Trans Drain and Fill

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
So I figured out my course of action with my trans I'm going to do three just drain and fills with valvoline max life atf full synthetic and once I'm done doing that I will then do three more with but instead will be using amsoil atf. My intention is to try and get as much of the old fluid out using max life and then once I have pretty much all old fluid out I will then do the amsoil and try to get as much new fluid in there as possible.

PS I got a full large jug of fluid out of just the drain bolt I had the car fully warmed and then left it running right up until I was about to pull the plug then turned it off let it drain for about 15 mins then refilled it has smoothed out a little shifting and seems to be a little happier also there were no shavings at all on the magnet on the plug

That's a good idea to do in order to drain out all the old fluid and also to make sure the deposits, etc., are flushed out and not plugging up the transmission screen/filter, leading to catastrophic transmission failure. :thumbsup: Remember to clean the transmission screen so that expensive transmission doesn't go to transmission heaven.

There is a way to change all the transmission fluid using the transmission's own fluid pump, which will completely change all the transmission fluid. I have a Technical Service Bulletin on how to do this, but it is too large to attach here. I can e-mail you a copy.

Last edited:

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I'm going to just do it this way and then the last time I do it I will drop the pan and clean or change the screen and clean the whole pan and put a new gasket while I was under there I noticed there was a lot of dirt and grime build up on the pan I'm going to be getting under there and cleaning it all off...

I was excited when I found no shavings makes me feel good about the unit

Well at least check it out. It will save you a lot of time, hassle and money, plus do a superior job of changing the fluid. Instead of getting most of the old fluid out, you'll get all of it out. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
I'm not comfortable pulling the cooling line and doing it that way and I figure I should get almost 6 quarts when I do actually drop the pan and by that time it would of already had 25 quarts of clean fluid run through it an would have 6 quarts of brand new fluid in it at the moment I'm sure by that time all the old fluid is gone long ago and its going to cost a little more but I feel like this car has a good 300k left in it and I'm saving so much on gas every month IDC at all I've already put 8k on the car as it was and it is giving me good vibes I put the miles on quick I got it in June currently at 125k and the car is still solid only things that need replacing are mostly all rubber hoses and bushings which after 17 years is understandable only part of the front end that has been touched are the links the rest it still super solid..

I'm coming up on an oil change at 126k it will be a total of 5k on it will probably switch to 0w-30 m1 for the winter to help with the cold starts