VIDEO - Oil Filters - How Important?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Below is a very good video demonstrating how oil filters work and why selecting a quality oil filter is an important choice for your vehicles engine. The video is done by Mann, which is the largest filtration company in the world. These are very high quality oil filters and yet they have a very reasonable price. Mann filters are made primarily for European vehicles but they do make filters for many other vehicles as well, including Toyota's. My website lists these filters for Toyota's. Enjoy the video. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you post is very informative.
oil filter defend the engine from grit, and dust. Without having the filters the engine would wear decrease faster, due to the rubbing caused by pollutants getting into the engine.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
As the video demonstrates, selecting a good quality oil filter is absolutely pivotal to achieving long, trouble free engine life. Mann filters are very good quality. Always select an oil filter on its performance and not cheap price.

WIX, MANN or AMSOIL oil filter? Which do you recommend? Looking to purchase some 0w20 Amsoil Signature Synthetic and hoping to do oil changes only once a year.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
What about a 2006 Corolla LE? What would be the best Oil filter for it?
Thanks!
AMSOIL offers the Ea oil filter which has one of the highest efficiency ratings on the market, filtering out 98.7% of contaminants @ 20 microns. The Ea oil filter also has excellent capacity, meaning it will hold a lot of dirt and still flow.

Here is the online Product Application Guide link where you can look up your Toyota Corolla -

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?zo=349698

Toyota lists two different 1.8 litre engines for a 2006 Corolla LE and we can find out which one you have with the eigth digit, (from left to right), of your Corolla's VIN number. The VIN number will be on the registration and also on a plate located on the lower left of the top of the cars dashboard, below the front window glass. If the eigth digit is, "R", that means it's equipped with the 1ZZ-FE engine. Any other VIN code indicates the car is equipped with the 2ZZ-GE engine. I provide wholesale prices to all Toyota Corolla forum members for anything needed.

Last edited:
AMSOIL offers the Ea oil filter which has one of the highest efficiency ratings on the market, filtering out 98.7% of dirt @ 20 microns. The Ea oil filter also has excellent capacity, meaning it will hold a lot of dirt and still flow.

Here is the online Product Application Guide link where you can look up your Toyota Corolla -

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?zo=349698

Toyota lists two different 1.8 litre engines for a 2006 Corolla LE and we can find out which one you have with the eigth digit, (from left to right), of your Corolla's VIN number. The VIN number will be on the registration and also on a plate located on the lower left of the top of the cars dashboard, below the front window glass. If the eigth digit is, "R", that means it's equipped with the 1ZZ-FE engine. Any other VIN code indicates the car is equipped with the 2ZZ-GE engine. I provide wholesale prices to all Toyota Corolla forum members for anything needed.
Great thank you. The eight digit is a 'E'. So I have the 2ZZ-GE engine? What's the difference between the two?

Great, thanks Scott.
My engine is a 2ZZ-GE and it's a manual transmission. Let me check a PM.
Also, does my car only take octane 91 or higher? So super unleaded?

Regarding the proper octane rated fuel for your Corolla, I recommend following the recommendations listed in your owners manual.

Here is a link to an article that discusses using higher octane fuel than what is recommended for your vehicle and the negatives associated with that -

http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/high-octane-gas-myth.html
If my car has a 2zz engine, the owners manual says to use 91 octane or higher for it, if not will start knocking and cause damage to the engine. But I cant find octane 91 only 93, so that's what i have been using.
Is this correct for all 2zz engines?

Any other recommendation?
Go to any auto parts store, open the box of a Purolator air filter and look at its construction. The air filters I've seen always have casting flash around the outside perimeter of the air filter that partially covers the filtration media. For me, I'm just not that impressed with the attention to detail and quality, which one would think might extend to every product they manufacture. I try to seek out the best quality products I can find for my vehicles.

Ric

Take this for what you paid for it,,, its my understanding, from a few people in the business, that there is only about 3 manufactures, that actually make oil/air filters, and they sell them to everyone like STP, Toyota, Chevy, Jeep, Fram, etc etc, if you think about it, do you really think that Toyota actually makes their own filters?
Remember, that this for what you paid for it. :thumbsup:
I just bought a STP (air) filter being it was a little cheaper, I will replace it soon with something else.

BTW I've always ran True Flow, but I've been reading they are out of business :eek: