Toyota Recalls 7.4 Million Cars

05corolla

Super Moderator
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-r...fire-risk.html

Toyota has announced that it is conducting a voluntary recall of 7.43 million cars, trucks and SUVs located in countries all around the world in order to fix an electrical issue that can potentially cause a fire. In the United States, the 2.5 million cars affected by the recall include approximately 938,000 Camrys built between 2007 and 2009, 77,000 Scion xAs from 2008 and 2009 and roughly 270,000 2009 Corollas. Certain Yaris, Matrix, RAV4, Sequoia, Highlander, Tundra and Scion xD models are also affected.
Toyota explained in a statement that the power window master switch of the aforementioned cars can become sticky over time. To fix the issue, owners have a tendency to apply commercially-available lubricants which can cause the switch to melt, smoke, or in some situations catch on fire. About 200 switch-related problems have been reported in the United States but the issue has not caused any crashes or injuries.
Owners of affected cars will be notified by mail starting later this month. Dealers will inspect the cars and replace the power window switch free of charge if it is deemed necessary, a procedure which is expected to take roughly an hour.

Yeah, I received a letter telling me they'll tell me what to do later on down the road, sort of like a "stand by for further instructions" notice.

Am debating whether or not to let some grease monkey get his mucky paws all over my interior (again). Haven't experienced the "sticky" problem others have with their '09s, so I think I'll just let this one ride.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least that many of those affected switches have had sodas, lattes, milkshakes, and other sugary drinks dumped on them. Just sayin'...

Huge number of cars actually. I don't know what's the problem of their company for recalls have been reported recently. It was said that Toyota, the automaker that recalled more vehicles than any other in 2012, has issued yet another. This Toyota recall only affects vehicles sold in the nation’s southeastern region, but cuts across a wide number of models. Check this out for an update: Toyota recall affects vehicles sold in U.S. southeast

I'm sure their sales this year 2013 will be affected by the said recent recalls. Good luck and more power! :)

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Mike, there are many professional and very good automotive technicians doing a very hard job every day. It might not be fair to refer to them as grease monkeys.

The repair is free and takes care of a safety issue that could cause a fire leading to the destruction of your car. I recommend taking advantage of the free repair.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Hi KittenC. This recall is voluntary and is Toyota management stepping up to the plate to take care of their customers. This is commendable of Toyota.

Toyota is one of the largest automotive companies in the world and thus by default, any recall they decide to enact is going to encompass a very large number of vehicles.

I used to own a Cadillac that should have been recalled for very serious and expensive engine issues, but it wasn't. Companies that take care of their customers and enact voluntary recalls are to be applauded, I feel.

Good job Toyota!

Huge number of cars actually. I don't know what's the problem of their company for recalls have been reported recently. It was said that Toyota, the automaker that recalled more vehicles than any other in 2012, has issued yet another. This Toyota recall only affects vehicles sold in the nation’s southeastern region, but cuts across a wide number of models. Check this out for an update: Toyota recall affects vehicles sold in U.S. southeast

I'm sure their sales this year 2013 will be affected by the said recent recalls. Good luck and more power! :)

Mike, there are many professional and very good automotive technicians doing a very hard job every day. It might not be fair to refer to them as grease monkeys.

The repair is free and takes care of a safety issue that could cause a fire leading to the destruction of your car. I recommend taking advantage of the free repair.
Can understand your point, having never being a customer at our local area dealerships. Allow me to elaborate:

A month after taking delivery of our '09 S (which I like, by the way), an examination determined the driver's door seal required replacement. The result was a new door seal with the addition of various scratches on the dash where it meets the door.

Some time later, I noticed the tweeter speaker in the door was loose, as a result of improper installation during the door seal replacement. As I watched the "technician" assigned to position the speaker in its proper place, it bacame clear to me he hadn't a clue as to how to proceed. He became so flustered, in fact, that he proceeded--and I have no better example--to "bop" the speaker hanging from its wire as a cat would bop at a toy mouse hanging from a string in frustration at being unable to release it from its tether.

He may have not been using grease at the time, but he did act the part of a monkey.

And as for the condition of our vehicles at the completion of oil changes, one area dealership has the particular reputation for leaving their--and I say again--mucky paw prints wherever they feel fit to leave them.

Now then, if my explanation of my true experiences at a bona-fide, authorized Toyota dealer makes you uncomfortable, you may certainly consult this forum's powers-that-be and have me sanctioned or removed. Bear in mind that I have not revealed the names of aforementioned dealerships. And as for the truth, I shall continue to speak it, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

Last edited:
Never actually thought of it like that
I speak from personal experience. I have a beautiful 1999 Cadillac Eldorado, but the Cadillac Northstar engine in it is a piece of junk! With these engines, the cylinder bead bolts slowly start to pull out of the block, which reduces the clamping force on the cylinder head gaskets and they subsequently fail. The repair? Oh, it's only abut $5,500 at your friendly local Cadillac dealership! :mad: I thought of just getting a used replacement engine for a lot less money, but the local junkyard wont even sell these engines used, because of this serious, in my opinion, defective design is so prevalent that the junkyard was losing money on the used Northstar engines they were selling, as so many of them were coming back for replacement under their warranty! :eek:

I've spoken directly to Cadillac about this issue and even though this is a chronic problem, Cadillac refuses to stand behind the warranty if the engine has more than 100,000 miles on it. I guess to them, if an engine reaches 100,000 miles, it's had it and it's time to get a new car! Has Cadillac recalled these engines? No! :mad: Thousands of motorists across the nation have been really shafted with this issue!

To add insult to injury, even though Cadillac in effect says there is nothing wrong with this engine, (as long as you don't put more than 100,000 miles on it! lol), they have discontinued manufacturing this engine! :mad: Oh, but there's nothing wrong this engine! :mad:

So when Toyota voluntarily recalls a vehicle to fix an issue, I salute them! That costs them millions of dollars, but their focus is to take care of their customers and I give them all the credit in the world for that! :)

General Motors? Pffttt! "Support American jobs and buy American cars!" In at least the case of GM, yeah, right! I replaced the original equipment throttle position sensor on this car and when I removed it and flipped it over, it was stamped, "Made in Japan"! Thank you so much General Motors! :mad:

Last edited: