Transmission Flush

05corolla

Super Moderator
Had my last free oil change done yesterday and they recommended a trans flush. Now every auto that I've had after I've flushed it( not at a dealership ) has lasted 10k after the flush and has gone to **** after and needed a 2k rebuild. What do you guys suggest?

Yeah i agree with using toyota genuine transmission fluid, but what about lubegard transmission flush kit. This product is highly recommended by many ppl. I plan to do a flush soon cuz i did a drain and fill when i bought it initially and the fluid got back to the dark brown color after about 10K miles, I did another drain and refill and its already brown again. So I am going to do a full tranmission flush, I already got the 7qts req to complete it and I got the transmission flush to go with it. it is suggested to prepare the transmission for the flush. what do you think?

Thanks for the info I'll let everybody know but the dealer even said to use Toyota trans oil
Any brand of transmission fluid is perfectly fine to use as long as it meets or exceeds the Toyota transmission fluid specifications of Toyota Type T-III or T-IV specs. As long as the fluid meets those Toyota specifications, it will do a fine job. No need to pay through the nostrils for overpriced, middle-man markup dealership, (many refer to them as, "stealerships"), supplied transmission fluid.

AMSOIL synthetic transmission fluid is the best available and is Toyota Type
T-III and T-IV rated. My brother's 1994 Toyota Corolla has almost 250,000 trouble free miles on it now using AMSOIL synthetic ATF. Here is the link for it and I'll get you the lowest prices possible of course -

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx?zo=349698

Last edited:
Had my last free oil change done yesterday and they recommended a trans flush. Now every auto that I've had after I've flushed it( not at a dealership ) has lasted 10k after the flush and has gone to **** after and needed a 2k rebuild. What do you guys suggest?
If a transmission is already on its last legs, a flush wont help it. Inspect the transmission fluid and see if it looks discolored. Use a clean paper towel, remove the transmission dipstick, wipe it on that paper towel and see how the transmission fluid appears. If it's a nice rosy red/pinkish color, the transmission fluid is in decent shape. However if it has turned brownish in color, this can be an indication that it's time for a transmission fluid change. Another way to check the fluid is to smell it and see if it smells burned at all, which is another indication it should be changed.

If you're leery of a transmission flush, you can always opt to have a drain and fill done instead where the transmission pan is removed, cleaned and a new filter and gasket is installed and then the transmission topped off with new fluid. This doesn't remove the old fluid that remains inside the torque convertor though. Some torque convertors actually have a drain plug that can be removed to drain out the old fluid. I'm not sure if your Corolla has one or not. Ask the service department of your dealership if it does and if so, then you can just drain and fill the entire transmission and avoid a flush.

Last edited:
"Toyota teams fluid", is not manufactured by Toyota, but an oil company independent of Toyota, to Toyota Type T-III or T-IV specifications, just as is any other transmission fluid that meets those specifications, it merely has a different brand label. The key here is to understand that transmission fluids have to meet certain performance specifications such as the Toyota Type T-III or T-IV specs. As long as the transmission fluid meets or exceeds those minimum specifications, (not all do), then the motorist is good to go. For the motorist to be certain that the transmission fluid meets the proper specifications, they can usually look on the bottle of the transmission fluid itself or consult the Product Data Bulletin for that transmission fluid. Below is the link for the Product Data Bulletin of the AMSOIL synthetic automatic transmission fluid and we can see it does indeed meet Toyota Type T-III and T-IV specifications -

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g173.pdf

Motorists aren't required to use high priced dealership supplied parts which are notorious for having a very high mark-up because of the independent dealership being a middle-man, which is the reason dealership parts many times cost so much more. So of course dealerships, (which have a well earned reputation of being referred to as, "stealerships"), are going to recommend the O.E./stock parts and fluids. Motorists can use any brand transmission fluids, oils, oil filters, air filters, brake pads, struts/shocks, etc., that they wish and as long as the aftermarket parts meet the O.E. specs, there is no problem. Indeed, many motorists desire to improve the performance of their vehicles and use better performing parts than merely O.E./stock parts, be it tires, brake pads, spark plugs or transmission fluid. This is why many motorists modify their cars for better performance than the O.E./stock parts, tires, brakes, transmission fluid, or motor oils, etc. can deliver.

AMSOIL isn't some, "savior of oils", but the pioneering leader in the synthetic lubricants industry with formulating the first 100% synthetic API qualified motor oil in the world way back in 1972 and is known as, "The First in Synthetics", (tm). AMSOIL has synthetic motor oils that are indeed recommended and warranted for up to 25,000 miles and this has been so for the last 40 years. It's old hat and certainly can be taken to heart. AMSOIL has a well earned reputation for quality that is second to none in the world. AMSOIL has a black and white written warranty that is iron clad and is proudly publicly posted at their website for all to see. What other oil company proudly stands behind the quality of their products like this?

Whether the motorist you referenced followed the recommended drain intervals in this case or not is unknown. AMSOIL Signature Series synthetic motor oils are recommended and warranted for up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, in normal duty service. If the vehicle is operated in short trip, stop and go severe service usage then the recommended drain interval is 15,000 miles or one year, again whichever comes first. So if the consumer ignored the recommended drain intervals, then that is their responsibility, not the products. To make disparaging remarks about the quality and reputation of a product without knowing all the facts, might not be ethical.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2488.pdf

(Emphasis is mine).

"Automakers may not void warranties based solely on an owner’s practice of extending oil drain intervals. Dealership personnel and district managers may be unaware of the serviceability of synthetic oils over an extended period, but they may not summarily dismiss a warranty claim based on the owner’s practice of changing oil at extended intervals. To do so does not disprove a defect in manufacture or workmanship as the immediate cause of failure. Vehicle owners may appeal to a factory representative if the dealership and district manager do not satisfactorily settle the warranty claim. Factory representatives appreciate the value of used oil analysis and do consider preventive maintenance oil analysis reports in their evaluations of warranty claims, while post-failure oil analysis is critically important to the disposition of a warranty claim. Their findings pull more weight than the opinions of dealerships or district managers".

"AMSOIL offers superior synthetic motor oils fully capable of providing extended drain service. AMSOIL is committed to backing its products, as well as protecting the interests of its customers. Therefore, AMSOIL INC. offers its customers a limited warranty. “AMSOIL INC. warrants that the use of its lubricants will not cause mechanical damage to any mechanically sound equipment when AMSOIL INC. products are used in full compliance with the company’s recommendations and instructions.” AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are formulated to surpass engine test specifications, offering superior protection for extended drain intervals. With its unparalleled oil and warranty program, AMSOIL offers consumers unprecedented protection and economics. See www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx?zo=349698 to view the AMSOIL limited warranty for lubricant and filtration products".

"The vehicle manufacturer may not specify by brand name the products you may use in your vehicle. The Magnuson-Moss Act is a U.S. federal law which states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product, including lubricants, unless that part is provided by the manufacturer free of charge. To do otherwise constitutes an infringement upon free trade. If any representative of the vehicle dealership or manufacturer informs you that you must use a specific brand of lubricant or filter, obtain a written statement to that effect and send a copy to AMSOIL INC. AMSOIL will call the entity directly to correct the situation".

"Customers are covered. As long as customers maintain their vehicles properly and follow either the vehicle manufacturer recommendations or AMSOIL recommendations, their vehicles are warranted against failure by either the vehicle manufacturer or AMSOIL INC. In the unlikely event of an AMSOIL lubrication-related issue, the AMSOIL limited warranty covers the cost to repair or replace the damaged components".

In my opinion, to imply that other brand parts or transmission fluids are not as good as the O.E./stock Toyota parts or fluids, (especially when they already meet or exceed Toyota specifications), is violating the spirit of the Magnuson-Moss Act federal law, is an infringement upon free trade and is a dis-service to motorists, in order to line the pockets of independent dealerships.

stick with Toyota teams fluid. There may be other cheaper "comparable" fluids but you never know exactly what you're gonna get. A $1 bottle of ATF vs a $3 of ATF... There's a reason they cost more.

And if you insist on using some sort of additive flush kit, go ahead. But I would highly recommend against it.

And I'm sorry, but you can't always count on the claims that certain synthetic oils are the savior of oils... For example Amsoil has some motor oil they claim will go 25,000 miles before a change... We had a customer at the dealer that took this to heart. They changed the filter a couple times but made it to about 22k without any oil changes on record. Motor seized up and threw an absolute fit when we wouldn't warranty the engine. Car only had 27k on it. Their only argument was the bottle they brought in that said it was good for 25k miles. I don't think amsoil ever bought them a new engine either...

Many of these flush additives fall under the same story. I have a ton of examples of transmissions magically coming apart very shortly after using that crap.

Last edited:
By the way, why did they recommend a transmission flush? What did they base their recommendation on?

Aloha all,

New guy here with a 2008 bone stock base model corolla (actually mom's ride).
She bought it used and just took it in for fee oil change at 33,000 miles and they recommended a drain and refill w/ pan cleaning and new filter for $250. I asked if fluid was bad and they said "not yet" but it is recommended maintenance. (fluid has not been changed since new).

I checked fluid at home and it looks med/dark red and smells normal. I can do a drain and refill myself but do I really need to drop the pan and change the filter(which I believe is only the wire mesh type)? I'm only going to stick w/ the OEM recommended fluid. Lastly, the car is driven very lightly since my mom is really a little old lady:), how often do these corollas need auto trans fluid changes?

No you don't need to drop the pan unless the cork gasket is leaking which it shouldn't be yet. A simple drain and fill is fine. Should take between 3.5-4.5 qts to refill. Do this once every 30k and you won't have any worries or need for anything additional.
Sounds good, thanks for the reply!

I've changed my tranny fluid on many diffrent "rollas" over the years. Never had a problem with this method. Underneath the car is a tranny pan (looks sorta like the oil pan) with the fluid hot remove plug drain fluid. Refill with Toyota Type IV. drive car 1000 miles do it again. drive 1000 do it again. This will get all the old tranny fluid out of the torque converter. A tool I use in winter when I don't want to put cars up on stands/ramps is a Moeller Fluid Extractor. Connect the tubes put it down the dipstick tube. Pump it a few times it'll create a vacume and suck up all the oil/tranny fluid. Works great on my cars boat etc. Nice gadget.

