Touch Screen Display Stuck in Update Loop

I have a 2014 Corolla S with almost 90K miles on it (I have a long work commute) and my touch screen display has shut down into an endless loop where it looks like the screen is updating the software or loading up the software (see this youtube video for what it looks like:
).

Anyone ever see this problem or know of a fix? Everything I've found online point to the dealer having to replace the whole system (like $7K?) and because I use the car as my commuter, I'm over the warranty mileage threshold.

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson

if you want you can remove it and unplug it all....and i believe there is a reset button behind the unit... here is the video on how to do it. its not hard to do just takes patience.. it is the same procedure for the corolla S LE and etc.

Hi Justin,

I was wondering if you still have the same problem and whether you could find a solution to the problem. The same problem happened to me almost around the same time as you post your question here. Before going to dealer, I search the web if someone else had this problem, and I noticed the exact same problem with the radio unit/navigation unit had happened with the Lexus cars, and some Toyota cars ("they didn't mentioned specifcally about Toyota Corolla"). Here is the link to it
[ Can't send link due the being a new member, you can search it use keywords : Lexus nav systems broken by 'errant' traffic and weather data ]

So I decided to take my car to Toyota Dealer and explain them the story, and after they gave me a 3 weeks appointment, I took my car there 3 weeks ago, and after 1 hour waiting, they guy comes back and say this Unit needs to be replaced, and told me you just went over your warranty by extra 5km. Anyway, I asked this is impossible, this looks to me just a Firmware issue, that could be resolved by flashing the firmware. Long story short, he basically told me this is what we are supposed to tell you from Toyota "You need to replace your radio Unit". Well, I don't know why Toyota doesn't take care of their own customer anymore.

Other approaches I took to fix the problem - but still no lucks

- I did unplug the batter for 5 minutes and plug it back and nothing happened.
- Search the forum and found that there used to be a way to update the Firmware ( you could make your own USB ) but the files were removed, here is the link [Can't send link due the being a new member, you can search it in the forum , use keywords Entune Audio headunit software update]
- I saw Josh Video, and I have to thank him for posting this Video, as I think after two months searching, I still have one option left before make a more expensive decision and go and buy a new unit or get a after market Unit :/ That shouldn't really happen.

Could you please update if anyone find a solution to this rebooting loop problem?

Thanks guys

SPW

I have a 2014 Corolla S with almost 90K miles on it (I have a long work commute) and my touch screen display has shut down into an endless loop where it looks like the screen is updating the software or loading up the software (see this youtube video for what it looks like:
).

Anyone ever see this problem or know of a fix? Everything I've found online point to the dealer having to replace the whole system (like $7K?) and because I use the car as my commuter, I'm over the warranty mileage threshold.

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson
).

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson

SPW

).

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson
Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I now have this issue with my 2014 Corolla with 78k miles and no more warranty. You would think a radio would last more than two years!

This problem started for me just this last weekend. I called entune customer service and support who told me I needed a firmware update. I got it to the dealer on Tuesday, after I tried several things myself. Unhooked the battery, took the dash off as suggested in the video, unhooked and re plugged in everything. Still no success. Dealer also says I need a new system and they can't update the firmware. I notice my USB doesn't work to charge my phone which might be significant, but I don't know. I have had this car less than a year. I'm also out of warranty with only 43000 on my Corolla. All I can say is I'm disgusted with the service I got from the dealer I took my car too. I know that there have been several people with the same issue. Please post if you find a solution.

interestingly enough, the manufacture date on the system is February 2014. My car is a Corolla 2014 S

Attachments

).

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson
$7k? Couldn't you get an aftermarket setup for like under a grand?

).

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson
$7k? Don't bother. You could buy a new one of those and install it yourself for $400-$500, let alone get a souped up version done for you for no more than $1k. Dealer is ripping you off hard, it seems.

This same problem just happened to my 2014 Corolla (50K miles) as well. It started happening on October 9th, and has been doing it ever since. I brought it to the dealership this weekend, and they said the unit needs to be replaced (estimated cost of $800). They blamed it on an "electrical short".

