VIDEO - K&N Air Filter - RIP OFF?

that guy is lazy lol ive had my k&n filter for 5 yrs and the same cleaning kit. only takes like 2 hrs to dry in the sun plus a little mist in the intake will help with predetonation

Hold that, "filter", up to a strong light and you may see unobstructed beams of light shining straight through it. If we can see unobstructed light beams through the, "filtration media", what does that say about the ability, (or lack thereof), to filter out abrasive, engine wearing, airborne ingested dirt? This factor isn't a consideration for a race car of course as their engines are rebuilt regularly, but for a street car this is a very serious consideration.

Last edited:
The old school cotton gauze air filters wont make an engine blow up. However, if they aren't doing an effective job of removing airborne ingested dirt particles, this will cause premature engine wear and wont be something that a motorist could directly correlate to the air filter not doing a very good job of filtration. So hey, "It works great!". :unsure:

Honestly, haven't had the opportunity to see. Now that winter is finally over (fingers crossed) I will check it out this weekend

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mojosapi - As I mentioned, clear beams of light showing through the, "filtration media". :blink::eek::mad: It pains me to see people use this kind of air filter with a street driven car. With your permission, I'd like to download your photograph to show to other people. Seeing is believing as they say.

What year and engine size Corolla do you drive? I might have something better for your car.

mojosapi - Here is a quote about air filters and how they can correlate to engine wear from the AMSOIL brochure, "Motor Oil and Filtration Guide" -

What Causes Engine Wear?

"Automotive experts agree dirt is the number-one cause of engine wear. In fact, analysis by Federal-Mogul Corporation reveals that 43.4 percent of all engine bearing distress is caused by dirt.

Dirt particles are extremely abrasive, consisting of razor-like flakes of road dust and airborne grit drawn into the engine through the intake manifold. Along with manufacturing scarf and wear-metal particles generated inside the engine, these particles are carried by the oil into the precision clearances between bearings and other moving parts, where they grind and gouge surfaces, alter clearances and generate more abrasive debris. As this wear cycle continues, precision components become sloppy and fatigued until they fail altogether.

Filtration is the key to preventing costly engine repairs caused by dirt, removing contaminants by trapping and holding them outside the system of oil circulation. Truly effective filters must capture contaminants of all types and sizes. AMSOIL offers a complete line of sophisticated filtration products designed to offer the best protection available against virtually all harmful engine contaminants".

How Do You Stop Engine Wear?

"Air Filtration
An engine “breathes” air to mix with fuel for combustion – about 9,000 gallons of air for every gallon of gas. The air within one cubic mile over a typical city contains more than 400 tons of suspended dirt, and the concentration is much higher in rural areas where travel frequently takes place over unpaved roads.

The air filter is the engine’s first line of defense against abrasive airborne grit. It must effectively filter the dangerous particles without obstructing the vital flow of air that sustains the engine.

Conventional air filters quickly become obstructed with dirt, reducing vital engine air intake and leading to poor engine performance and low fuel efficiency. They require frequent replacement".

Use as you please, Scott. Note it was a very bright sunny New England day :D Please share alternative

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited: