VIDEO - Fuel Filters - How Important?

Below is a link to a video about fuel filters. Are there any real differences between a low priced fuel filter and a higher priced fuel filter? Aren't they all the same? The video will answer this for you, as well as show you how fuel filters work. It's an interesting video.

On a side note, I personally recommend changing fuel filters every 50,000 miles, (unless the vehicle manufacturer recommends less than that). Why? Because fuel filters are in-line in the fuel line from the gas tank to the engine and as the fuel filter does its job and becomes clogged with dirt, it makes it harder and harder for the electric fuel pump to pump fuel though the clogged filter. This can cause the electric fuel pump to work very hard, causing it to fail prematurely and with fuel pumps now located inside the gas tank, they are a very labor intensive job to replace. In other words, costly. The price for a fuel pump replacement for the average car is around $500 or so. A good quality fuel filter only costs about $20-$30 for the filter itself and about $60-$70 installed, total. So take your pick which you'd rather spend.

I can provide high quality Mann fuel filters to Corolla forum members at good prices for you.

Enjoy the video. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, I can't open this link. I will try again. But don't you have to take out the tank to replace the filter. That is what the dealer told us.

That's correct, it's not necessary to remove the fuel tank to replace the fuel filter, (which is in-line with the fuel line), but with most vehicles it is necessary to remove the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump inside of it that failed because of a neglected fuel filter causing it to fail.

Thanks for letting me know about the video link. I updated it, so try it again and let me know if it now works for you.

Last edited: