Vigorous steering wheel shake

Hello everyone

As much as I am loving the 36 MPG im getting out of my 01’ corolla, there is one big problem I had ever since I got the car.

Here is the issue:
After 45mph, I get an intermittent vigorous steering wheel shake. Steering wheel would shake for 5 seconds, stop for 5 seconds, shake for 5 seconds and stop for 5 seconds. I was told my wheel are bent. I bought a new set of wheels with good tires and the problem persists. All wheels are balanced.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Can someone lead me in the right direction? At this point, I can guarantee it must be a suspension related issue. I don’t want to go and replace every single suspension component just as a test.

Im drawing a blank, does that car have the electric power steering system?
Other than that did you have tires replaced when you had the rims replaced? If the tires are wearing uneven it can cause a steering wheel shake.

Im drawing a blank, does that car have the electric power steering system?
Other than that did you have tires replaced when you had the rims replaced? If the tires are wearing uneven it can cause a steering wheel shake.
I’m going to say hydraulic power steering. Yes tires are new with the wheels.

I am on my 2nd set of wheels so it’s not the wheels. If you go back to my post, it’s an intermittent shaking on the wheel. The shaking would never go away unless I drop my speed under 45mph

Vibration of the rudder may cause damage to the hub, which can occur when you hit a pit or hummock at high speed. This problem is detected using a special device in a car workshop.

If the wheels installed on the machine do not match the dimensions of the hub, the steering wheel will always be beating. You need to pick up and install the appropriate wheels or use special plastic washers.
If the steering wheel is beating when driving at low speed, then the cause may be a backlash of the steering rod. Repair the tip and hinge to fix the problem. Running the rudder at low speed can also cause hernia or rubbing on the cover. Another reason is the different pressure in the chambers.
Vibration and beating of the steering wheel - a serious fault, which requires immediate diagnosis and repair. Ignoring this problem can lead to dangerous breakdowns on the go, in such situations even experienced drivers find it difficult to keep control of the car. Do not risk your life, ignoring or trying to identify and correct the alleged defect yourself. It would be more reasonable to apply for help to professionals, choosing a reliable auto-service.

So what you’re proposing is that it has something to do with the steering rack and not suspension components?

And it is the same hub size wheels. I’ve experienced when I had a different club size a completely different sensation in the steering wheel play.

Vibration of the rudder may cause damage to the hub, which can occur when you hit a pit or hummock at high speed. This problem is detected using a special device in a car workshop.

If the wheels installed on the machine do not match the dimensions of the hub, the steering wheel will always be beating. You need to pick up and install the appropriate wheels or use special plastic washers.
If the steering wheel is beating when driving at low speed, then the cause may be a backlash of the steering rod. Repair the tip and hinge to fix the problem. Running the rudder at low speed can also cause hernia or rubbing on the cover. Another reason is the different pressure in the chambers.
Vibration and beating of the steering wheel - a serious fault, which requires immediate diagnosis and repair. Ignoring this problem can lead to dangerous breakdowns on the go, in such situations even experienced drivers find it difficult to keep control of the car. Do not risk your life, ignoring or trying to identify and correct the alleged defect yourself. It would be more reasonable to apply for help to professionals, choosing a reliable auto-service.

Usually, a worned tie rod end can cause similar symptoms. Steering can become sloppy and imprecise,the wheels can vibrate at certain speed.Symptoms are a bit similar to out of balance wheels.

So what you’re proposing is that it has something to do with the steering rack and not suspension components?

And it is the same hub size wheels. I’ve experienced when I had a different club size a completely different sensation in the steering wheel play.
98 corolla intermittent shake above 45mph. on mine I found the cv axle wiggles in the transmission on the drivers side way more than the passenger side. I will take out the cv axle and hopefully that will stop the wiggle. Because the drivers side axle is shorter it places a greater force on the hub going into the tranny. If replacing the cv axle does not fix it then it will most likely be tranny. I just ordered a new cv axle and will post results soon.