Thinking of Buying a Corolla

Hi,
I have a Honda accord and am thinking of trading it in for a used corolla. what are the best years and how much mileage is too much. I met a woman today with a 2012 corolla and she said the gas mileage was horrible. that surprised me. any ideas, thoughts are appreciated.

Welcome aboard! :)

34 mpg is horrible? It may be the way that person drives is horrible, and/or even more commonly don't know how to correctly calculate fuel economy.

http://www.FuelEconomy.gov says the 2012 Toyota Corolla gets 34 mpg highway and that is certainly not horrible -

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...r2=2012&make=Toyota&model=Corolla&srchtyp=ymm

The Toyota Corolla has a well earned reputation for providing very good fuel economy and being a solid, reliable car.

As far as mileage, it all depends on how the vehicle was maintained, or not. 150,000 miles for a well maintained vehicle is very good, but if the vehicle has been neglected, of course that's not good.

The below website is a decent guide to use in avoiding used cars that have noted problems -

http://www.carcomplaints.com/

I hope this helps you out.

I thought she was crazy when she said mileage was horrible. Toyota website lists city mileage as 26 mpg. she said her mileage was worse when she used the heat and air conditioning.

I'm hearing from Civic owners that the cars aren't what they used to be compared to many years ago. From what I've seen with prices for them they also seem to be very expensive. The Corolla might be a better buy.

Ok, thought again of a Rav 4, but I don't need that extra room. My concern with the Corolla is that the inside door handle is plastic. I can see problems with that. Any comments???

Bmer89

Yourmomgoestothestatefair
I've owned 4 old (20+ years old) toyotas, all with plastic handles and never had one break on me. Inside or out. And it gets darned right cold here in Washington.

Test drive both and then decide. I had a similar experience and went with the Corolla.
For me, the C has much more room, is much more comfortable, has a nice set of gauges, etc. I don't like the two-tiered dash on the Civic, and there isn't a whole lot of room.

Ok, thought again of a Rav 4, but I don't need that extra room. My concern with the Corolla is that the inside door handle is plastic. I can see problems with that. Any comments???
My father has a 2000 Corolla, and my sister has a 198__? Corolla - both have plastic handles. Not a problem.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
2007 Model kept to the Older style with a narrower inside, for long trips, more comfortable, the clock is located better, the gas pedal punchy, gas mileage excellent 36 mpg, each will differ city over 20 plus but varies

If you are after the next Model 2010 wider interior not as comfortable on long drives, as it is hard to rest the arms on the side, takes a long time to get used to. Placing bounty towel between you and arm rest helps , Lol, the clock placement is low and .Gas mileage excellent city 20 plus/hwy36mpg we gotten 42mpg on a 1500mile trip. Punchy pedal, and has power for a small engine.

before the latest model came out, 2013 S SLUGISH, mileage good gets city 20 plus/34mpg hwy , 1500 mile trip, gas pedal is not punchy, missing that power, the clock is right on top excellent place same wide interior, a lot of cutbacks one main one is the auto lights not offered as a standard pkg,

Been an owner and have a 1991 in hand that gets over 30mpg, and keeps on going..

Plastic handle as in the outer door handle, or the handle as in opening the door inside, or as the arm rest?

the inside door handle that opens the door did break, cost me 45.00 to replace, the other one is loose, and still works, did I forget to mention it is a roll up window?

Not yet. still trying to decide between a corolla and Honda civic
Just want to warn you about Toyota Corolla's horrible gas mileage that they say is 'normal' when you try to get them to do something about it. I leased a 2014 Corolla back in September. The most I have ever gotten is 24mpg...that was all highway. The car's mpg has been dropping steadily and Toyota basically told me 'good luck getting any compensation because the car is still running.' I am now getting 18.4mpg for a car that is advertised to get 30 average mpg. Looks like I am stuck with this lemon for the next year and a half. DON'T BUY TOYOTA. If they covered up that their vehicles were actually dangerous and were responsible for the death of several people, what would make me think they would care that I can barely afford to drive my car!!

I'm hearing from Civic owners that the cars aren't what they used to be compared to many years ago. From what I've seen with prices for them they also seem to be very expensive. The Corolla might be a better buy.
This is true. My first car I ever drove was a 1990 Honda Accord with 205k miles on it. That thing was a beast and did not want to die. Engine was due for an overhaul, but after that, it could have probably gone 200k more.

They aren't built to these standards anymore. The Honda CEO is stepping down and I really hope the new younger CEO taking his place realizes there's a market for performance Honda's in the U.S. and also gets the quality back to where it was.

Just want to warn you about Toyota Corolla's horrible gas mileage that they say is 'normal' when you try to get them to do something about it. I leased a 2014 Corolla back in September. The most I have ever gotten is 24mpg...that was all highway. The car's mpg has been dropping steadily and Toyota basically told me 'good luck getting any compensation because the car is still running.' I am now getting 18.4mpg for a car that is advertised to get 30 average mpg. Looks like I am stuck with this lemon for the next year and a half. DON'T BUY TOYOTA. If they covered up that their vehicles were actually dangerous and were responsible for the death of several people, what would make me think they would care that I can barely afford to drive my car!!
You must have gotten a bad one. I had two rentals that were 2014 Corolla LE's and they both got 32+ mpg in city/hwy driving. Something is wrong with that car or you're flooring it everywhere you go. I suggest using an app called Torque and getting a bluetooth OBDII adapter and find out why your gas mileage is so poor. The car could be running extremely rich and something is off. You could also try resetting the battery to reset the ECU and let it relearn again. Also, you may need to find a new dealership that's willing to help with an issue like that. If you can find the root cause and present it to them, it helps a lot. Going in with knowledge usually gets things fixed if its under warranty.

I like the Corolla over the Honda because the back seats have a little more room for passengers, and the looks of the Corolla over the Civic. That and Honda has just kinda lost its quality edge it used to have.

Hi. I'm to this site but I've had 1992 Tercel with 300,000 miles and have a 2001 RAV4 with 155,000 miles. Both cars have/had plastic door handles, I never had a problem with either car. My Tercel I sold in 2001, I loved that car. The RAV4 I'm still driving, the only problem I've had with it's plastic parts just happened the center console hinges broke, but after 14 1/2 years??? They build good cars, keep up with the oil changes you'll be all set.