Thinking About Buying A New Corolla But Have Question

I am thinking about purchasing either a 2014 Corolla LE Eco or S but I have some questions I hope some owners can answer.

1) How does new Corolla's steering and handling feel when compared to an 8th gen (2006-2011) Honda Civic?

My current car is a 2008 Honda Civic EX Coupe and I think its steering and handling is much better than older generation Corollas.

Although various reviews on web sites have indicated that Toyota has improved steering and handling on the 2014 Corolla but I don't know how much better.

So I hope perhaps there are some former 8th gen Civic owners who can answer this question.

(Yes, I know I should go for a test drive at a dealership to find out myself but I would like to hear from some owners first before I actually go down to a dealership to engage in some uncomfortable conversations with car sales people).

2) The rear seat headrests appear to be non-adjustable and non-removable. Is that correct?

If so, how do you guys cope with the diminishing rear mirror view because those tall headrests are blocking the rear window view?

I don't know why Toyota would make tall headrests which block rear view but this could be one reason I will not buy a new Corolla if I cannot get use to it during a test drive.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Without personally knowing how a Civic in that age/era handles, it is impossible to give feedback. However, I can tell you that my '14 S Premium does handle differently from my '13 S...and differently from my '10 S. As you mentioned, best to just go take that test drive and then you will know!

About the rear headrests...my '10 S seemed to bother me a bit with diminished visibility. I didn't really notice with my '13 (maybe I was just getting used to it by the time I traded?). With the '14, I don't notice any problems, either.

That test drive will also answer that question for you!

Loving my new S Premium.

Happy shopping!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
In the 2014 Corolla Forum section here, there are quite a few videos evaluating the 2014 Corolla that will help answer your questions.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I know I should take a test drive to determine whether I like the car or not but I was hoping there are some former 8th gen Civic owners here who can provide some insight.

(2006-2011 Civics were extremely popular so I am surprised I have not seen any former owners here. May be most 8th gen Civic owners are still enjoying their car or may be I should wait a day or two for former Civic owners to read and respond my post. As for my Civic, it was a victim of the great UCLA flood from last week).

The reason I have not yet taken a test drive is because I don't want to deal with car sales people unless I have to. From my past experience, dealing with car sales people is quite stressful even if I only want to take a test drive without any commitment to purchase.

If there are no former 8th gen Civic owners here to provide some comparison, I may very well have to visit a dealer for test drives.

Thanks for the information.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Sounds like maybe you need to shop around for a better new car dealership. The experiences you have can vary greatly from dealership to dealership.

Good luck with it.

Vtak8k I think has an 8th gen. Hopefully he sees this thread but I haven't seen him pop in for a while. You might be able to shoot him a PM.

As far as the 2014 S handles. It has understeer, and it annoys me, but unless you push the car really hard, you won't notice it. Other than that (and I plan on tackling it when I graduate), I love the car. And no, the rear seat headrests don't interfere with the mirror at all.

I personally love this car and very happy with my purchase. My Toyota Corolla S Premium drives very well. The steering wheel feels great. I have never owned an HOnda so i couldn't compare.

You let the dealership know in advance you want to test drive and no commitment. While car shopping this is what I said and would leave when I knew I wasn't interested. They will try to talk to you but you let them know that you are just drive testing to see whats right for you.

My previous car was a Mazda 6 2005 and this car feels a lot nicer.

I've only driven the 8th generation Civic a handful of times but I can definitely tell you the new Corolla's steering will definitely feel a bit stiffer.

When using the rear view mirror I don't notice a big issue with visibility in regards to the headrests, the rear window is big enough for you to see out of it without the headrests impairing your vision.

When you go to the dealership to test drive the car, definitely bring a friend. Someone that can help distract the salesman/woman if you're trying to prepare for the awkward sales pitch and pushiness. Luckily for me my GF's father was my salesman so he let me drive my current car with only my gf and I.

Good luck with your decision!

Vtak8k I think has an 8th gen. Hopefully he sees this thread but I haven't seen him pop in for a while. You might be able to shoot him a PM.

