Strange Air Conditioning Problem

sb79

I have an issue with airconditioning (manual) in a Toyota Corolla (2003), for which I have not yet been able to find a solution or a reason.

The problem manifests itself in such a way that the cold air blowing suddenly stops, and the system starts blowing warm air instead (when on max. cold and A/C on). It can be so that it blow cold for a few minutes when starts to drive, and then warm air.

Stopping the car for a while can help such that it will again blow cold air (for a short while). I have taken the car to an authorized Toyota repair, however, they did not find any problems with the A/C (they filled some cooleant only, and claimed that it should help, but it has not had any impact). They did not detect any leakage either in the A/C system.

It seems that the problem is more frequent when the temperature is really high outside (say, around 23C and above). I do not now in case it can be related, but it seems that the car radio can become mute (no sound at all) at the time when the A/C starts blowing warm air. Also, when A/C works better (lower temps) then radio will also function properly.

I have installed an AUX adapter earlier, which allows me to connect a mobile phone for music playback via the factory radio, could that have caused some side effects with the A/C?

Anyway, I would be very grateful for any helps and comments concerning this issue, as I have not been able to find a solution to the problem yet.

If there's no leak then your system is now overcharged. Unfortunately this misrepair happens too often.

Warm air indicates it is stuck on the defrost cycle. You need a real auto A/C expert.

HF