Struts (Front)

I have been told that I need new struts in the front. Every bump I hear clunking noises from the front.. I was told my bushings went south. So what do I need to do replace this. I hear there is a quick strut kit I can get. Is that all I need???

Guessing, it sounds like the strut bearings plates are worn out, but that's a pure guess. Noises could be coming from a host of different places.

The Monroe quick-strut kit comes with the strut, the coil spring and the bearing plate all in one unit.

Have you inspected the struts for oil leaking down the sides or given them a bounce test? That is the way to determine if they need replacing or not.

I recommend addressing the high oil consumption issue your engine is having first, before more irreversible expensive engine damage is done.

-- Monroe Strut/Shock Certified Ride Expert

I will be calling you in an hour about the oil

I couldn't find the Monroe quick strut kit on Rockauto.com???

The strut looks in pretty bad shape, I see no oil leaking down the side. I will look again. Also, I did the bounce test it goes down up and down again. SO I am assuming its not bouncing like crazy

For the bounce test, push down as hard as you can at each corner of the car, let it come back up, repeat again and again until the car is bouncing up and down as much as possible. Then, let the car go and if it continues to cycle up and down three times or more, the struts are worn out and should be replaced.

To check for blown seals on the struts, (oil leaks), look at the part of the strut where the chrome shaft in the middle of the strut is protruding out of the strut body itself. Now look on the strut tube/body below that for areas that are darker than the strut tube, indicating an oil leak. These oil leaks typically also attract road grime and dirt, which covers the oil in caked on blob of dirt.

Most MacPherson struts are worn out by 100,000 miles or so. If they need replacing, a four wheel alignment must also be completed, or the tires will wear out at an accelerated pace.

Advance Auto Parts offers the Monroe Quick-Struts and you can pick them up at your local store- http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*15010|L3*15732

I remember pushing down it the corners once to see if it bounced, i believe then it went up and down once or twice. I will do it again by repeating it again and again until it is bouncing.

The car has 160 on it. I am pretty sure it is the original struts.

I will double check the oil leaking