As far as the 2014 S handles. It has understeer, and it annoys me, but unless you push the car really hard, you won't notice it. Other than that (and I plan on tackling it when I graduate), I love the car. And no, the rear seat headrests don't interfere with the mirror at all.
I do have an 8thgen Civic, hopefully will still keep it for awhile.:yes:

Unfortunately I don't think I can answer this question since my Civic is an Si, which is far different than the EX the OP mentioned.

What I can say is that my 08 Civic Si outhandles my wife's new 14 Corolla S. The S is pretty good though, adequate for the power that comes with it.

You may want to look up the thread on here about high speed wobbling though, and test drive one on the highway to see what you think. Apparently some people are not satisfied with the high speed handling of this Corolla S. I've had ours on a road trip doing 80 for long stretches and it did feel a bit light but I never felt like it was a danger.

Why have you not looked at the new Civics? Besides them being ugly and having less space than the Corolla? The looks are one reason I'll be keeping my 8th gen for a few more years. Hopefully the next gen Si will be nice, and I'll jump on it:thumbsup:

Edit: I forgot to mention that I never even noticed the headreasts in the Corolla as an issue. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I had an 8th Generation Civic Ex, my ex-Girlfriend had a 2007 Honda Civic Si and a Type R.
My family all drive Honda cars, so I have an opportunity to drive the CRX, CRV, Accord, CRV, Pilot and the Honda Fit which was my last car. I just bought the 2014 Toyota Corolla S Premium for a month now. So it is easy to answer your questions.

(I ONLY DRIVE MANUAL)

1. The handling feel and steering of the Honda is way better. I was able to drive my old Civic using my LEFT LEG to steer my car, my RIGHT LEG for Gas/Brake while my RIGHT HAND hold my girlfriend's hand and my LEFT HAND to change gears. I don't even need to touch the steering wheel if I drive straight with my old Civic. I can't do either with the Corolla. Hands on steering wheel at all time, which is what driver's suppose to do.

2. Rear mirror, I had that issue as well. it is depend on your height.....It took few weeks to get use to it. It doesn't bother me at all now. Again, no one said you can't test drive more than once.

There is always something you don't like about your car, you just need find something you like more and go for it. I like everything about my NEW COROLLA S, except for the steering and handling feel.

Hope this helps
Good Luck

I've only driven the 8th generation Civic a handful of times but I can definitely tell you the new Corolla's steering will definitely feel a bit stiffer.
When you say stiffer, do you mean the steering feels crisper (eg quick and precise and tight enough) or do you mean the steering feels heavy and slow?

Thanks

What I can say is that my 08 Civic Si outhandles my wife's new 14 Corolla S. The S is pretty good though, adequate for the power that comes with it.
I would like to explain my thoughts on steering and handling of various cars I have driven in the past so you guys can understand why I am a little obsessed with this subject.

The followings are my ratings of steering and handling performance of various cars I have driven in the past:

2003 Toyota Corolla - 3/10
(This corolla has numb, lose and imprecise steering. It often makes me feel there is some kind of lag between when I turn the steering wheel and when the car actually start to turn. The lag could be psychological and doesn't really exist but it just doesn't feel good. And it tends to understeer. My parent own one of this car so I have the chance to borrow it to drive quite often.)

2010/2011? Toyota Corolla - 3.5/10
(I drove the car a few times from a car rental. This prior gen Corolla is only slightly better than the 2003 model but there is still under steering and that lag feeling)

2012/2013? Ford Tauras - 4/10
(This is the rental car I've been driving the last few days after my Civic got flooded at UCLA. Its steering feels heavy and the car is not very nimble. After driving this car, I am sure Ford Taurus will NOT take back the mid sized sedan sales crown from Toyota Camry any time soon)

1989 Toyota Camry DX - 4.5/10
(This 2nd gen Camry with 4 cylinder engine actually feels pretty good when compared to many recent Corollas and that Ford Tauras I got from a car rental. If it had stiffer suspension, it probably would be as good as an 8th gen Civic. The V6 model is very front heavy and not as good 3.5/10 for the V6 model)

1985 Nissan 200SX - 4.5/10
(How can I possibly remember how this old car performed? We'll. I gave it a 4.5 rating because when I moved from this car to the 1989 Camry, I did not have to adjust to the steering and handling attributes of the 1989 Camry. They feel pretty similar)

2008 Honda Civic EX Sedan - 5/10
(This car sets the minimum steering and handling quality I am looking for in a new car because its steering feels natural to me; precise enough, nimble enough and natural enough without under steering or over steering or any feeling of lag. The first time I drove a 8th gen Civic, I immediately feel the size of its steering wheel is the perfect size for me).

