Steering popping sound

Discussion in '2003 - 2008 Toyota Corolla' started by papabear1245, Aug 9, 2018.

1. papabear1245

papabear1245 New Member

My 2006 Toyota Corolla hit a curb recently. I had to replace the lower control arm and various suspension components. Now when turning there is a popping sound as you turn the steering wheel. I disconnected the outer tie rod end from the knuckle on the accident side so the only things moving are the steering wheel, rack, and the opposite tire. The sound is still there which leads me to believe its the rack. Could it be something in the steering shaft? How do I isolate further?

2. Corolla Forum Sign Up!

Join CorollaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota Corolla fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Corolla and Matrix Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Toyota, and have a great time with other Corolla fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Toyota you'll find that Corolla Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join CorollaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jrobb

Jrobb New Member

That one could be kind of hard to narrow down because cv axles will start to pop during turning when they are getting worn out and tired. I would jack it up and take both outer tie rods out of their respective knuckles and manually move the rack with your hands by pushing and pulling on the tie rod and see if you can feel any sort of grinding or popping like that.