Starting issues 1992 Toyota Corolla

Kiki

In morning sometimes starts sometimes not. No click, no engine turnover, Must get first, sometimes very faint sounding click in morning or forget it I have to wait, retry, retry finally starts. After initial starting works fine all day long.

New battery, wires checked, alternator fine, tune up done everything checks out fine. Two replacement keys tried - don't know if this help to start or not. Also, moved floor mat to be sure clutch pedal was to the floor. I seem to get a stronger starting sound with floor mat moved.

Could it be the starter relay? What does that do? I read online Toyota has the capability to (can't find it) to replace only "igniters" (can't remember the name) in end of the starter?? Could it be the ignition? Last time I though I noticed it turned more to the right than usual. Hasn't happened since though to really see.

Mechanics - want to replace starter to "see" if that is the problem. I can't afford trial and error solutions. Also, cannot afford to be stranded. I just don't think its the starter because I don't have that click, click, clicking business...? Any ideas?