2001 Toyota Camry - 5/10
(This Camry is not quite as nimble as 8th gen Civic but its steering and handling is still very good plus smoother ride. Better than the fat Taurus I've been driving in the last few days. So I gave it a 5).

2008 Honda Civic EX Coupe - 5.5/10
(This is the car I owned for the last six years until UCLA Flood. Steering and handling performance of the two door Civic always feel slightly better than the sedan probably because the coupe more nimble or Honda gave the coupe slightly better suspension)

2006 Honda Civic Si Sedan - 6/10
(I have only driven this car for about six or seven times but its steering and handling always feel natural and slightly more precise than my EX coupe.)

So where would you place the 2014 Corolla based on the above ratings I listed?

If most drivers here think steering and handling of 2014 Corolla is at least as good as the 8th gen Civic sedan, I will give it a shot and schedule a test drive. But if the new Corolla is not on par with the 8th gen Civic, there is no reason for me to consider it because I will most likely be disappointed.

Yes, I know I should simply do a test drive to decide for myself...

Why have you not looked at the new Civics? Besides them being ugly and having less space than the Corolla? The looks are one reason I'll be keeping my 8th gen for a few more years. Hopefully the next gen Si will be nice, and I'll jump on it:thumbsup:.
I agree The 9the gen Civic (both sedan and coupe) are uglier than 8th gen Civic, especially the first iteration for year 2012. The current Civic sedan has a rear brake light design that looks like a piece of layered cheese cake folded in half. I don't like that but it's not the ugliest compact car on the market.

Personally I think the 8th gen Civic coupe is one of the best looking coupes ever designed especially the 2006-2008 model with that classic Honda front grill. (I don't like the honeycomb front grill found on the 2009-2011 model). Too bad mine got flood damage last week. I really wanted to drive my EX coupe for at least another 10 years.

Currently there is not a single compact car on the car market with good styling I really like.
Elantra? its rear looks like an ugly Saturn wearing a MC Hammer pant.
Mazda 3? oh that LOL front grill. No.
Ford Focus? Looks bloated. If Ford can eliminate that bloated look I would consider the current Focus the best looking compact car.

But by the virtue of being least ugly, I still consider the new Corolla and new Civic the better looking compact cars on the market.

I have researched the new Civic but have not decided to purchase one because comparable Corollas (based on known specification and features) are less expensive than Civic and many reviews I read online indicate that Corolla's Entune system is better than Hondalink. But ultimately steering and handling is the most important quality I am looking for. I simply can not tolerate the steering performance of the 2003 and 2010 Corollas I have driven before.

The more I write about the subject, the more I think I should just schedule a test drive.

Anyway..

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome

Last edited:
I had an 8th Generation Civic Ex, my ex-Girlfriend had a 2007 Honda Civic Si and a Type R.

1. The handling feel and steering of the Honda is way better.

I like everything about my NEW COROLLA S, except for the steering and handling feel.
Hi Blackbird,

Your insight definitely helps.

If you read my other post where I provided my personal ratings of steering and handling performance for various cars based on my experience, where would you place the 2014 Corolla S you have?

For example, if you rate the 8th gen Civic EX sedan a 5 out of 10, how would you rate your 2014 Corolla S?

BTW. Have you got used to not seeing the big digital speedometer found on 8th gen Civic?

I have been driving a rental Ford Taurus and when I want to check how fast I am driving I actually have bend my head to read the speedometer. In my Civic, I only have to move my eye sight a few degree downward without bending my head...

Thanks.

