Squeaky/Grinding Sound When Stopping

Hi guys,
Just bought this used corolla 2006. So far so good.
Recently I hear the half squeaky half grinding sound when I:
- Hold brake and stop the car
- Set gear in Drive
- Turn on Air con

It comes and goes when I turn on and off the air con.

But when I set the gear to Park, no problem.

Any idea? What's the operation of the fans/air-con/cooling system?

Thanks guys!

Jeff

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::clap::thumbup::balloon::party::)

It's quite a feat to be able to diagnose an unusual noise in a car without being able to actually hear it. But if there is a grinding when applying the brakes that sounds like maybe brake pads that are worn out and digging into the brake rotors. With a noise that is present when the car is put in Drive and not heard when put into Park, that sounds like something with the engine, transmission, axle shafts/CV joints or motor and/or transmission mounts. There are many possibilities. The only way to know for sure is to have a professional automotive technician at an auto center diagnose it.

If you recently bought the car from a used car dealership, take it back to them for warranty repair work. Guessing, it sounds like whatever these noise issues are is why someone sold the car instead of taking the time and money to repair it.

Last edited:
I would guess that the brakes and the drive belt need to be replaced. Maybe get some video up on YouTube and post the link here so we could hear it. That would help out.

Thanks guys,
It turns out to be the old Driving Belt. Problem solved.
But ...
What's the difference (interms of Driving belt behavior) when I stop the car and :
Put gear in Park vs Put Gear In Drive?
Does it work harder/faster/slower in Drive Gear?

Thanks!