This same problem just happened to my 2014 Corolla (50K miles) as well. It started happening on October 9th, and has been doing it ever since. I brought it to the dealership this weekend, and they said the unit needs to be replaced (estimated cost of $800). They blamed it on an "electrical short".
Jason, sorry to hear this. Is it covered under extended warranty? I know I purchased the 60k mile warranty. Have you looked at an after market head unit unit from a reputable company? For that price, you could get a much nicer unit I would fathom. However, that us a much better price than the $7k that that a poster was quoted.

$800 could easily get you a radio unit leagues beyond that of the default Entune of Toyota (which is really garbage compared to the units used in almost every other brand). If it was a certified pre-owned, you should get on them about that, considering that they should have certified it and made sure that something like this "electrical short" wouldn't happen so soon.

7K is way over the top. You'll find 100150 units for around $400 on E-Bay. Unless they don't know where the electrical problem come from and expect having to search for it all over the car. But even then...

Sure Chris, looks nice, add backup camera and professional installation and I'm sure it's much more than 419.99 and steering wheel controls.

Sure Chris, looks nice, add backup camera and professional installation and I'm sure it's much more than 419.99 and steering wheel controls.
There's a unit called idatalink by maestro that connects to the cars computer where you can maintain the camera, steering wheel controls etc.
I was just putting this up for any interested parties. I'm like you, trying to stay with factory stuff.

Brand new 2017 did this when downloading initial entune apps.

Interrupted itself with an update failed message, but remained functional after closing window.

One day later it completed download and flashed itself

Brand new 2017 did this when downloading initial entune apps.

Interrupted itself with an update failed message, but remained functional after closing window.

One day later it completed download and flashed itself
What should I do? Toyota is trying to charge me $1200 to replace it, out of warranty

Damn daniel this is crazy mine just started this last week. You'd think with so many ppl having a similar issue they would have some sort of case open to fix the problem. Toyota is dropping the ball if you ask me I'm a little upset at my self for not looking into this here before I made my appointment I'm on my way to the dealership today to find out if they have an answer besides replacing the whole unit. Wish me luck boys

).

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson
This is 500.00 computer fix,Toyota wants you to think it costs 1000.00 then offer to split it with you. Making you think they are very helpful,They are not.

This is 500.00 computer fix,Toyota wants you to think it costs 1000.00 then offer to split it with you. Making you think they are very helpful,They are not.
hey susan thanks for that interestingly enough the rep who checked me in mentioned it may just be a firmware update that only the dealer can do. but what is odd I was looking into those said updates they supposedly all happened in 2014 turning the radio from one company to another via an update patch. I think the new radio name after the update is fuijitsu. ill b honest I hope it is just that cause if they come with we have to replace the unit I'm probably just going to leave the dealership screaming FOH hahaha

Well I left saying FOH they say the update didn't fix it. Short somewhere, Need to replace the entire unit. I'm gonna see what I do from here good luck everyone else.

Don't feel so incredibly bad. The other half drives a 4 yr old Kia that is 6k miles past warranty(66k miles) and the stereo/Bluetooth/xm/infotainment has taken a shiite. $800 to fix. Kia wants no responsibility on the Sportage ALTHOUGH it is a well known and documented problem. Kia isn't willing to even split the coat. So we are putting in a much better Android Auto Kenwood unit.

Don't feel so incredibly bad. The other half drives a 4 yr old Kia that is 6k miles past warranty(66k miles) and the stereo/Bluetooth/xm/infotainment has taken a shiite. $800 to fix. Kia wants no responsibility on the Sportage ALTHOUGH it is a well known and documented problem. Kia isn't willing to even split the coat. So we are putting in a much better Android Auto Kenwood unit.
How much the Android auto unit ?

It was bought from Crutchfield.com for about $700(great price) and $255 to install XM, rear and front camera(yes I said front). So right at a a grand. Better than a $800 POS Kia stereo.

Hello, I have a 2014 Corolla that has this touchscreen issue. Has anyone been able to get the factory equipment fixed without going to aftermarket? I called the dealer and they said it might could be fixed with just a software update. Anyone know?

Hello, I have a 2014 Corolla that has this touchscreen issue. Has anyone been able to get the factory equipment fixed without going to aftermarket? I called the dealer and they said it might could be fixed with just a software update. Anyone know?
If their Sim card update can fix it youre good. But if not they are gonna tell you it's a short in the system replace the whole radio. If aftermarket is not something you wanna do I've seen oem replacements online for as low as 300. So yeah, I felt dumb after the fact I did the aftermarket shit but there is no denying that my new system is like infinite times better than the stock system.