Last edited:
If steering and handling are your most important features, then you should be getting a RWD sports car. Scion FR-S, Subaru BR-Z, Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger, Hyundai Genesis Coupe ... otherwise you gotta deal with it. Most compact cars are made to go from point A to point B. You can get them to handle well but it takes suspensions modifications. Even the Focus ST (which makes the Civic Si look like amateur hour) is an understeer festival unless you buy new suspension. You will never, ever get a FWD to handle like a RWD car. It's not possible. The only reason why FWD is used is because it is cheap (some argue that it is safer in snow and rain but I would argue that RWD is better because dealing with oversteer is easier than dealing with understeer).

The one FWD car that had awesome suspension from the get go was my 2008 Matrix. I have no idea why the Matrix handles so much better than the Corolla, but it does, but in the end, even that car was no Mustang around a corner.

Steering and handling are on the top of my list but that does not mean I want a FRS/BRZ, Mustang, Genesis or Cayman. Nor am I looking for a mid or full size car with turbo engine or with 300+ horse power.

First of all those cars are outside of my budget so I'm not even going to consider them. Secondly, I don't like to drive fat or bloated car regardless of their steering and handling performance.

I am simply looking for a new compact size car with good steering and handling comparable to the 8th gen Civic at the very least.

My own research narrowed my choices down to the new Corolla and Civic. Based on specifications listed on their official web site, I was originally leaning toward Civic primarily because of pricing and dashboard tech.

However, my past experience with various Corollas are not good. As I have mentioned earlier, the 1989 2nd gen Camry I owned had better steering and handling performance than the 2010/2011 Corolla. That casts doubt in my mind whether Toyota really improved steering and handling performance of the new Corolla to a level comparable to 8th gen Civic.

Now that Blackbird has confirmed that steering and handling of 2014 Corolla is not as good as 8th gen Civic, I am probably going to lean toward getting a Civic first.

If things don't work out with any Honda dealer, I may take a look at the new Corolla again.

All I can say is test drive the car yourself and decide my friend. Regarding to the big digital speedometer found on 8th gen Civic, I did miss it but I really like the new look on the Corolla speedometer.

Good luck
Cheers

Steering and handling are on the top of my list but that does not mean I want a FRS/BRZ, Mustang, Genesis or Cayman. Nor am I looking for a mid or full size car with turbo engine or with 300+ horse power.

First of all those cars are outside of my budget so I'm not even going to consider them. Secondly, I don't like to drive fat or bloated car regardless of their steering and handling performance.

I am simply looking for a new compact size car with good steering and handling comparable to the 8th gen Civic at the very least.

My own research narrowed my choices down to the new Corolla and Civic. Based on specifications listed on their official web site, I was originally leaning toward Civic primarily because of pricing and dashboard tech.

However, my past experience with various Corollas are not good. As I have mentioned earlier, the 1989 2nd gen Camry I owned had better steering and handling performance than the 2010/2011 Corolla. That casts doubt in my mind whether Toyota really improved steering and handling performance of the new Corolla to a level comparable to 8th gen Civic.

Now that Blackbird has confirmed that steering and handling of 2014 Corolla is not as good as 8th gen Civic, I am probably going to lean toward getting a Civic first.

If things don't work out with any Honda dealer, I may take a look at the new Corolla again.

I love the dash in my Civic!

We test drove an LE Corolla before we bought our S. I have to say the dash in the LE is boring and it really turned me off. The dash in the S is nice and has a sporty look to it.

Saiyan, I personally think you should at least test drive the Corolla and the new Civic so you can get a 1st hand view of how both handles. Getting someone else's opinion is great but you'll be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't at least give the Corolla a test drive. Just my two cents.

If the dealer knows you're a serious buyer they will give you the car overnight to see how well you can live with it. I did it with the Corolla we just bought, even though I tested the LE and bought an S. I had a brand new Fusion over the weekend right before I bought the Corolla, that worked out well because I had time to realise the Fusion was not what I wanted. And back when I bought my Civic Si, I had one overnight. I didn't end up buying one till a month later.

Test driving a car is a must, the longer you can get it, the better.

I traded our 2007 Civic LX Coupe auto for a 2014 Corolla L sedan auto. We had the Civic for 4 years and put about 60k miles on it. The '07 Civic was probably the best handing car I ever owned. I found it to be a little sluggish off the line compared to the older Civics I've had but more powerful otherwise. The Corolla is similar off the line but the power seems more even. The L model won't impress anyone with a need for speed, while the Civic screams when you get on it.

