Stuck in Park

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Toyota Corolla' started by mickeymouse7295, Apr 13, 2013.

1. mickeymouse7295

mickeymouse7295 New Member

I have a 2000corolla that will not go out of park when brake is applied, it was suggested to me that it may be a faulty brake light switch, no luck there, i changed it but still stuck in park. Any suggestions, I'm hoping there is some sort of override
  2. Corolla Forum Sign Up!

Join Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota Corolla fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Corolla and Matrix Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Toyota, and have a great time with other Corolla fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Toyota you'll find that Corolla Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DavidH

DavidH New Member

There is an override. Since you have already changed the brake light switch, which was the correct thing to do, next check fuses. The taillight/dash lights fuse AND brake light fuse. Press the override button on the bottom of the shifter to get it moving . You can use this switch, underneath the shifter console, to get it out of "Park" if the fuses are not blown.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. DavidH

DavidH New Member

I forgot to say..there is a little tab by the shifter, pry it gently out with a small flat screwdriver. Its about the size of a postage stamp. Under it is a button, push it, will override the interlock
  5. Scott O'Kashan

Scott O'Kashan Super Moderator

mickeymouse - So what is the status of your car? Everyone is wondering.
  6. corolla95

corolla95 New Member

I have the same problem, I changed the brake light switch, but still the problem persist, could you please let me know where are located these fuses? next to the engine? or inside the driver side?
    Thanks in advance! BTW my car has 261500 miles
  7. Donabed Kopoian

Donabed Kopoian 6 Speed Master

Brake light fuse should be in interior fuse box.
  8. corolla95

corolla95 New Member

Did you change the fuse?

Now I changed the fuse, but still the problem comeback after few days.
    I noticed Ive used the brake switch with cruise control instead of without.
    I installed another brake switch, te correct one, another new fuse 15amp
    Lets see how long last.