Stuck in Park

I have a 2000corolla that will not go out of park when brake is applied, it was suggested to me that it may be a faulty brake light switch, no luck there, i changed it but still stuck in park. Any suggestions, I'm hoping there is some sort of override

DavidH

There is an override. Since you have already changed the brake light switch, which was the correct thing to do, next check fuses. The taillight/dash lights fuse AND brake light fuse. Press the override button on the bottom of the shifter to get it moving . You can use this switch, underneath the shifter console, to get it out of "Park" if the fuses are not blown.

Last edited:

DavidH

I forgot to say..there is a little tab by the shifter, pry it gently out with a small flat screwdriver. Its about the size of a postage stamp. Under it is a button, push it, will override the interlock

There is an override. Since you have already changed the brake light switch, which was the correct thing to do, next check fuses. The taillight/dash lights fuse AND brake light fuse. Press the override button on the bottom of the shifter to get it moving . You can use this switch, underneath the shifter console, to get it out of "Park" if the fuses are not blown.
I have the same problem, I changed the brake light switch, but still the problem persist, could you please let me know where are located these fuses? next to the engine? or inside the driver side?
Thanks in advance! BTW my car has 261500 miles

Did you change the fuse?

Now I changed the fuse, but still the problem comeback after few days.
I noticed Ive used the brake switch with cruise control instead of without.
I installed another brake switch, te correct one, another new fuse 15amp
Lets see how long last.