If their Sim card update can fix it youre good. But if not they are gonna tell you it's a short in the system replace the whole radio. If aftermarket is not something you wanna do I've seen oem replacements online for as low as 300. So yeah, I felt dumb after the fact I did the aftermarket shit but there is no denying that my new system is like infinite times better than the stock system.
Did you find aftermarket that is compatible to the car controls? ie steering controls, navigation, backup camera, vox.....Etc.

Did you find aftermarket that is compatible to the car controls? ie steering controls, navigation, backup camera, vox.....Etc.
You need to buy all the adapters for the new radio, and to get the full range of features that mine has for example you need USB cable specifically made for data transfer apparently that's a thing. I thought all USB cable did that, but when I plug my charger cable it doesn't give me the option to transfer data. Why I mention this is because for my new radio I can install all sorts of apps but I need to do it via a data transfer from my phone.

Hi Justin,

I was wondering if you still have the same problem and whether you could find a solution to the problem. The same problem happened to me almost around the same time as you post your question here. Before going to dealer, I search the web if someone else had this problem, and I noticed the exact same problem with the radio unit/navigation unit had happened with the Lexus cars, and some Toyota cars ("they didn't mentioned specifcally about Toyota Corolla"). Here is the link to it
[ Can't send link due the being a new member, you can search it use keywords : Lexus nav systems broken by 'errant' traffic and weather data ]

So I decided to take my car to Toyota Dealer and explain them the story, and after they gave me a 3 weeks appointment, I took my car there 3 weeks ago, and after 1 hour waiting, they guy comes back and say this Unit needs to be replaced, and told me you just went over your warranty by extra 5km. Anyway, I asked this is impossible, this looks to me just a Firmware issue, that could be resolved by flashing the firmware. Long story short, he basically told me this is what we are supposed to tell you from Toyota "You need to replace your radio Unit". Well, I don't know why Toyota doesn't take care of their own customer anymore.

Other approaches I took to fix the problem - but still no lucks

- I did unplug the batter for 5 minutes and plug it back and nothing happened.
- Search the forum and found that there used to be a way to update the Firmware ( you could make your own USB ) but the files were removed, here is the link [Can't send link due the being a new member, you can search it in the forum , use keywords Entune Audio headunit software update]
- I saw Josh Video, and I have to thank him for posting this Video, as I think after two months searching, I still have one option left before make a more expensive decision and go and buy a new unit or get a after market Unit :/ That shouldn't really happen.

Could you please update if anyone find a solution to this rebooting loop problem?

Thanks guys
Im
).

Appreciate any insights.

-Justin Nelson
Been having this issue since last year ! Really do feel this is unfair for the customer and more of a company issue !

Shit sucks man toyota really messed up because the radios have been a problem for a good minute. And for most ppl it happened after the patch that changed the software developer. I highly recommend you guys just consider aftermarket radio GPS systems, you don't have to get the one that I got but there are many aftermarket radios for cheaper than our and offer a better range of features.

If Toyota would just make all the patches and firmware upgrades available to us, wouldn't be such a problem.
Then someone could jailbreak the damn thing and give us cool features!
Personally, I haven't had any issues with mine outside of some static. But mine is not "entune". Just basic touchscreen, no apps, no nav.

My 2014 Corolla's entune touch screen radio had the same issue. One day the radio just stopped working, it wouldn't let me touch anything and it was frozen. I held the power button down to reset it then it started with the update loop and didn't stop for weeks. I was going to get a new radio for my anniversary this month but this Tuesday the radio came on when I started the car for work. I hardly even noticed because the radio didn't play when it came on. It played fine and when it asked to do the mandatory update I denied. The next day I let it do the update because I knew it wouldn't stop asking and it updated fine. I'm really shocked that it came back on its own. Especially after reading this forum and no one finding a solution. I think I'll trade it in for a better car before it happens again. Not fair of Toyota to ignore this issue.

If it constantly reboots or part of the screen isn't responding to inputs you need a new radio.

If the radio randomly freezes or restarts once in awhile a radio update can be applied that may or may not fix the issue.

If the radio update doesn't fix the issue than you need a new radio.

They are Panasonic or Fujitsu Ten units