fact that you're driving nothing but Toyotas, reminds me of my family. After I owned my 2000 4runner limited for almost 15 years and a MT civic at the same time, I've persuaded my entire family to buy nothing but Toyotas and their car trouble ended.

So back on track - I'm just speaking from my own experience, by watching fellow family members and friends who own manual transmission vehicles I'm simply expressing my observation in comparison to the same demographic that own AT cars. On average I can easily identify the group with MT get more tickets, get into more accidents, have had their licenses suspended etc... I'm no idiot, I have a family and I'm a 37 year old male engineer in computer science so I've owned my share of manual transmission cars. I was younger so that works against me and may have contributed to making riskier decisions but just by looking at my record between owning MT and AT, there is a strong correlation that indicate MT get you in trouble more, no matter how you slice it. I could give my left you know what that if you took a sample from a general population consisting of same age/gender individuals and compared the two - you would come up with a conclusion that supports my theory.

You may have a stronger will power to control your driving habits than the rest of us myself included, I'll admin that. Generally speaking I will drive a MT vehicle more aggressively than AT. I'm glad you're able to control your urges and from your perspective you're right. I'm just calling it how I see it. Not trying to offend you or anything I'm just expressing my opinion and what I've observed over the years. Again everyone's different and it's nice to have that extra HP and not use it, but eventually you're going to use it and 400HP vs 150HP car can get you in a whole lot more trouble even while merging onto a highway. You have more confidence so you're going to try something you would normally not try in a 150HP car. Again there are many variables including skill level, road conditions, familiarity with the road you're driving on. On the flip side there are dudes over 60 that drive manual trannys and never go over 3k rpm. Hope you can see my point. :)
Thanks! I love my cars and the variety that I own within the Toyota family. My daughters all drive a Toyota and my mom has 2 while my brother also owns a Toyota truck. Over the years even my wife's sisters have bought mostly Toyotas and many have been from me.I here are 8 more Toyotas among them!

I've been driving MT cars since 1978 when I learned to drive. I've never experienced an issue with any differences while driving an AT or MT car as both can go faster then the speed limit. In fact the few tickets that I have received have all been in an AT car! Accelerating up to speed is more fun in a MT car but driving along at around the speed limit makes no difference. I've always believed that it's more up the driver then the car. I see so many idiots behind the wheel that it amazes me. I've never understood why people drive the way they do in busy traffic. To say a driver can't control themselves with the power maybe shouldn't be driving a car with that much power! I have my fun but I know when and where to have it. Little blips of the throttle can be fun while accelerating up to speed but that isn't against the law.

Maybe it's because I spent many years racing autocross and have done some other high speed drives on closed roads that were put on by various clubs. I don't get my kicks as much on regular roads with traffic. That being said I love to drive fast through the hills and mountains. With the way my Supercharged MR2 and Corolla S Turbo handle and the power they have I enjoy them so much while powering through the curves. You have to be smart where you enjoy the abilities of your car, MT or not! Maybe some peoples only thrill is the fun of a MT, that I'll never know. I just say that they need to be smarter while driving and they won't get tickets. My last speeding ticket was in 1993 but I have my fun. Cruise control is a great tool while on road trips too.