Like really!! I wished I had known that before. I would have invested in that Product. I recently did a DIY transmission flush on my 05 rolla. I changed the filter, cleaned the pan refilled with a cheap alternative transmission fluid. Unclamp the line going to the transmission cooler and place a bucket to collect old fluid, then just started the engine. While the fluid was being pumped out from the torque converter(I Assume) i was replacing the fluid using Toyota type IV fluid through the dipstick tube. It took 7 quarts(7bottles) exactly to refill. I got the cherry red color on the dipstick I was hoping to get. The fluid in the bucket was a purpleish brown color and I use to get a burnt scent from the fluid on dipstick. I also included an automatic transmission protectant from Lubegard which is claimed to keep transmssion running cooler and protect transmission. I Feel BETTER about SilverBlitz now

If I may ask, why use a cheap transmission fluid and then add in a pour in transmission fluid additive, which increases the cost of the whole operation? Why not just use a good transmission fluid from the get go and no pour in additives instead?

Below is an article with test results discussing the detrimental and potential damaging affects of pour in automatic transmission fluid additives. Beware!

http://www.amsoil.com//techservicesbulletin/Drivetrain/TSB%20DT-2010-09-24_Automatic_Transmission_Fluid_Additives.pdf

Just drain and fill with toyota ATF, did it on my 03 corolla, which took about almost 4 bottles, worth the $40-$50, the first drained fluid was so thick like liquid chocolate, 2nd drain, was a lot better although color was still dark, at least the dipsticks color showed red/pink. 2 more drain i'll be extending the interval from 3000 to 10000/15000.

Last edited:
Drain mine and fill with toyota atf (came to be almost 4 bottles $50) twice already along with the last 2 engine oil changes. Both engine and transmission fluids were thick like liquid chocolate, so that's why I've been doing both engine/trans fluids changes @3000 with Toyota ATF and synthetic oil for the last 6000miles, synthetic oil filter does a great job in capturing sludges(although I flushed a lot of sludges out before I started using synthetic oils). Going to do it 2 more times then changing the intervals to 6000, and see from there maybe eventually 10000, 15000 to keep the cost down, anyhow, $50 per change of transmission oil is actually worth it in my situation with old car, sludges, previous owner never changed trans oil and was using thicker oil at a much longer interval like 7500. My friend was amazed the very first time he opened my engine cap and saw so much sludges on the cap. Hope this helps my fellow Rollas.

No Scott, I used cheap transmission fluid to full it up back after changing the filter and cleaning the pan. Then flush out all the fluid via the transmission cooler in line and replace the flushed out fluid with OEM Toyota Type IV transmission fluid via the dipstick tube. When finished add the transmission additive. Its working great so far, not that I have been having problems before. Its just that the burnt scent from the fluid was bothering, also the brown color, which are good indications to change the fluid. There wasnt any metal shavings deposited on the magnets that were on the bottom of the pan to indicate transmission damage. I think that the fluid that i was given at the dealer was not the original fluid. Reasons being that the said dealership has been closed down and I thought that the fluid was extra cheap. Anyway, ALL is WELL now. Would give you updates if any change for the worst is noticed, which I highly doubt.

Do I need a new gasket for the transmission drain plug (if there is one)? Haven't done any work on the corolla yet and going to do a simple drain/refill. Going to buy atf from dealer so I can use receipts to log when I do drain/refills.

Do I need a new gasket for the transmission drain plug (if there is one)? Haven't done any work on the corolla yet and going to do a simple drain/refill. Going to buy atf from dealer so I can use receipts to log when I do drain/refills.
If the transmission pan has a drain plug it could have a gasket, yes. You'll have to look at it. Just draining and refilling the ATF wont replace all of it as there will be several quarts of old ATF remaining inside the torque converter. So you'll end up with a few quarts of new ATF mixed with a few quarts of old ATT mixed together. It's rather like taking a shower with your socks and underwear on.

Buying ATF from a new car dealer will be vacuuming your wallet dry. There's no need for that. There are many transmission fluids that are meet or exceed Toyota T-IV specifications. Check out my website below.

GRT

If the transmission pan has a drain plug it could have a gasket, yes. You'll have to look at it. Just draining and refilling the ATF wont replace all of it as there will be several quarts of old ATF remaining inside the torque converter. So you'll end up with a few quarts of new ATF mixed with a few quarts of old ATT mixed together. It's rather like taking a shower with your socks and underwear on.

Buying ATF from a new car dealer will be vacuuming your wallet dry. There's no need for that. There are many transmission fluids that are meet or exceed Toyota T-IV specifications. Check out my website below.

GRT

I just paid 44.00 for (6) quarts of Toyota T-IV ATF for my 2007 Corolla. That is cheap by comparison to Amsoil a good enough for the application.