The Corolla feels like a different class of car altogether. The ride is softer, quieter, and smoother. It handles like a bigger car, and there is more of a floating feeling when taking turns or going over bumps. The Civic feels flat and accurate in the twisties; however, I found the ride to be rough and the road noise horrendous, unlike the Corolla.

Gas mileage is about the same. The Corolla does a little better in combined and city driving. Of course, the Civic, by its nature, will cause many drivers to drive it harder, thus using even more gas.

So far, I have to say, I like the Corolla better. I found our '07 Civic's body and interior build quality to be inferior to other Hondas. We had a long list of annoying problems. Even our Kia Soul is better. The Corolla seems decent but time will tell.

Test drive ?

One suggestion for a test drive might be to drive a rental car. We had occasion to rent a 2014 Corolla LE from Enterprise while our car was in for collision damage. We had been considering a Ford Focus or Fusion but after driving the Corolla a few days we were impressed with it. As a result, I have owned a 2014 Corolla LE Plus for about 3 months now and have been more impressed with it the more I drive it. It actually feels like the interior is roomier than the 2000 Mercury Sable it replaced...In addition 10 to 15 Miles Per Gallon better.

I've been getting about 30 MPG in town driving (same as the best highway MPG on the Sable - Sable got 20 MPG town ) and 44.5 MPG on a recent trip mostly highway driving.

I realize this is just an "IMHO"..But "IMHO" the Corolla looks best in the "Super White"color . May be also an "IMHO" but the "Super White" seems a more brilliant white than other cars.

Last edited:
I realize this is just an "IMHO"..But "IMHO" the Corolla looks best in the "Super White"color . May be also an "IMHO" but the "Super White" seems a more brilliant white than other cars.
I picked a 2014 Corolla L Super White because I though it looked best out of the L choices. The L only comes in 4 colors--white, black, silver, and slate. Here in Florida white is a best choice, I think. Texas is probably similar. I can put my hand on a white car in the summer. It's warm but not like other colors. Dark colors will seriously burn your skin. And yes, Super White is brighter than a lot of other white cars.

I picked a 2014 Corolla L Super White because I though it looked best out of the L choices. The L only comes in 4 colors--white, black, silver, and slate. Here in Florida white is a best choice, I think. Texas is probably similar. I can put my hand on a white car in the summer. It's warm but not like other colors. Dark colors will seriously burn your skin. And yes, Super White is brighter than a lot of other white cars.
Previous car was a dark blue metallic. Yes !There is quite a difference. And we find the (ash gray LE Plus) cloth seats much more comfortable than the (LS Premium parchment) leather seats. Have been having in the 100's lately which is a good test. LOL. All in all, I thought I would be downsizing and downgrading going from the Sable to the Corolla, but so far it has been more like upsizing and upgrading. That rates a happy "LOL", too ! I've been seeing a lot of "Identical Twins" (Just like mine, that is) on the roads lately, too.

Last edited:
saiyan - Don't make the mistake of letting someone else test drive a car for you and give you their opinion. Different strokes for different folks. You have no way of knowing if the way a car handles is satisfying to you or not unless you test drive the car yourself.

So it's been a while since you have posed in this thread. Did you test drive the Corolla? Impressions?

SaiyanYou might not be so lucky as we were. The Car Rental was handled through AAA and the Corolla just happened to be the rental car available. However, if you are very serious about the Corolla, I believe renting for a day or two would be well worth it. I got to give the car a fairly good road test in both city, freeway and open road highway driving in the process. When I picked it up I thought it was a Camry.That, and the overall appearance, especially the interior and most especially, the dash, interior space and all the other features...that the others have commented on... was what sold me on the Corolla over the Focus or the Fusion. I looked them over, too, but didn't take a test drive on them. That is saying something from a former confirmed Ford products only owner. One look was enough. Of course this was another big "IMHO". But just a suggestion.

