TPMS 2014 Corolla

So this morning when i started my engine my Tire Pressure Monitoring System light came on, i checked all my tires and they seem fine to me, the one in the right front is a lil low but nothing serious. Anyways i was planning on filling it up a lil but i heard is not that simple and you need certain stuff to make it right like tools and stuff. Should i take it to Toyota or is not that serious and just wait till my next service which is due in like 2 months/1000 miles.

Happened to me I just told them the light is on and they took care of it ....told me it was weather related ... I call BS but it got fixed

Yeah i think is bs too, did they charge you? And did you take it to the dealership or their maitnance dept?
No charge ... Just put air in the tires and that's it I was in and out in maybe 30 mins ... Quicker than I thought light has not shown up.... It's been 2 months now

You can just add air if needed. The light will simply go off after a few minutes.
You only need to reset it with new wheels or new sensors.
Air pressure will vary according to temperature, that might trigger the light to go on.
And, of course, if it frequently comes on, there simply might be a problem with one of the tire... or the system itself.

My TPMS came on yesterday for the first time, actually. I tested all 4 tires with the Accutire gauge. Lowest one was 28 psi. The rest were at 29, 29, 29.5.

Since my tires are filled with nitrogen, I just went to Costco, pulled up to the bay, and they topped off all the tires to 32 PSI. Rolled about 20 feet and the light turned off. I think mine were slightly under-filled when I bought the car. Nitrogen shouldn't fluctuate much based on weather like air does.

Thomas

Mine went off when one tire was -0.5 PSI and another tire was -0.25 PSI from the good two tires. I filled them up and made sure all were at 32 PSI, and reset it with the button (though from reading everyone else's comments, I guess I didn't have to use the button).

Anecdotal note: when I went to one Toyota dealership for maintenance, they filled all the tires up to 35 PSI (which I lowed to 32 PSI myself in spec with the door jamb sticker).

My dealer fills my tyres to 35 psi which is not going to hurt. I recommend carrying around a portable air compressor as I got mine many years ago. If anything, you can adjust your pressure right away without having to drive somewhere.

I looked in the door sticker and is 32psi. Btw i was going to take it this morning to Toyota, but the light just went off so i think it was just a glitch idk ill ask them when i take it for service next month.

TPMS sensors
* it is not a glitch, or nitrogen doesnt fluctuate
ON our Corollas, same as other Toyota models are using same technology and sensors on TPMS.
When you have Nitrogen in you tires, the only difference b/w regular compressed air, it has smaller particles or whatever they are, so Nitrogen does leak still and will experience lower air pressure overtime. Very expansive to fill the tires w/ nitrogen. I never bothered having it in my tires. As long as you dont have air leak, regular compressed air is good still.
TPMS sensors, one Technician from Toyota once told me that:
* if our Toyota vehicle tire pressure specs at 32psi, thats the base value of the ECU starts the computation
* since TPMS sensors are transmitters, they send signals ONE-Way to the antenna & receiver to the TPMS ECU
* TPMS could be reset by pressing a reset button (press and hold until we see 3 blinks and it stops whilst key is ON)
or going +6psi & -6psi of the tire pressure for japan-built vehicles with TPMS sensors in
"sleep mode", so you need to wake them up by reducing the tire pressure w/in about 30secs to send signals to theTPMS ECU
- he said, if the ECU receives low tire pressure, the light doesnt illuminate until the vehicle has been drive above 8km/hr or 5m/hr for at least 20mins, some are
like within 5-10mins.
* now, if youre in a place with long cold weather, he said, theres a specific procedure to adjust tire pressures
* our corollas mostly came out with 4 TPMS sensors, until the owner wants additional sensor (needs to bring it back to the dealer to add/reprogramme it, some folks
want a full-size spare tire with TPMS sensor in it.
* TPW Light (Tire Pressure Warning light) is SOLID, low tire pressure , when blinking (either 1 or more sensors are damaged/missing or all is missing)
- if we dont have sensors in our tires, we can go to the dealer and erase the data in the programming so ECU will not lit this TPW light OR leave it alone
* Setting tire pressure on cold weather, corolla specs is at 32psi, heres an example, at 0 degrees celsius plus 3.5psi, -5C add 4.5psi, -10C add 5psi, -15C add 6psi
-20C add 6.5psi, -28C add 8psi

:) thats all I can remember for now

When you have Nitrogen in you tires, the only difference b/w regular compressed air, it has smaller particles or whatever they are, so Nitrogen does leak still and will experience lower air pressure overtime. Very expansive to fill the tires w/ nitrogen. I never bothered having it in my tires. As long as you dont have air leak, regular compressed air is good still.
Nitrogen = less leak, no moisture in the tire, stable pressure whatever the temperature or rolling heat. But not such a big deal.

TPMS sensors, one Technician from Toyota once told me that:
* if our Toyota vehicle tire pressure specs at 32psi, thats the base value of the ECU starts the computation
* TPMS could be reset by pressing a reset button (press and hold until we see 3 blinks and it stops whilst key is ON)
or going +6psi & -6psi of the tire pressure for japan-built vehicles with TPMS sensors in "sleep mode", so you need to wake them up by reducing the tire pressure w/in about 30secs to send signals to theTPMS ECU
- he said, if the ECU receives low tire pressure, the light doesnt illuminate until the vehicle has been drive above 8km/hr or 5m/hr for at least 20mins, some are like within 5-10mins.
10/20 minutes is rather the time of non-rolling movement that put the sensors in sleep mode (to save batteries).
They wake up on their on within a couple of minute of rolling movement, no need to play with tire pressure everytime.
Resetting, rather than a pre-fix ECU value, establish measurement standard. Hence the need to be sure that you have the right pressure when doing it, otherwise that wrong pressure would be the new measurement standard.
Same goes with doing it a bit away from other cars to avoid the transmitter to catch another car value rather than yours when resetting.

* now, if youre in a place with long cold weather, he said, theres a specific procedure to adjust tire pressures
* our corollas mostly came out with 4 TPMS sensors, until the owner wants additional sensor (needs to bring it back to the dealer to add/reprogramme it, some folks
want a full-size spare tire with TPMS sensor in it.
* TPW Light (Tire Pressure Warning light) is SOLID, low tire pressure , when blinking (either 1 or more sensors are damaged/missing or all is missing)
- if we dont have sensors in our tires, we can go to the dealer and erase the data in the programming so ECU will not lit this TPW light OR leave it alone
* Setting tire pressure on cold weather, corolla specs is at 32psi, heres an example, at 0 degrees celsius plus 3.5psi, -5C add 4.5psi, -10C add 5psi, -15C add 6psi
-20C add 6.5psi, -28C add 8psi
Yes, you have to take outside temperature in account when adjusting air (not nitrogen) pressure.
For the same reason, TPMS light might go on in extreme temperature than go off by itself as the tire temp settles.
With my winter wheels (no sensors), I rather live with the light always on than play (and pay) with ECU every seasons.