Of course you have to regard this is strictly my opinion. I am sure a Ford owner could give you reasons why he is more impressed with a Focus or a Fusion than of a Corolla.
As Scott O'Kashan said, "Different strokes for different folks." The opinions expressed on this forum are strictly based on my personal impressions. Yours might be quite different. But you will never know unless you do a test drive of your own.

Question for 2014 Corolla owners with the standard 1.8 Liter engine .

With the 10,000 mile oil change,do you find it necessary to add oil between changes ? Only 1,500 miles so far. Dipstick still showing at full mark and oil is still clear golden color.

Last edited:
Question for 2014 Corolla owners with the standard 1.8 Liter engine .

With the 10,000 mile oil change,do you find it necessary to add oil between changes ?
I haven't owned my L long enough to know (600mi) but, I have seen oil loss on other new cars during the first 5,000 miles, more or less. My 2013 Kia exhibited some unusual loss at first. After about 3,000, it has remained stable, and I haven't had to add any between changes.

I know that people say modern engines don't need a break-in period. From my experience that doesn't seem true. I have also seen a slight change in MPG, for some reason, with new cars.

Tell us how much oil you are adding. Maybe someone can tell if it's a problem.

I changed my oil at 150 miles, and have kept an eye on it since. Still at full at 6,100 miles. Also, there is a break-in period for the engine (manual says 637 miles or something odd like that).

2014 Toyota Corolla "3,340 mile road test"

Just returned from a two week trip from Texas to California. Very much even more impressed. Set the cruise control for 65 MPH for most of the trip. Gas mileage a constant 40 MPG. Very quiet on smooth roads at 65 MPH. Seemed as if you were "crawling".

It didn't seem as I was really going 65 MPH. Wife asked about this several times. But I checked it out by timing between mile markers on I-40. About 55 seconds between mile markers calculates to 65 MPH, so perhaps it's best to believe the speedometer. LOL.

Only glitch I noticed that on long downgrades or upgrades using the cruise control the engine would tend to "over rev" into high RPM's as noted on the tachometer.

However, I found by just tapping the brake to disengage the cruise control you could keep the RPM's under control by just a gentle touch of the accelerator pedal. Otherwise the RPM's seemed to stay at a constant - about 1,800 RPM - at most highway speeds. Also the acceleration was very good for passing. I noticed that sometimes I would get up to 80 MPH while passing without noticing it.

I would advise against using the cruise control if you are going through country with a lot of long upgrades and downgrades as on I-40 as across parts of New Mexico , Arizona and California.

I am otherwise a rather conservative driver . I followed the recommendations in the owners manual rather faithfully according by the book as listed in the owners manual for the break in period . At 5,000 miles dipstick showing still full. Just had the car in for the 5,000 mile service .

Last edited:
That isn't a glitch, just the car preferring 20% throttle at a lower gear (say 5th) as opposed to WOT in 7th. You actually get better mileage downshifting up steep grades and using less throttle than staying WOT in highest gear.

Update: After 5,000 miles and a 3,340 miles vacation trip

That isn't a glitch, just the car preferring 20% throttle at a lower gear (say 5th) as opposed to WOT in 7th. You actually get better mileage downshifting up steep grades and using less throttle than staying WOT in highest gear.
Thanks for the comment. I actually found that out by experience.

This is my first experience with a Toyota, and especially a Corolla.

However, the general impression after about 6 months, over 5,000 miles is that driving the Corolla seems to be more like a much larger car as far as comfort ,room , smoothnest and quietness on the road is concerned and the gasoline miles per gallon is certainly a lot better than those larger cars.And it is also a lot easier to drive, especially to park in tight spaces.

I have owned several cars...Every thing from Dodge Lancers (identical cousins of the Plymouth Valiant); mid size such as the Mercury Sable; and large cars such as the Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford LTD Crown Victoria ( 8 MPG town, 15 MPG highway. Ugh ! Large Thirsty Dog, indeed. :()

So far the Corolla seems to be the best of two worlds.:yes:

Just another question . Any comments ? I have noticed the "Average MPG" reading is usually about a mile or so higher reading than the figure I get by just dividing the odometer reading by the number of gallons on a fil up. I use the "Trip A'' and "Trip B" for the mileage checks. Reset to 0 at each fill up. For example, the "MPG" read out might be 31.2 MPG but when I do it by the odometer reading/gallons it comes out to 30 MPG. Could it be that the MPG reading might be just from a certain number of recent computations rather than an overall reading is the reason for the difference ? Not complaining. I still get a fairly constant 30 MPG in town driving and 40 MPG on the highway. Any comments would be welcomed. Of course on the "Instant MPG" I get anything from low readings to 99.9.

Last edited:
Also just checking out some figures and I found it wasn't my imagination that the leg room in the Corolla was larger than in the Sable. Actually the rear seat legroom in the Corolla was as much or larger than the specs for larger cars...even some full size cars don't have as much rear seat leg room according to some comments I have read.

Also the specs for the Corolla luggage room are 13 cubic feet. I checked this out with the measurements for a 1993 Sable. The dimensions (length and width) were almost identical and the Sable was listed as 16 cubic feet. Actually the height on the Corolla is a few inches more than on the Sable. I noticed on the recent trip I had just as much room for all the suitcases, etc. as I did on the Sable.

Wow! Such detailed analysis's...I drove my parents leased 2013 4DR Civic and I HATE it. I feel so tight inside it. The handling feels numb. They only thing I like about it...the tiny cute little steering wheel lol

Just another observation. I have noticed several Lexus' and the only difference on the steering wheels is that the Toyota Corolla has the Toyoto logo and the Lexus' have the Lexus "L" logo in the center of the steering wheel.

There is a definite family resemblance - sometimes nearly identical - between the exterior profiles of the Corolla and some Lexus models.

Last edited:
I am thinking about purchasing either a 2014 Corolla LE Eco or S but I have some questions I hope some owners can answer.

1) How does new Corolla's steering and handling feel when compared to an 8th gen (2006-2011) Honda Civic?

My current car is a 2008 Honda Civic EX Coupe and I think its steering and handling is much better than older generation Corollas.

Although various reviews on web sites have indicated that Toyota has improved steering and handling on the 2014 Corolla but I don't know how much better.

So I hope perhaps there are some former 8th gen Civic owners who can answer this question.

(Yes, I know I should go for a test drive at a dealership to find out myself but I would like to hear from some owners first before I actually go down to a dealership to engage in some uncomfortable conversations with car sales people).

2) The rear seat headrests appear to be non-adjustable and non-removable. Is that correct?

If so, how do you guys cope with the diminishing rear mirror view because those tall headrests are blocking the rear window view?

I don't know why Toyota would make tall headrests which block rear view but this could be one reason I will not buy a new Corolla if I cannot get use to it during a test drive.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you.
This has no direct bearing to your question. You need to test drive the Corolla. My 2015 Eco produces excessive wind noise beginning at 40 mph. The dealer "claims" mirror design. Drove another new LE and the wind noise level was actually worse than mine. The wind noise drives me to distraction. My 2007 Corolla did not have this problem (or any problem). I am now awaiting Nissan to correct glitches in the Altima or Sentra and then this 2015 Eco Plus is history.

3SGT is indeed a good driver car but when I was shopping I didn't perceive such a gap with the Corolla except... in price for similar equipment (C$ 8,000)...

Wow, I'm surprised and happy that there isn't a big handling difference between Corolla S Premium (that I bought) and 3SGT. I did not test drive the 3SGT but Consumer Reports and Edmunds both describe a huge difference in handling, steering, interior. Also, I'm surprised at that big $$ gap.

3SGT is indeed a good driver car but when I was shopping I didn't perceive such a gap with the Corolla except... in price for similar equipment (C$ 8,000)...

Wow, I'm surprised and happy that there isn't a big handling difference between Corolla S Premium (that I bought) and 3SGT. I did not test drive the 3SGT but Consumer Reports and Edmunds both describe a huge difference in handling, steering, interior. Also, I'm surprised at that big $$ gap.
Well to be honest, the 3SGT offer some equipment not even available on the Corolla (Blind Spot Monitoring system, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Departure Warning System) and is certainly quicker (bigger engine) for about the same mpg (on paper, not sure about real life for the Mazda). But for real commuting life, I chose to save the money and go with spacious and quieter (Corolla)